RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 vs 2001

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-01, 01:54 PM
ndonhauser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone know what the new features in the 2002 model will be? Also, is it worth the wait for a 2002 model that will cost me about $2000 more than the 2001 model? My sales rep said that the Mark Levingston system might be in the 2002 model, be/c the premium stereo system for the RX300 is not compatible w/ the nav system. Thanks,
Neil
Old 05-26-01, 06:40 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your dealer is blowing smoke.

The current "premium" sound system is standard on the 2001 RX, and is completely compatible with the Nav since I have one!

If you are talking about the Nakamichi option, that's a different story. You can't get the Nak and Nav together. No big loss because the Nak system is NOT worth the extra $$$.

If in fact the ML system will be available for the RX in MY2002, no one says you have to get it if you want Nav. Where your dealer came up with the RX costing $2000 more than 2001 is beyond me... competition is fierce in this market-space, the RX has to stay competitive with the MDX which offers more cargo room.
Old 05-26-01, 09:59 PM
sleepybobcat

I agree with RX300TC. It is very unlikely that
Lexus will raise the RX300's price. In fact, they
should remain at current level, until the Canadian-made
RX300s start to come out.(anticipate even lower prices
to compete with US/Canadian-made MDX, X5, ML, etc...)

Nav is a must for me... Nakamichi / Levinson system
isn't. Aftermarket speakers(Dynaudio, for example) will give you better sound. Check the electronics section
and you'll find similar opinions...

I predict the only changes/additions for MY2002 RX300 are:

covered rear wiper(like Highlander, RAV4)

auto-locking of door locks after drive-off

possible rear or side window curtain airbags

availability of Lexus Link

I've also heard that recommended services will be
covered for the 4yr/50k mile warranty period on
all 2002 Lexus vehicle.... according to the service advisor
at the local Lexus... all the other luxury brands are already doing this(MB, BMW, Audi.....)

Bob

Old 05-26-01, 10:00 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

ndonhauser, I haven't heard anything about the '02 RX. I don't think they will change much if anything. If you are in no hurry to buy I would wait for the '02 anyway since it should be out at the end of the summer anyway...not too far away. I also don't see the '02 costing $2000 more.

I have regular sound system (240 watts) and I have heard that the Nak. doesn't sound different. If cargo room isn't important to you the RX is the route to go over the MDX. Quality will be better...the factory where it is currently built in Japan has numerous quality awards and the RX is among the least "problems per 100 vehicles" in JD Power and Associates.

Old 05-26-01, 10:30 PM
ndonhauser
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Price Difference

Thanks for the reply LexRX. My sales rep said that they wouldn't be able to take off the $2000 for the 2002 due to the demand for them. They said they wouldn't be able to start discounting until January. There is only one local lexus dealership in my area so there really is not any competition.
Thanks
Neil
Old 05-26-01, 10:35 PM
ndonhauser
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to say thanks to RX300CT and sleepybobcat. Also do you guys think buying through priceline is worth it or not?
Neil
Old 05-27-01, 12:13 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

sleepybobcat, those changes to the RX seem like that would be exacly what they would do. The extended service is a plus.

I have never used priceline, nor do I have any experience with online car buying at all. I can see why price flexibiliy on the RX's are so slim b/c they are so popular - maybe you can get a great deal on an '01. What area do you live in, maybe you can travel a little and get a deal. Also, dealers often times say they cannot discount until a later date when in fact they do anyway. Just, if you don't have to, don't rush into buying one. It should work out best if you wait make a firm decision.
Old 05-27-01, 06:58 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Thumbs up Priceline

I did in fact get our Rex back in January through Priceline and highly recommend it. PL actually put us in touch with a dealer we never thought of in our area which was only 35 miles away/45 minutes.

We got our fully loaded Nav for $38.5k back in January, a very competitve price, which I set after doing my research for pricing in my area.

Since the Rex will be redesigned in MY2003, I don't recommend waiting for a 2002 if you can get a great discount on a 2001. You're not really saving anything due to depreciation, etc. It's your choice.
Old 05-27-01, 07:18 AM
sleepybobcat

ndonhauser,

I bought my '01 RX300 back in October. It was the
dealer's first shipment of the 2001s.

Priceline.com took my offer of $40000 even to the dealer and it was accepted only 4 hours later.
all options, nav packages, AWD... etc..

