RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Upgraded or Downgraded

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 01:20 PM
Dribble
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Upgraded or Downgraded

I am sure most members on here have dabbled in the sports car arena prior to the RCF experience. Based on what you have owned before - do you consider the RCF an UPGRADE or a DOWNGRADE and why? If it was a downgrade, it doesn't mean the RCF is bad, it could just mean that you came from a really bad *** machine.

Just curious what people have come from to the RCF.
Old 05-29-19, 01:24 PM
Dribble
Driver

I'll start:
1988 GMC Jimmy (first vehicle) - upgraded to:
1993 VW Corrado VR6 - upgraded to:
1994 VW Corrado VR6 - upgraded to:
1996 Trans Am Ram Air - downgraded to:
2002 Acura RSX Type S - upgraded to:
2003 Nissan 350Z - upgraded to:
2010 Nissan 370Z 40th Anniversary Edition - upgraded to:
2019 RCF
Old 05-29-19, 03:35 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Currently in the market for an RC-F, as I previously owned an IS-F. The RC-F will be an upgrade for me in many aspects like luxury and build quality. It will be a downgrade if we are talking about power or speed.

In the order I owned them:

1997 Ford Ranger (first car)
1995 Nissan 240SX
1998 Mustang GT
1990 Mustang 5.0
1995 Trans Am
2000 Trans Am WS6
1999 Corvette
2003 Lexus IS300
2005 Nissan 350Z
2002 Corvette Z06
2008 Lexus IS-F
2008 Corvette Z51
(3 work trucks in the mix)

2005 Dodge Viper (current)
2010 Toyota Prius (current)
Old 05-29-19, 03:48 PM
Dribble
Driver

I love the list. Nice choices over the year. I gotta say the last two kill me. Viper and Prius. What two different ends of the spectrum.
Old 05-29-19, 03:57 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dribble
I love the list. Nice choices over the year. I gotta say the last two kill me. Viper and Prius. What two different ends of the spectrum.

It makes me appreciate driving the other one that much more as they are polar opposites. I did have a Tundra that was my daily driver before the Prius. But my commute was killer at the time and needed something more economical. I wanted to stay with Toyota so the Prius just made the most sense. It has been a great car with zero issues.
The following users liked this post:
Dribble (05-29-19)
Old 05-29-19, 04:07 PM
Dribble
Driver

How would you compare the Z06 vs the Viper?
Old 05-29-19, 04:45 PM
AgentWin
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I love everything about the RC F. It felt great as a gt car and it was an awesome daily. Here my list, its shorter then you guys haha

2001 - Honda Accord - first car, it was a hand me down when I got my license in 2010.
2008 - IS 350. My absolute favorite car, probably because it's a super upgrade over the accord.
2016 - RC F, definitely an upgrade over the IS. Speed, appeal and basicly everything else.
2014 - Honda civic. My weekend car haha. Its hard resisting the sport cars.
2016 - Black edition GTR. My current daily. Its definately different from the Rc, a lot more raw - in sound and speed. Not as quiet or comfortable as the Rc F for sure but its apple to orange comparison lol.

Last edited by AgentWin; 05-29-19 at 05:19 PM.
Dribble (05-30-19)
Old 05-29-19, 04:51 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dribble
How would you compare the Z06 vs the Viper?
They are both fantastic machines in their own right. The Z06 was certainly better if it was an only vehicle. It was more comfortable, more compliant, better creature comforts and decent MPG.

Compared to the viper tho, it felt a bit numb. The Viper is just raw. Don’t get me wrong, the Z06 was raw as well, but not to the extreme of the Viper. The Viper is very analog and commands full attention, particularly if you’re trying to drive it fast. The steering of the Viper is extremely sharp and precise, the ride is much more harsh than the Z06, the car tracks with every rut in the road and the inside is cramped for anyone over 6’ tall.

That being said, I have Autocrossed both cars, along with most on my list that I’ve owned and the Viper takes the cake. It is the only car I’ve Autocrossed that did not exhibit understeer. It also felt more planted than the Z06 and despite having more HP/TQ, the back end wasn’t nearly as loose as the Z06. This is probably due to the long gearing of the Viper and the much wider rear track (345’s vs 285’s).

