RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

3M Clear Bra/Front Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 06:42 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Clear Bra/Front Window Tint

What's a good price for the dealer install of this? They quoted me $495 and it seems expensive imho. That covers the hood area and around the headlights and then the back on the side mirrors.

Also anyone care to share what they paid to have the front windows tinted to match the rest of the windows?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-04, 08:35 PM
1coolexrx
Driver School Candidate

Does it cover the whole bumper area, door edges, around the door handles and gas tank area? If it does then it is really a good price. I was quoted for $995 but got it down to around $750. It covers the whole bumper, part of the fenders, fog lights, headlights, side mirrors and what I ask you above.
Old 12-29-04, 08:38 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1coolexrx
Does it cover the whole bumper area, door edges, around the door handles and gas tank area? If it does then it is really a good price. I was quoted for $995 but got it down to around $750. It covers the whole bumper, part of the fenders, fog lights, headlights, side mirrors and what I ask you above.
Nope ... just the hood and around the edges of the lights and the backs of the side mirrors. Nothing on the bumper at all ... just the metal area.

If I don't get it ... I know I'll be peeved at the first chip up there, but if I do and then get a chip on the hood where it's not covered I'll be peeved as well. Just knowing I can get it is a problem
Old 12-30-04, 09:30 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Default RX 330 Bug Shield?

Has anyone put one of these on their RX? Not the clear bra, but the actual molded shield? Was just curious if they look worth a darn or not.

Thanks
Old 12-30-04, 11:21 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Husker4the
What's a good price for the dealer install of this? They quoted me $495 and it seems expensive imho. That covers the hood area and around the headlights and then the back on the side mirrors.

Also anyone care to share what they paid to have the front windows tinted to match the rest of the windows?

Thanks.
Go for the LLumar product instead.....it's a much better product than the 3M one! www.llumar.com $495 is astronomical for the area's you want covered.
Old 12-30-04, 11:25 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Go for the LLumar product instead.....it's a much better product than the 3M one! www.llumar.com $495 is astronomical for the area's you want covered.
Can you tell me what makes Llumar better? Or is it just the same reason touted on the website?
Old 12-30-04, 02:23 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Ugh shield!

Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen a bug shield that didn't look worse than the damage it was designed to prevent. Go with the clear bra or similar product.

Note: merged clear bra/bug shield threads.

Last edited by Lil4X; 12-30-04 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Merging Thread
Old 12-30-04, 03:13 PM
Vampire3eb
Driver School Candidate

off topic but where in Nebraska are you? I'm in the Big O. Awesome weather but not for long
Old 12-30-04, 03:22 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vampire3eb
off topic but where in Nebraska are you? I'm in the Big O. Awesome weather but not for long
I'm in Lincoln ... yeah I know ... the weather will take a downturn I'm sure, but I'm still trying to get 18 in at Quarry Oaks tomorrow afternoon ... supposed to be about 54 with winds of 8-13mph. Will be a little cool, but a buddy and I are gonna do it. How often can you say you golfed on December 31st around here?
Old 12-30-04, 03:24 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen a bug shield that didn't look worse than the damage it was designed to prevent. Go with the clear bra or similar product.

Note: merged clear bra/bug shield threads.
Yeah ... I think you're right ... clear bra it is ... if they'll come down a little on the price that is
Old 12-30-04, 05:32 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear bra

You can get the 3M material in bulk on eBay. And do it yourself. I only did the headlights on my 300. The kit is made of thicker material.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/veh...pt_choice_id=0
Old 12-31-04, 06:19 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Husker4the
Can you tell me what makes Llumar better? Or is it just the same reason touted on the website?
The llumar product is much more 'clear' than the 3M product to start with (the 3M you can see glue residue & makes the paint look drab & dull so that will be perminent once it is applied). It's also ever so slightly thicker film with better adhesion & will not peel as easy as the 3M film. Bet it's cheaper (if you find the right dealer) to install. Good Luck!
Old 12-31-04, 07:53 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the info and the posting of the pics!
Old 12-31-04, 01:02 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

does the clear bra REALLY prevent paint chips from flying rocks in the highway?? Cuz if so, is there one for the windshield (had a trip before where a truck full of rocks hit some potholes, sending a lot of rocks into the windshield of my gx and making several chips on the glass )
Old 12-31-04, 08:59 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Default Front Window Tinting - RX 330

Could anyone tell me what they paid to have the front windows tinted on their RX 330? I am awaiting the arrival of my RX 330 and might just have the dealer do the clear bra and front window tint before I take delivery if it's not a complete rip off.

I'm going to price out some local installers too, but was just curious what you informed people on here think

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 3M Clear Bra/Front Window Tint