That was a pretty decent price back then. I waited
for the 2001s because I like the new head/tail light
looks, nav package, black leather seats... At that time,
none of the dealers within 3 hours driving time had
one in stock.(in silver exterior/black interior with Nav)
If I buy another one right now, I would not accept anything more than $38000.

By the way, Priceline.com charges $0 for their service.
(because I'm in the state of Virginia... don't know
about other states' regulations...)

Bob
Old 05-27-01, 09:01 AM
2ndRX300

Default Re: Priceline

Originally posted by RX300TC
I did in fact get our Rex back in January through

RX300TC--------Do you call your RX "Rex"?? We named our first RX Rex and when we got the second, he's just Rex Jr. Nothing else seemed to fit.
Old 05-27-01, 09:41 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Default 2ndRX300

2ndRX300 - Yup, and what's funny is that I never, ever named a vehicle in my 20+ years of driving. RX = Rex just seem so natural because it's almost exactly phonetically the same. Plus, ours is Black and kind of reminds me of a big, black trusty dog. Rex just seems to fit.

It's fun to say, "I'm taking Rex out for a drive."
Old 05-27-01, 10:27 AM
ndonhauser
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone that replied. Sleepybobcat, you said that you would never pay over $38000. I was wondering why you would only pay that much and would that be for a 2001 or 2002? Would that price include that navigational system? I think I might try out priceline. If priceline does give me a deal, do I have to go w/ them, or can I take that deal to my local lexus dealership and see if that sales rep can beat it for me?
Thanks,
Neil

Last edited by ndonhauser; 05-27-01 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-27-01, 07:17 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Default ndonhauser

If you're serious about buying a Rex I'll try to help out. You need to tell me the exact configuration you want and the zip code where you live. I'll research pricing in your area and recommend a PL bid.

In most states the PL bid if accepted is considered a binding contact for their services, meaning that if you cancel after acceptance they'll charge a cancelation fee against your credit card. Not every state has these terms, so you have to visit the web site yourself to see if it applies to your situation.

The PL service charge for me was $50, so this is what I did when my bid was accepted: I took the accepted bid, cut it by $200, and then went back to the other dealers in my area that wouldn't give me a good price in the beginning. All of a sudden, they all could meet my "take it or leave it" price, but alas, none had the color we wanted. So we ended up going with the dealer that accepted our original PL bid. But if we had been flexible on the color, we could have saved an additional $150 (200 - 50, for the PL cancellation fee).

Let me know if you'd like some assistance.
TC
Old 05-27-01, 08:42 PM
sleepybobcat

ndonhauser,

I paid $40000 even for my '01 AWD RX300 with ALL the
available options, except tow hitch and chrome wheels.
This was back in October when the '01s started to
arrive. Unless there's only one Lexus dealer
around you, $38000 seems a fair price.

The offers you make via Priceline.com are binding contracts. If the dealer accepts it but you change
your mind, you loose the priceline fee.

In my case, it didn't make a difference in Virginia, as Priceline could not charge the fee to begin with. However, it turned out that the dealer was the same one where I first test-drove the RX300... it was such
a nice experience. Walk in, give them the check, sign
the paperwork and drive home, all within 2 hours!
(I spend more time buying munchies at Costco....)

Let your dealer know that your are very well aware of
the going price for the '01 RX300s.(but take into account
geographical location, options) I believe RX300TC got
his for $38500(with tow hitch and all)...

As for waiting for the '02 RX300s... I've not heard when
they're supposed to arrive. Probably not before
mid-summer... if you get the '01 model now, you'll be
enjoyoing the RX300 ASAP!!! Trust me, I've been
putting on almost 3000 miles per month since I got it...
you'll enjoy it !

Bob

Old 05-28-01, 07:13 PM
ndonhauser
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for all the replies. RX300TC, I currently plan on purchasing the RX300 in August. I figure by then I will know exactly what is in the 2002. That should still give me time to purchase the 2001 if I want. I live in Buffalo, NY. The second closest dealership is in Rochester, NY which is about an hour away. I have not contacted them yet about what they can do with the prices. When the time comes, and if you still want, I will email you and hopefully then you will able to help me out w/ price line.
Thanks,
Neil

Quick Reply: 2001 vs 2001