Once I get an RC-F, I will certainly be autocrossing it and I look forward to how it will compare. I know my IS-F exhibited quite a bit of understeer and the E-LSD just couldn’t keep up with the quick input and directional changes, I’m hoping the TVD of the RC-F is a better setup. We will see!
Dribble (05-30-19)
Old 05-29-19, 05:16 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

It is certainly an upgrade over anything I have ever owned. It is a fast reliable car. It is modern and safe. It is just a fantastic all around vehicle. Does so many things well. You can drive it all day and not be fatigued. I like the understeer, makes it predictable for me. The RCF I own is now 5 model years old and It feels like new. The car is so well built. You can never go back and build quality into a car.

I have had modded Mustangs that felt faster and louder. I am not sure they were, but they felt fast. The were so crappy on fit and finish. Plus, always having mechanical problems.

I had a WRX STI that felt fast and handled great, but not as fast. It did feel really good down a tight canyon road. Really liked this car, but the car beat me up and I could not drive it all day.

I have a 2006 Miata that is way slower but feels fast. I take people for rides in it with the top down and the sensation of speed is really high. People actually feel it is faster than the RCF, but it is way slower. The light car, top down and loud exhaust gives you a real sensation of speed. It is funny. I love driving the Miata, it is just a blast and you can slide the rear end around and just feel like a super star driving it. It makes you smile and laugh. It is the complete opposite of the RCF. Everyone should drive a Miata at least once. This is the third one I have owned and may become a dedicated track car down the road. They are cheap to run.

Still the RCF is so good. This much performance, quality and reliability is hard to beat.
Dribble (05-30-19)
Old 05-29-19, 05:32 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by CK9887

Once I get an RC-F, I will certainly be autocrossing it and I look forward to how it will compare. I know my IS-F exhibited quite a bit of understeer and the E-LSD just couldn’t keep up with the quick input and directional changes, I’m hoping the TVD of the RC-F is a better setup. We will see!

TVD is amazing. Key is to keep feeding in the throttle. I also feel, it works well under hard braking while turning. Standard mode is for balance while slalom mode is for quick transitions of the nose while I find track mode is best for long, high speed turns where there is a constant push (as long as you are feeding in the throttle) through the back as you go through the turn. For auto crossing, slalom mode would most likely be the best as it makes the car feel much more shorter wheelbased and the off-centre steering response becomes a lot sharper.

Dribble (05-30-19)
Old 05-29-19, 05:47 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Rolla, did you exhibit much understeer when you Autocrossed it? I’d imagine it’s tough to fight physics of the RC-F’s weight on a tight course.

This is why the Miatas and S2K’s always do so well. Or as we call them, the field mice
Old 05-29-19, 06:04 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by CK9887
Rolla, did you exhibit much understeer when you Autocrossed it? I’d imagine it’s tough to fight physics of the RC-F’s weight on a tight course.

This is why the Miatas and S2K’s always do so well. Or as we call them, the field mice
Surprisingly, if I brake hard (front end loaded) and yank the steering (TVD in slalom mode, most of the time), the nose really goes hard in that direction where I need it to go. I think the TVD makes the front end turn hard under braking. Once you get on the power (while trying to keep the weight distributed), the rear end would tend to step out a bit. I try not to unload the front under throttle and still keep some weight over the front axle and it will turn very nicely. I like the keep the pressure 38 read and 36 front. I will switch to stiffer MPS4S XL tires since the OEM RCF tires are quite soft.

Agreed, small and light cars would always have the advantage in very short and tight circuits. I have a highly modified 2650 lbs Corolla XRS with lots of suspension/chassis mods (and 190 HP). I can be care-free throwing it in small and tight turns unlike the RCF where I have to be cautious around curbs etc. However, if I can use the width of the road and extend, the RCF owns it everywhere.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-29-19 at 07:58 PM.
Dribble (05-30-19)
Old 05-29-19, 07:55 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 316 Likes on 174 Posts

Was somewhat a downgrade from a modded CL55 AMG supercharged.

