RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aftermarket Nav and Stereo upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 08:07 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket Nav and Stereo upgrade???

Hello,
I am new the the wonderful world of LEXUS ownership. I love my new ride.....2000 RX 300 but i got a great deal on one without the nav and now i am wishing i bought the one with it. No regrets though...well kinda.. anyways are there any options to by a lexus or aftermarket nav system? Also is there a dash kit out there where i can install a standard size single din head unit?
Old 01-25-05, 06:12 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wink Welcome to CL!

Don't feel to bad about not having the Nav option. It was not even available until 2001, and I enjoyed my '00 even without it. The simplest solution is a stand-alone Nav unit like those from Garmin. It installs easily, if not so attractively as the OEM, and has the distinct advantage of being portable from car to car.

I ran DeLorme Street Atlas on my laptop with an accessory antenna in my '00 and it was particularly useful on long trips. I don't recommend it for daily use, though, but I still miss that 14" screen. Because it has no "dead reckoning" feature like the OEM product, it was not too useful in large cities where tunnels, buildings, etc. break the satellite link.

A new head unit such as Pioneer, Alpine, or Kenwood, you're talking some serious $$$, plus a rather complex installation. I don't have any personal experience with these, but would assume that the drawbacks of the laptop system would apply (no DR). At least you'd be gaining a fine head unit - and in most cases one with DVD capability . . . . if you're not using the Nav, that is.

Anyone have experience with an aftermarket head unit with GPS?
Old 01-25-05, 08:28 AM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've found that alpine has a package deal with a 5.6" monitor (stand alone, not in dash) and their newest nav system. i've forgotten the model # of the package but if you do a quick search you should be able to find it. i have 2 main reasons as to why i haven't picked it up yet - 1. where to put the monitor! i don't want to just put it on the dash cause sometimes i go to some neighborhoods that can be kinda suspect, ya dig? 2. the stand alone monitor doesn't accept a video signal (ie from a dvd, game system, or tv). if i'm just gonna get a monitor and nav i might as well just go with the magellan or garmin. let us know what you decide on, man!
Old 01-25-05, 05:56 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe i will look into the stand alone units such as a garmin for my nav.... Thanks guys!!!!
Has anyone ever installed a aftermarket CD deck in their RX dash? It there such a kit out there that could keep the factory dash appearance? Please send pictures of any modified dash installs if anyone has some....or any suggestions.......Thanks again guys!!!