RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Discussion: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs XL-Version Pilot Sport 4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 05:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Discussion: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs XL-Version Pilot Sport 4S

Started thinking my next tires either later this summer or potentially early spring 2020.

Some people might think it is a crazy comparison as it is a no-brainer especially considering I don't track my RCF, but seriously I only drive this car for fun while running some errands so I always wonder even on city roads how the RCF will behave with such extreme tires like the Cup 2? That curiosity really makes it difficult for me to dismiss the notion that Cup 2 should not be installed unless one seriously tracks his/her car. It comes down to how sporty these tires feel. Keyword is feel. I have heard amazing things about Cup 2 dry performance that they are super grippy, super responsive and super sharp to the slightest steering input even on city freeways and roads.

That is very intriguing as to what the absolutely best tire feels like on this car? Also, the Cup 2 are very light tires. They weigh much less per corner than the comparable size PS4S or our OEM MPSS. As from my previous experiments with my other car, shedding weight on wheels/tires has exponential impact on the responsiveness since it is rotational mass reduction similar to how a running shoe makes person run much faster than with heavy work boots.

On the other hand, the MPS4S tires especially the XL version with the reinforced sidewalls (like the one on the 2020 RCF) will take away most of my gripe about the stock non-XL MPSS. They seem to offer the best balance. I cannot ignore wet traction and also, how sometimes temperatures dip below 7C in the evenings in late fall and early spring, which is a recipe for disaster for the Cup 2 tires while I find the stock OEM MPSS perfectly safe in wet and even colder weather even on 5mm tire tread. Also, standing water is another issue on Cup 2, but I don't drive my car in wet weather and only in nice weather. Price difference is another thing.

Common sense easily tells me, MPS4S tires in XL version while my intrigue with what could the RCF feel like with such super sporty and sharp tires like Cup 2? Thought I should ask if there are people with opinions on it.

My question: It is all about the feel and not lap times or telemetry data. How much different do you think the Cup 2 will feel on city roads and freeway especially from responsiveness and sharpness during spirited driving than MPS4S? Do you think (or from experience), they will "feel" a lot more sportier than MPS4S or the difference simply does not justify the trade-off from pricing, tread wear and wet traction since on the city roads, there is very little difference between the two tires?

In Summary

Cup 2 tires:

Pros:

- Super sharp, super responsive especially to steering input. Really intrigued by how FR high horsepower car like RCF will feel with such extreme tires.
- Super grippy.
- Lightweight tires (23 lbs front and 24 lbs rear in OEM size, meaning quicker engine initial response)
- Still potentially fun to drive on freeways and city roads.

Cons:

- Less comfortable, harsh and more noisy (not a biggie as I drive on smooth roads mostly).
- Wet traction and especially if the temperature dips below 7 C (though, 90% I drive in perfect weather).
- MUCH more expensive and poor tread wear (not my daily driver so tread wear not an issue, but the price difference is).

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S:

Pros:

- The new benchmark for street performance tires. XL versions seem to be much sharper and responsive than OEM MPSS tires so a step up.
- Great wet and decent colder weather traction. Never dangerous as I have driven mine in 4 - 5 C and it was completely safe on OEM MPSS.
- Great tread wear and price difference with Cup 2 also a big difference.

Cons:

- Slightly heavier than the Cup 2 tires ( 24 lbs front and 27 lbs rear)
- Again, common sense easily says these tires, but how much better would Cup 2 tires be even on street driving experience?

Here is a good video comparison, which piqued my interest in the subjective scores. This guy drives his M3 sporadically like me and only when he wants to drive and not to commute and he says, with this type of driving pattern, Cup 2 tires are the one to have.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-16-19 at 05:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
ba2sy (07-16-19), BossMoss (06-13-20)
Old 06-16-19, 06:11 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

Unless you are just really pushing the car to the limit all the time I am not sure the Cup 2 is worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by CAHWY128:
05RollaXRS (06-17-19), AML (09-14-22)
Old 06-16-19, 07:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
Unless you are just really pushing the car to the limit all the time I am not sure the Cup 2 is worth it.
That is the thing I am getting that Cup 2 as long as it is in the dry without driving hard, still feel much sharper, responsive and with more road feel at 6/10th or 7/10th, which is why I emphasized the subjective feel rather than objective lap times. Plus, the 8 lbs of rotational mass loss is also something that really is intriguing me. I occasionally push the car very hard, but most of the time it is about how sharp the car feels when I am driving moderately..