The CL55 was a technological behemoth. Great torque and hp, was like a freight train in a straight line. The technology and luxury was stupendous. Every square inch was leather. Highly technologically advanced to the minutest detail. Even the mundane task of opening the front door was in itself a technological marvel, they had this unique way of swinging forward overlapping the front quarter panel then opening out to make easier ingress and egress. A seemingly levitating speedometer needle that swung out in a large arch. Along with every creature comfort you could possibly imagine.

Sound proofing was unbelievable. With the sound proofing and double pane windows once you shut the door its like being in a vault. First thing that passengers would comment is how quiet it was, no noise coming in from the outside.

Was a pain to maintain though. Had to put money aside for the inevitable problems and then whatever remained would go to mods.

I actually purchased the RCF on a whim. One day leaving work the AMG's dreaded power steering pump which also runs all the suspension hydraulics started acting up and right there and then I decided I wasn't going to sink any more money into it. Googled nearest car dealership, saw Lexus. Drove up there, let the salesperson know all I wanted was 2 door coupe and hours later left with the RCF. Knew absolutely nothing about the car, my only consolation was knowing that I had unloaded a maintenance nightmare and could look forward to long term Japanese reliability.

In short order I eventually fell in love with the RCF. Extremely reliable, zero issues. Also came to appreciate the linear power delivery of the naturally aspirated engine. Nothing as satisfying as winding up the engine to the high RPM and feel the power surge.
The following 2 users liked this post by konichiwa3:
CAHWY128 (05-30-19), Dribble (05-30-19)
Old 05-29-19, 10:59 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

IDK.

Prior to my 2015 RCF, we had a his and her MB SLK280 and MB SLK55 AMG. Both were 2006 model. Sold the SLK280 about a year before buying the RCF. Kept both RCF and SLK55 AMG at the same time for about three years. Did not drive the SLK55 AMG much after buying the RCF to the point the new tires on the SLK55 AMG dry rotted!!

Traded in the SLK55 AMG last year.

My wife doesn't like the RCF (especially with the Borla exhaust) nor the stock SLK55 AMG......she says both are just "too loud"!! She prefers our LX570 and the RX450h (smoother I guess).. She doesn't like my commuter CT200h.....she says it has no power!!!
Dribble (05-30-19)
Old 05-30-19, 02:16 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
Was somewhat a downgrade from a modded CL55 AMG supercharged.

The CL55 was a technological behemoth. Great torque and hp, was like a freight train in a straight line. The technology and luxury was stupendous. Every square inch was leather. Highly technologically advanced to the minutest detail. Even the mundane task of opening the front door was in itself a technological marvel, they had this unique way of swinging forward overlapping the front quarter panel then opening out to make easier ingress and egress. A seemingly levitating speedometer needle that swung out in a large arch. Along with every creature comfort you could possibly imagine.

Sound proofing was unbelievable. With the sound proofing and double pane windows once you shut the door its like being in a vault. First thing that passengers would comment is how quiet it was, no noise coming in from the outside.

Was a pain to maintain though. Had to put money aside for the inevitable problems and then whatever remained would go to mods.

I actually purchased the RCF on a whim. One day leaving work the AMG's dreaded power steering pump which also runs all the suspension hydraulics started acting up and right there and then I decided I wasn't going to sink any more money into it. Googled nearest car dealership, saw Lexus. Drove up there, let the salesperson know all I wanted was 2 door coupe and hours later left with the RCF. Knew absolutely nothing about the car, my only consolation was knowing that I had unloaded a maintenance nightmare and could look forward to long term Japanese reliability.

In short order I eventually fell in love with the RCF. Extremely reliable, zero issues. Also came to appreciate the linear power delivery of the naturally aspirated engine. Nothing as satisfying as winding up the engine to the high RPM and feel the power surge.

I dream of working very hard as a business man and just wallowing into a luxury car dealership and just waling away non Chantilly w/ a $100k plus coupe. It looks like you did that & I want you to know I am well on my way, If I could now it would be towards a $100k 2.9L RS5 2 door. Best car on the market IMO hands down. what do you think?

Quick Reply: Upgraded or Downgraded