Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

Pics of the F before her Track Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 01:11 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! Can't wait for the vids!
Old 08-02-10, 01:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

With those tires the speed limiter should be kicking in at 162 - 163 actual mph. If the indicated was 140 - 145, you've still got some room to go, but I also know your focus isn't really on gauges at that speed (and it shouldn't be). Sounds like some data acquisition would be a good idea to find root cause. Could also be fuel starvation. The F has a slightly complicated internal scheme to get fuel from a tank with a hump in the middle. If it were pulling even a little bit of air it might upset things a bit.

Glad you liked the ride. I've been extremely happy with my car at the track. I'm really amazed at how good the car is right off the showroom floor with just a brake pad and brake fluid change.

What did you do for safety equipment? Harness bar? Single hoop? I saw cages in the cars behind you. Pretty impressive the F could run like that against caged cars without one.
Old 08-02-10, 01:55 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

Awesome. Subscribed.
Old 08-02-10, 02:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Loving the pics.......

If the wheels are TPMS compatible, you can pick up an extra set on ebay for $99 & easily install them.

Or

You can put that extra set in the back seat wrapped up in zip ties...

Just to eliminate the possibility of the system acting up in higher speeds.

Edit:
I have actually experienced some fuel starvation issues on the 1/8th mile track, but hey I was running low fuel that day..

Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-02-10 at 02:56 PM. Reason: corrected rubber bands to zip ties
Old 08-02-10, 02:36 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Yeah, everyone was like 'What have you done to the car'...

I said... "uhh... tires & brake pads"... They were like... that's it?

I also set the Front Toe to 0 other than that the way she drives every day.

I'm guessing the enkei's may be compatible... if not... I like the rubber band idea... wonder how it would 'sense' pressure?

All I did for Safety Equipment, was wear my Race Suit, Helmet & Hans. Factory Seat Belt. I don't plan to do many track days... so don't want to mess with anything inside the car in the way of a harness bar or something.

Peace,

Dave
Old 08-02-10, 02:46 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

I just now noticed your from AZ, what part are you in?

Let me know if you come across any track days or things going on here in AZ, I've been thinking of doing some HPDE classes and stuff
Old 08-02-10, 02:55 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I'm guessing the enkei's may be compatible... if not... I like the rubber band idea... wonder how it would 'sense' pressure?
Correction to my post... You would use some zip ties to put 2 of them together at the same time with a thin piece of firm plastic/wood shim in between them..

Once you zip tie them up, the systems will sense them as under pressure..
You basically, pull them tight equally to mimic 35 lbs or so.. just to get the light off.
Which is pretty easy with zip ties..

Joe Z
Old 08-02-10, 04:59 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Awesome to know Joe!

Infinus, I'm in Chandler... there is a NASA track day at Firebird Aug 14th... I'm planning on running my real race car... but may bring the lexus for fun in some sessions. If you want all the info, send me a PM, and I'll get you everything.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-02-10, 07:43 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Lobux... thanks for the heads up on the 1 wheel peel.

I'll try the first session with just the 'long hold' of the VSC... and see how it goes... When your car spun the inside tire... was it with Race tires, or Street tires?

I test fit the RPF1's as well... the nice thing about the PF01 is another 1/2" of Caliper Clearance inside the wheel 'drum'... and more than 1" of caliper clearance from the face of the wheel. The RPF1's were VERY CLOSE to 'wiping off' the 'LEXUS' letters off the brake caliper.

Thanks again guys! I'll give some updates tonight!

Dave
Dave, were the RPF1's the same size and offsets as the PF01's you ended up using on the car? Just like the look of the RPF1's a little better, but don't want to take any chances on rubbing these beautiful calipers!.
Old 08-02-10, 09:02 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Yes, RPF1's same size and offset, no problems. I chose the PF01's though... as they give a bit more clearance from the spoke of the wheel, as well as the 'drum' above the caliper.

I did test fit them, and they fit though... so providing no 'significant' flex... shouldn't be an issue. The PF01's definitely have the 'Most' Clearance'... but I like the look of the RPF1's as well!

Peace,
Dave
Old 08-02-10, 11:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Any chance you tried a PF01 in 17"? Tire selection is a lot better in 17". There's really nothing in a competition tire with the same rolling diameter as the OEM setup without going to 335 width and I really don't think that's possible without fender flares and pretty substantial ones at that.
Old 08-03-10, 07:26 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

lobux... I didn't try the 17's... but in I'm pretty certain they would not clear the front brakes. The RPF1's 'Barely' (like 1/4" of clearance from caliper to wheel drum). The PF01's have about 1/2" at best... so 17's would most likely not fit.

Also, from Enkei... the only 17 X 9.5" they have are a 38mm offset, which would stick out way to far. You can see in most the pics, how these tires and wheels are tucked within the fenders, and absolutely no rubbing. You could probably try the 285/35/18's... if you want a bit more standard ride-height, but the gearing and acceleration were definitely great with the 285/30's.

Peace,
Dave
Old 08-03-10, 12:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I tried looking for a 285/35/18 in Hoosier, Kumho, Michelin, and Hankook at Tire Rack with no success.

I'm sure acceleration was better with the smaller tires, I'm more concerned with scrub radius changes. It's bad enough with different offsets, but changing rolling diameter impacts everything from a suspension geometry perspective. I'd like to stay as close as possible to the original spec unless I know for sure what I'm doing will be an improvement.

I can always put IS350 gears in the diff to get acceleration. They're drop in.
Old 08-03-10, 02:25 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Suspension doesn't change when ride height is from 'tire height'... as long as linear.

Car doesn't know that it's 3" above the ground or 2"... when you're changing 'sidewall'... as long as front wheel height is in same proportion to rear wheel height.

I don't know who mentioned the 285/35... yeah... I've only run 285/30 18's (Kumho & Hoosier) and 295/30/18 Hoosier.

I'll send you a PM to go in more detail.

Dave
Old 08-03-10, 04:26 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I tried looking for a 285/35/18 in Hoosier, Kumho, Michelin, and Hankook at Tire Rack with no success.

I'm sure acceleration was better with the smaller tires, I'm more concerned with scrub radius changes. It's bad enough with different offsets, but changing rolling diameter impacts everything from a suspension geometry perspective. I'd like to stay as close as possible to the original spec unless I know for sure what I'm doing will be an improvement.

I can always put IS350 gears in the diff to get acceleration. They're drop in.
What about nitto NT05 or NT01? I think the 01's come in 275/35/18

Quick Reply: Pics of the F before her Track Weekend