RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

fitting 8x4 in RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 08:09 AM
lexus_perf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fitting 8x4 in RX300?

I'm working on a home and would like to find a luxurious, reliable vehicle for work and hauling building supplies, so I would like a vehicle that'll fit 8x4 drywall.

So here's my question: can I fit a 8x4 inside a RX300 with the hatch down? If so, what's the best method?
Old 06-30-05, 09:31 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default fitting 4'x8 sheet of building material in the RX

My first question is why?

I would rather have it delivered or rent a p/up from the local home hardware/do-it yourself place for $20-$30/day.

It will cost you more in detailing to clean the mess in the car...

Try roof racks if you must, however, your going to have a heck of an overhang.

Last edited by Fern; 07-01-05 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-30-05, 09:57 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus_perf
So here's my question: can I fit a 8x4 inside a RX300 with the hatch down? If so, what's the best method?
No, it will not fit inside. If you want luxury, only Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator will do. Bring a tape measure to dealerships when you shop around.

The other option is to rent a flatbed trailer and tow the stuff. That's what I do. I normally tow 2 ATVs in my flatbed, but 8x4, pressure washer, carpet cleaner, deer carcass fit, too. Buy your own flatbed trailer if you expect to tow tons of stuff so you don't have to keep running to U-Haul.

Good luck and enjoy your home improvement (or demolition ) project.
Old 06-30-05, 10:22 AM
mmahamm
Driver

I'm working on a home and would like to find a luxurious, reliable vehicle for work and hauling building supplies, so I would like a vehicle that'll fit 8x4 drywall.

No. Get a Chrysler Town & Country.
Old 06-30-05, 11:58 AM
lexus_perf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmahamm
I am..................
Old 06-30-05, 01:54 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmahamm
No, he wants something reliable. Chrysler T&C sucks.

Cad & Lincoln can't match Lexus in reliability, but they are better than other domestic-made vehicle.
Old 06-30-05, 09:27 PM
lexus_perf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD

Cad & Lincoln can't match Lexus in reliability, but they are better than other domestic-made vehicle.
actually cadillac is horrible, worst of all of them, mostly because they have a billion bells & whistles that break and artifically make it look like they're unreliable because they have a large number of problems per 100 vehicles.

Lincoln is pretty decent, better than most domestics, even with all the breakable gizmos

i've been running the T&C idea past some girls and i'm not hearing positive feedback on the plan so scratch the minivan.

How's the 4Runner? They're slightly larger than RX300s, think a 4x8 would fit in there? Remember we're not talking hauling plywood daily, probably do it once every 6 months, but it'd be nice if i happen to be in Lowes to throw some drywall in the back instead of saying "hold on, i need to run home and get my beater pickup".
Old 06-30-05, 09:42 PM
lexus_perf
Driver School Candidate

No, it will not fit inside. If you want luxury, only Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator will do. Bring a tape measure to dealerships when you shop around.

The other option is to rent a flatbed trailer and tow the stuff. That's what I do. I normally tow 2 ATVs in my flatbed, but 8x4, pressure washer, carpet cleaner, deer carcass fit, too. Buy your own flatbed trailer if you expect to tow tons of stuff so you don't have to keep running to U-Haul.

Good luck and enjoy your home improvement (or demolition ) project.
suppose if i must i can get a flatbed but that defeats the purpose if i have to run home to get the trailer. I live in a large city and "running home" means 15 miles each way, that's simply too much time wasted. Besides I already have another tow vehicle so really i wouldn't need the RX at all then, and I already have a nice 01 Avalon that's luxurious, great for work and gets excellent mpg.
Old 07-01-05, 08:20 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Remove the front seats, sit on top . .

The only way full sheets of drywall will fit in an RX is with the application of a can opener. Too short and too narrow. I've done it easily in a Suburban, or a long WB Mopar minivan. Another thing to watch for when hauling drywall in a minivan or on a flatbed - WEIGHT! We hauled some "asbestos" (cement) siding in our old DIY-beater Grand Caravan without adding up the avoirdupois and nearly crushed the little beast! One piece is kinda heavy, but add 50 of these together . . .
Old 07-01-05, 11:17 AM
lexus_perf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Remove the front seats, sit on top . .

