RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Looking at 2015 RC-F

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 07:54 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Looking at 2015 RC-F

I'm in the market for low-mileage (less than 35k) 2015 RC-F that still has less than a year of factory warranty left. My budget is low $40's and for that, i can't find anything 'L-certified' or 2016 and newer. So here are my options currently.

Option #1 - Black/Beige - 22k miles - $42k before fees/tax. Includes all options but Mark Levinson, Pre-collison and Performance package - 5 months warranty left - 1 owner
Option #2 - White/Red - 31k miles - $43k before fees/tax. Includes all options but Mark Levinson and Performance Package - 5 months warranty left - 1 owner
Option #3 - Gray/Red - 26k miles - $43k before fees/tax. Includes all options - 10 months warranty left - 2 owners
Option #4 - Red/Beige - 4kmiles - $49k before fees/tax. Includes all options - 3 months warranty left - 1 owner

None of these cars are sold at Lexus dealership (hence no L-certification). Carfax report checks out with no accident/damage. Some show pretty extensive maintenance captured, some do not.
Option #4 is out of my price range but low mileage and color combo is intriguing although i think this car is over-priced.

So here are my questions to current owners:
Is Performance package really worth it? looking at it, it shows $5,500 extra add from original purchase.
Is Mark Levinson worth it? looks like $1,100 extra add from original purchase

Thoughts on these?
Old 06-26-19, 09:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

To answer your question, I have a carbon fiber/TVD RCF and it is totally worth it. The TVD in slalom and track mode really makes the front end very sharp as it adds torque bursts from the rear motors on each side to suddenly rotate the car. I was skeptical before I bought it, but after driving it for 2 years, I highly recommend it if really like going to twisty roads and like sharp steering response. It is not something you can only appreciate on the track as it enhances driving enjoyment even in city driving.

ML system is something I am not too big on simply because I don't use it. My RCF has ML system (and all other options), but I have never used my ML system since I want to enjoy the engine/exhaust noise especially with the full Invidia exhaust.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
ba2sy (07-10-19), Dribble (06-28-19)
Old 06-26-19, 10:17 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts

TVD is nice to have if all you want to do is get on the gas pedal and let the TVD do it's magic at corners.

On the other hand if you are a purist and you upgrade the suspension, much more exhilarating experience. IMHO you are more connected to the car. TVD to me is just one more thing in the way in terms of feeling the balance of the car based on your input.

Upgrading suspension is critical though.
Otherwise if you have no intention of doing so get the TVD, it will help dial out some of the inherent under steer.

ML stereo for me is great especially listening to your tunes through blue tooth or some of the HD radio channels.
Old 06-27-19, 10:17 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Thank you both for the response. I don't plan to track this car but sounds like performance alone is worth the option not to mention aesthetic look of CF roof/spoiler.
how about for pricing? is this what you guys would expect for 2015's model currently? honestly doing a search on Autotrader, pricing seems all over the place.
Old 06-27-19, 10:22 AM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I cant speak on TVD because neither of my RC Fs had TVD but I can on ML. My first had the basic system and my second has the ML. Major difference. Everything sounds better and the sound is significantly more clear. I say go for ML. I have a borla exhaust and even when cruising on the highway, the sound system is perfect.
Old 06-27-19, 02:17 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 619 Likes on 217 Posts

My .02.

Perf package: I like the carbon fiber part of it but pass on TVD. Mine doesn't have it but I had the opportunity to drive F models with TVD in autocross and on track WOT as part of the Lexus Performance Driving School. Coming from a dirt and street motorcycle background all my life, I prefer to be able to feel all of the natural feedback from whatever I'm piloting versus something assisted. Just me and my preference.

ML: I'm definitely one that likes to have a great sound system in my vehicle and as I've gotten older prefer going after the top of the line factory system than doing all of the aftermarket options. Given that preference, ML is worth it to me. My only other reference point from a high end factory system perspective is to compare it to the Bose system that comes with our Premium Limited 2017 Sienna. It's a complete system with split screen overhead display and Bose subwoofer. Great for watching movies but not as good as the ML for pure beats. Gotta have my beats mang.

Pricing: Can't speak directly to a 2015. I picked up a L-certified 2017 13,500 miles with Premium, ML and all weather packages for $50,500.00 about 3 months ago. I live in the silicon valley where pretty much everything is incredibly more expensive than most everywhere else in the US so happy with the deal. Your options seem reasonably priced.

Try to find one in Atomic Silver or Liquid Platinum, definitely the fastest colors And I know you can't find one now that's L cert'd but if you hold out for one I think it's worth it too if you can get a good deal from the stealership. Extra two years on warranty.

Last edited by sensai; 06-27-19 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 03:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sensai
My .02.