For example, today I came across a very long (about 1/4 mile length) circular turning on-ramp where I pushed the car hard in the third gear (manual, sport+ and slalom mode) until I started to gently feel the rear end coming loose. I was pointing my nose in very hard to see how the car's balance shifts at the limit, which is why I started to feel the tail end starting to break loose first. I did not check my G meter, but it must be quite high. Overall, the car griped very well, but while the throttle was super sharp in helping balance the car, I just felt the tires at the limit started to get spongy as I was balancing the car through minor steering inputs. Again, the tires did their job with superb grip, but I just did not like the on-limit spongy feel of the MPSS. In that scenario, having a super sharp and responsive tire would be the most fun. These moments are far few and between, but I want to enjoy it as much as I can.
Old 06-17-19, 05:42 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Won't the cup 2 with even more grip make the car feel even more stable in those higher limit moments? I would suspect that will be even less subjectively (fun). Also, some of that spongy feeling is in the bushings. I realize that now.
Old 06-17-19, 06:10 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

The lighter tire weight is interesting.

I plan in the future to get lighter Rotors and rims. I think if I go that route the Cup 2's might make sense, but I really think I will stick with the MP4S.
Old 06-17-19, 06:17 AM
647TTA
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not familiar with your climate, but I live in North Carolina. I purchased a new Z06 Corvette in October and the summer only Michelin tires (I ordered the base tires not the cup 2) were useless. Even on the days our temps were up in the mid 70's, no traction whatsoever. By December I sold them and went to the All Season Michelin. Keep in mind how much shorter your driving season will be with the cup 2 tires. I'm only up to about 6k miles on the RCF and I look forward to swapping out the summer only tires that came with it for all-season next year so it wont have to spend all winter up on the lift.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (06-17-19)
Old 06-17-19, 09:41 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

In short, I believe the Cup2s will give you more enjoyment at the limits. More grip. More predictability. Higher cornering speeds. Lower weight. You've hit all those points. And yes, on an aggressive on/off ramp drive or canyon/backroad drive, you will be able to tell.

I can't answer if that's worth it to you.

For me, it would not be worth the higher cost, lower wear life and reduced driving season for that extra street performance. The juice just simply isn't worth the squeeze. I have plenty of fun with my car as it is...I would not want to make it less useful at a higher cost just to take some off ramps 5mph faster. Unlike a lighter, even higher horsepower car, you can still push an RCF on the PS4S tires. A buddy had a 700+ HP Z06 that had to have drag radials to hold the road. The RC F is not that. So for me, I'd pass on the Cup 2s.
05RollaXRS (06-17-19)
Old 06-17-19, 10:05 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Do the Cup 2's!!!!

I just put them on my FF! After going from winter tires to Cup 2 it actually feels like a performance car!!!!
05RollaXRS (06-17-19)
Old 06-17-19, 10:18 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

A few other perspectives from the P car crowd including use in the rain.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9590...in-rain-2.html
05RollaXRS (06-17-19)
Old 06-17-19, 10:28 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the input guys. Definitely, not an easy decision.

Yesterday, I noticed my left front tire has a small chunk of top layer rubber missing. It is very small and probably less than 1 inch wide and long. There is more rubber underneath the missing piece.

I still have 5 mm left all around. Not sure if it happened due to the hard cornering, normal wear and tear or some rock chip/piece of glass lodged itself in the tire, which caused the indentation. Do you think it is still safe to drive on these tires or I should start thinking about replacing them sooner?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-17-19 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 03:03 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you looked at the Toyo R888R?

Not sure how they stack up against the Cup 2's... but I personally think the Toyo is a much meatier and better looking tire.
Old 06-17-19, 03:17 PM
AgentWin
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have R888s on my daily and even with AWD it's super sketchy here in FL. A drizzle of rain is ok at slower speed, but anymore then that and its tail happy.
After these are done, would definitely be going with the 4s
Old 06-17-19, 03:19 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentWin
I have R888s on my daily and even with AWD it's super sketchy here in FL. A drizzle of rain is ok at slower speed, but anymore then that and its tail happy.

How are they in dry weather tho ? I know a lot of the high hp guys (1000rwhp +) use them.... So I know they are extremely sticky.
Old 06-17-19, 03:48 PM
AgentWin
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CK9887
How are they in dry weather tho ? I know a lot of the high hp guys (1000rwhp +) use them.... So I know they are extremely sticky.
I have not yet try the cup 2 so I can't compare vs the r888s. But even at a modest 570hp, the car never spins when launched. Road noises is loud but not much louder vs the stock dunlop. I was hoping for a dry summer, but it's been raining a lot. For Florida weather I would go with the 4s especially if it's your daily car. For a weekend car then cup 2 or R888s is a no brainer.

Last edited by AgentWin; 06-17-19 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 03:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AgentWin
Thanks. I only drive my car in perfect weather unless unexpectedly the weather changes from very nice to rainy during the trip. That is why I am not too worried about wet traction. Does anyone know if the chunk off the shoulder blockof the driver's side tire the size of a small rock chip will be an issue? I can see rubber underneath so looks like it is only the very top layer. Talked to my tire shop and they said the tire is fine.

Quick Reply: Discussion: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs XL-Version Pilot Sport 4S