The only way full sheets of drywall will fit in an RX is with the application of a can opener. Too short and too narrow. I've done it easily in a Suburban, or a long WB Mopar minivan. Another thing to watch for when hauling drywall in a minivan or on a flatbed - WEIGHT! We hauled some "asbestos" (cement) siding in our old DIY-beater Grand Caravan without adding up the avoirdupois and nearly crushed the little beast! One piece is kinda heavy, but add 50 of these together . . .
well this wont be a daily thing, more like a every few months thing, not fixing up a dozen houses at a time or anything and i dont need 50 at a time either, if i can get 5 or 6 I'd be happy, like I said I wont be doing this very often.

i'd love a suburban, but with gas prices being what they are I just cant justify getting crap for mileage for a feature I'll only use every few months. The T&C minivan was an excellent idea, good mpg, could fit 8x4s, luxurious, room for 4+, but I ran it past some lady friends and they didn't like it so much. I got a image to maintain u know they did like the 4Runner though... go figure

What I need is a T&C minivan that looks like a SUV!
Old 07-01-05, 03:17 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even in the longer, wider Honda Pilot the best you can do is 4 feet between the wheel wells and 6 feet in length and still close the hatch.
Old 07-01-05, 03:35 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

What I need is a T&C minivan that looks like a SUV!
This just came to my mind.... Get a Chevy Express 1500 conversion van. No soccer mom image and you can design your own luxury interior. How's that?

If you are gonna do this once every few months, just rent a flatbed trailer or a Chrysler T&C and get it over with. Drive a Toyota Camry XLE for luxury interior and gas mileage.
Old 07-01-05, 04:29 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Luxury? Reliable? Fit lots?

Toyota Sienna XLE AWD
Old 07-01-05, 04:32 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I just finished reading the thread. Honestly I don't think anyone cares about "image" when you are loading drywall/plywood. Why don't you buy a pickup (new/used) and buy a car that fits your image?
Old 07-05-05, 07:18 AM
mmahamm
Driver

I guess the reason the Chrysler Town & Country and other Chrysler-built minivans are the best selling vehicles in their class is because they "suck."

I have extensive experience owning both chrysler-made and toyota-made products (two Lexuses), and I have talked with many owners of many brands, and read extensively on the automobile market. The conclusion I have come to is that, while Lexus is undoubtedly the most reliable brand, it is not fair to make such a blanket statement that a particular model "sucks."

There is a great deal of perception that is built in to reliability ratings, and Lexus does a better job of managing customer perceptions than the domestics do. For example, When they recalled some RX330s earlier this year to replace the radiator (which could break and leave you stranded with an overheating engine), Their TSB included instructions to the dealers to use this as an opportunity to demonstrate their customer commitment. If the same thing happened to a Chrysler, they would simply be instructing their dealer to fix a problem.

Chryslers have a perception of having transmission problems. Lexuses and Hondas don't. But Lexuses have transmission problems: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04343/423383.stm and so do Hondas: http://world.honda.com/news/2004/c040630.html . When is the last time Chrysler had a major transmission recall? I'll give you a hint: it's not within the last 10 years.

And Chrysler minivan engines do not sludge up.

Many people are very happy with their Chryslers. Many ford products are very reliable as well. As I understand it, Consumer Reports says the most reliable vehicle of all vehicles for 2004 was the Ford Mustang.

If you want to transport a 4x8 sheet of plywood and also transport your passengers and yourself comfortably, buy an upscale minivan. The Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, Nissan Quest, Mercury Monterey, and Chrysler Town & Country all can be had with leather heated seats, navigation systems, automatic climate control, and other creature comforts that Lexus Owners have come to expect.

And many of these are very reliable.

Quick Reply: fitting 8x4 in RX300?