Perf package: I like the carbon fiber part of it but pass on TVD. Mine doesn't have it but I had the opportunity to drive F models with TVD in autocross and on track WOT as part of the Lexus Performance Driving School. Coming from a dirt and street motorcycle background all my life, I prefer to be able to feel all of the natural feedback from whatever I'm piloting versus something assisted. Just me and my preference.
You definitely were not experiencing TVD, if you could"feel" it as assisted. It simply is experienced as a car being shorter than it is and also the steering on-center response being sharper. It is completely imperceptible to driver as the natural responses of the steering wheel. You simply feel a harder response coming from the back and the throttle response being sharper through the turn. The TVD RCF has a slightly better inherent balance of 47/53 vs 46/54, which translates to better lateral G at 0.91G vs 0.95G

C&D compared both TVD and LSD RCF on the track side by side and they confirmed exactly my ownership experience is. While the LSD understeers, the TVD RCF makes the car slightly oversteer biased.

"On the skidpad, the standard RC F loses cornering grip at its front tires first, while the TVD-equipped car circles with restrained but consistent oversteer…

The RC F with the conventional limited-slip diff entered corners with pressing understeer, but in several turns made an abrupt, midcorner transition to oversteer. That kind of high-maintenance behavior makes the car unwieldy and more unpredictable than fun. With the TVD, the car’s attitude remains consistent throughout the corner. From turn-in to track-out, the TVD minimizes the effort required to hold the line.

There’s no question that torque vectoring improves objective performance, yet the strongest selling point for this differential is how the car feels from behind the wheel. Whether it’s at the limit on the track or winding down country roads, torque vectoring makes the car livelier and more controllable. Without it, limit cornering is a trying exercise in traction management, load transfer, and other subtle variables. The torque-vectoring differential feels like a subtle push from behind. Turn the wheel and the car dives in so eagerly and effortlessly that you’ll want to attribute its behavior to magnetic forces or supernatural powers. Or, you might just tell passengers that it’s all due to your peerless driving technique. And isn’t that worth the money?"

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-27-19 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 03:41 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 619 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
You definitely were not experiencing TVD, if you can "feel" it was assisted. It simply is experienced as a car being shorter than it is and also the steering on-center response being sharper. It is completely imperceptible to driver as the natural responses of the steering wheel. You simply feel a big push coming from the back or the throttle response being sharper through the turn. The TVD RCF has a better inherent balance of 47/53 vs 46/54, which translates to better lateral G at 0.91G vs 0.95G
All good, we can agree to disagree. Again, I've driven both hard including TVD on the track so I have context of what you mentioned and don't need to be convinced. There are others here that are with me and also prefer non-TVD. Again, just preference as I mentioned...to each their own. I fully respect that others really look for that feature.
Old 06-27-19, 03:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sensai
All good, we can agree to disagree. Again, I've driven both hard including TVD on the track so I have context of what you mentioned and don't need to be convinced. There are others here that are with me and also prefer non-TVD. Again, just preference as I mentioned...to each their own. I fully respect that others really look for that feature.
To be fair, comparably equipped, the steel roof LSD RCF is around 20 lbs lighter than the carbon/TVD RCF since TVD unit and motors in the rear are heavier than LSD so despite the carbon fiber, roof and spoiler, it is a bit heavier.
Old 06-28-19, 06:40 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I really enjoy the ML and perf package w/TVD in my white on red... CF roof and wing apeal to me, and I hate sunroofs. I've tracked and autocrossed quite a few cars but not my RCF yet, so I can't comment on track feel of the TVD compared to the normal LSD cars I've driven over the years, but on the street it definitely helps the understeer. The ML in the RCF is the first car I've owned that I don't have any need to upgrade the sound on so far.
That pricing looks right on to me, and that super low mileage car is not overpriced at all from my glancing around when pricing mine to possibly sell. I'd throw mine your way too, but it has 41k miles on it, so not in your wheelhouse.
Old 06-28-19, 06:52 AM
admnEffect
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I say keep looking. I found my Clean Title 2015 RCF liquid platinum fully loaded everything(M/L Performance PKG/ Carbon interior and exterior/ 20 spoke rims) 13k miles 1 Corporate owner Certified Pre- owned for 43k OTD.
Old 06-28-19, 07:59 AM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by admnEffect
I say keep looking. I found my Clean Title 2015 RCF liquid platinum fully loaded everything(M/L Performance PKG/ Carbon interior and exterior/ 20 spoke rims) 13k miles 1 Corporate owner Certified Pre- owned for 43k OTD.
WOW!!! Can't find anything remotely close to that. That's a helluva deal that I would've jumped all over.
Old 06-28-19, 10:05 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

yep, those are unicorns even within our heard of unicorns, but it takes a lot of patience and excellent luck on timing.
Old 06-28-19, 10:20 AM
admnEffect
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I found super trash deals to in SOFLO overcharging for trash crashed cars.
Dealers wanted 2015 no carbon no performance no ML like 40k and 35-45k miles. it's crazy as hell.

A buddy on Reddit told me to expand my view and just get a car shipped. I found mine in RockVille NY nice area and got it shipped a month later.

Be patient, you will find the unicorn and when you do jump on it man because there's others that are also looking. Theres someone here that got a molten pearl rcf fully loaded everything 7k miles for 45k.
Old 06-28-19, 10:49 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I waited 10 months of just looking and checking out until I found a unicorn. The only one in my city with this configuration. 8k miles, Molten Pearl, all options, 20 spoke hand polished wheels and carbon/TVD. Still has the new car smell in it.

Quick Reply: Looking at 2015 RC-F