RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Ultimate Steering Response Bushings Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-19, 04:48 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Ultimate Steering Response Bushings Installed

While I was over at RRRacing getting my exhaust installed, I got to looking at an item I have been considering for some time and that is the "Ultimate Steering Response System". A bold claim in the name of the product, yes I know. However, I had watched the video of the stock bushing moving around under load and went back and read the comments of the ISF guys who had them installed. I knew that there was something about mid-corner feel and braking that always felt odd on this car. I thought that I may have to do full suspension to cure it, but could never reconcile the fact that the springs never really felt super soft, to begin with. I read the explanation about the dynamic toe of the stock set up and the uneven tire wear. So, for the relative cost of the item, I thought it could be a step toward curing my initial complaint.

BEFORE - the car would set as I cornered and as forces got higher if I hit a bump mid-corner or made steering adjustments, I could feel a "wiggle" in the car. Like it was moving in a soft layer of rubber that I had to go through and unnervingly like the car's weight might shift. I also remarked that the wheel felt like video game steering. Very isolated.

AFTER - (performance) the wheel and the car feel more connected. I'm not feeling the wiggle in the middle of an aggressive turn. I have not had a chance to test out the mid-corner bump but I know where one is on an I-476 onramp. Braking is straight and more direct as advertised in my impression. I'm honestly a bit surprised that two bushings made this much of a difference, I should have done this sooner.
(luxury) full disclosure, I can now see what the stock bushings were doing. That thick, soft rubber was there to isolate you from the vibrations and sensations that this, and many cars, exhibit. You will feel a little more of the tires and the road through the wheel. That's what I wanted, you may not. Sometimes when decelerating at a very specific rev range I can feel the engine slightly through the wheel and that was not there before. If you want the car tilted a bit more toward performance, this is a go. If your ultimate goal is luxury, maybe not. I find it to be a positive change for me.

New one going in, red material is harder.

Stock, the black rubber is quite soft.

The following 3 users liked this post by Apone:
05RollaXRS (05-18-19), BossMoss (05-21-19), konichiwa3 (05-18-19)
Old 05-18-19, 04:56 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Great purchase. This is on the top of my list of next mods. People who crave more feel and more stiffer response need to do this especially it is quite inexpensive mod. I feel the stock suspension is firm enough, but the lower control arms do wonders to increase the steering response.

I saw the ISF video of how the stock LCA flex when they hit a bump and how the RR LCA stay solid and I was sold. My other daily driving has polyurethane motor mounts and I am used to vibrations while RCF is almost too refined in everything it does so some vibration through the steering would be a welcome change.

Did you get alignment as you should after installing the LCA? Do update this thread once you have broken them in and have driven them extensively.
Old 05-18-19, 10:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Plastic toys. Better than the rubber fluid filled Dunkin' Donut, but still not what the doctor really ordered. NVH be damned, when you stand on the brakes at corner entry, these puppies will not let the tail wag under any circumstances:

Old 05-19-19, 06:02 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Plastic toys. Better than the rubber fluid filled Dunkin' Donut, but still not what the doctor really ordered. NVH be damned, when you stand on the brakes at corner entry, these puppies will not let the tail wag under any circumstances:
Ha! Who makes those?
Old 05-19-19, 06:36 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Great purchase. This is on the top of my list of next mods. People who crave more feel and more stiffer response need to do this especially it is quite inexpensive mod. I feel the stock suspension is firm enough, but the lower control arms do wonders to increase the steering response.

I saw the ISF video of how the stock LCA flex when they hit a bump and how the RR LCA stay solid and I was sold. My other daily driving has polyurethane motor mounts and I am used to vibrations while RCF is almost too refined in everything it does so some vibration through the steering would be a welcome change.

Did you get alignment as you should after installing the LCA? Do update this thread once you have broken them in and have driven them extensively.
I did not get an alignment that day, but I'm probably due for one anyway.
Old 05-19-19, 09:22 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Personally can say those Figs solid bearings are way better than the RR ones as far as not deflecting and allowing toe angle change under extreme braking.
My track tire wear has improved a good bit since changing to the solid ones.
But guessing if one is not tracking the car, the RR ones are right on for street use.

Last edited by Mingofish; 05-19-19 at 09:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (05-21-19)
Old 05-19-19, 12:40 PM
Apone
Pole Position

I thought those might be figs given the color. Glad they are working out.