RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Cigarette lighter port does not work, dealer says its the radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-19, 09:02 AM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Cigarette lighter port does not work, dealer says its the radio

I use the lighter port to fast charge my cell phone as the regular USB does not do the job well. I took it to Lexus dealership and they said the fuse is OK, there is power going to the actual cigarette lighter port but not conducting to the male plug. They also mentioned that they found some 'circuit' within the radio and the entire radio would need to be replaced.

Took it to another dealership and they diagnosed just the plug, quoted me $300 and change to get that replaced. Car is just out of warranty too. Looks like I'll need to search on the bay for replacement and attempt it myself.

Anyone experience this with their RCF?
Old 07-11-19, 09:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

The part from Lexus is $35. 85530-24010. You might also need 85535-30020 depending on exactly what is broken. It's $8 from Internet Lexus parts sellers.

That said, these things are really dead simple devices and it should be ridiculously easy to repair your existing unit. They're just a small threaded center post with a wire connection held by a 7mm nut (the ONLY 7mm fastener on the entire car). Unless the plastic is broken, there's not much to it.

I had a power adapter for my V1 decide to come apart in the lighter socket. It killed my fuse(s) because when it didn't work, I immediately put it in the secondary power port in the IS F's console box. It was definitely a bad day, but it was pretty simple to fix once I pulled out the guts that fell out of the adapter.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-11-19 at 10:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Apone (09-18-19), scrmnws6 (07-12-19)
Old 09-18-19, 09:08 AM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

I got around to finally replacing the cigarette lighter assembly. Problem is, it still does not work. Any ideas?
Old 09-18-19, 02:03 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

That's weird. Why is the cigarette lighter "tied in with the radio head unit"? Does your radio and sound system still work ok?

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
I got around to finally replacing the cigarette lighter assembly. Problem is, it still does not work. Any ideas?
Old 09-19-19, 05:33 AM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

i've seen a few people with this same exact issue and none of them have figured it out. I like to call bs on the dealerships, but considering nobody has had luck with troubleshooting it, they may actually be onto something dealing with the radio. Have you traced the power and ground wire back to see if it feeds to the radio?
Old 09-19-19, 06:55 AM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
That's weird. Why is the cigarette lighter "tied in with the radio head unit"? Does your radio and sound system still work ok?
Radio and the ML sound system work without any issues. Radio, XM, etc., all work as it should.

Originally Posted by OldManRCF
i've seen a few people with this same exact issue and none of them have figured it out. I like to call bs on the dealerships, but considering nobody has had luck with troubleshooting it, they may actually be onto something dealing with the radio. Have you traced the power and ground wire back to see if it feeds to the radio?
Once it gets a little cooler here in Texas I'll take it apart again and go through it one more time. I left the lighter plug unattached so I could easily work with it next time around as I had to break the stock one in order to get it out, did not damage the console pieces though.

Do you have any links to threads about others having the same issue?

Thanks.
Old 09-19-19, 09:40 AM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

if you are part of the facebook group, there are a couple instances in there. For Clublexus, below is are additional people thinking they had a popped fuse to find out a new fuse didn't fix the issue. Sounds quite similar to what you are dealing with. When i saw Lexus told you it was the radio, it made me think there is more to it that we aren't understanding since no one has had luck actually fixing it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-location.html
The following users liked this post:
scrmnws6 (09-19-19)
Old 09-19-19, 02:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Troubleshooting something like this is pretty straightforward if you have any experience with wiring. Check for power on the hot pin, if there is no power there, check the fuse to ground (not the ground wire in the outlet). No power to the fuse, then there is a serious problem with the fuse box. If you have power at the fuse and power at the correct pin in the connector, your ground is bad, and you need to find out where and why. All of this is pretty simple with TIS and the wiring diagrams. They tell you where the power and ground points are. It really shouldn't take more than 30 minutes worst case.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Mingofish (09-20-19), scrmnws6 (09-20-19)