370z tempting to buy 2015 rcf

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 04:21 PM
Johnpang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 370z tempting to buy 2015 rcf

Hi rcf owners! I need advice if you can tell if this has a performance package

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Lexus-RC-F-Las-Vegas-d2297_L21230#listing=229019787_isFeatured

I cant wait to buy an rcf, i have a 2012 370z with 33k miles on it. I love the Z and it so much fun to drive it like a go kart. Should i trade in my z instead? Though the value of my Z is super low.

whats the best color of rcf you like so far? I have a black z so black is no longer an option for me. I like the rcf link above due to the fact that it is white with red interior and orange calipers on it. Im not sure if the top is carbonfiber.
Old 02-16-19, 05:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Welcome. There are quite a few 370Z owners that upgraded to RCFs on here and have been very happy with it. Maybe, some would chime in.

I own a Molten Pearl so naturally I love this one the best especially with the carbon fiber (and the compliments on the color are off the charts). It really has to be seen in real life to be truly appreciated. I have had it for 1.5 years and could not be more happy with it.

Old 02-16-19, 09:06 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I came from the g37s/370z platform. The lexus will feel larger and higher off the ground. The G drove smaller than it was. The rcf is much more powerful but the auto will sometimes make you work for it a bit. Open road I think the RCF would leave it behind, tight corners and the nissan would build a great deal of confidence. The lexus is much quieter inside than a nissan infiniti product. Be sure to test drive of course - these are my opinions.

Regarding your link. that car appears to have the carbon roof and spoiler (look close in real life, should be actual carbon fiber not black or vynyl sticker material. I'm calling this out because I see no button for the TVD by the shifter. This would denote the performance pack. Apparently, there may have been a few carbon roof cars with no tvd but that's not how you usually see them. I don't think I see the mark levinson sound system but that may not matter to you. Also those wheels have been painted black if they are the original lexus wheels.
Old 02-16-19, 09:30 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, the car in the picture is not a TVD/carbon fiber package. If you are a handling junkie, the TVD is a must. It really makes the car shrink especially in 'slalom' mode by rear end rotation through torque vectoring motors.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-16-19 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 08:01 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

This one does not have the performance package. Performance pack has TVD and would not have a sunroof. The roof and wing are wrapped. The wheels are aftermarket, pics are too poor to tell what they are. It does have the Mark Levison stereo. Not a bad price for the miles and options. Definitely worth a test drive.

I had a 370Z for 4 years prior to moving to the RC F. Big difference in the cars. I agree with the comparison above by Apone. I went for the RC F because I wanted more comfort and luxury and the V8. Even with the extra power and technology, I still feel like I could push the Z harder. I just felt more connected to the road with in the Z. But I had coilovers, upgraded sway bars, end links, camber arms.... on the Z. And it was a noisy uncomfortable ride. I much prefer the Lexus. Not saying the Z is faster, it is just a different feel. The F is definitely quicker. My Z was automatic and I hated the transmission. In manual mode it was decent, but auto just wanted to get to top gear asap. The RCF in sport + is really good at hanging onto the gears and giving you what you want. In the end, I 100% do not regret trading up to the Lexus.

Old 02-17-19, 12:49 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoSlow
, I still feel like I could push the Z harder. I just felt more connected to the road with in the Z.
that's exactly it. Mine was a 6spd. I felt like I could push it much harder. Maybe some of that is the old line about driving a "slow" car fast being more fun than driving a fast car slow. The RCF has a lot fewer opportunities to go full throttle because it is so fast. Again not saying at all that the Zs are slow, they are just about right for the street. I don't miss the noisy highway interior or the nasty vibration that developed toward the end. I bet some of that wheel vibration was what gave it that direct connected steering feel. The RCF is more like a video game wheel. It does what I ask but I can't feel it moving under me in the same way. Very different cars with very different missions.
Old 02-17-19, 04:36 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

I came from a G37x and while I miss the partime awd the RCF with TVD and traction control allows me to maneuver this rwd very well and not be like a Mustang driver.
i absolutely love the V8 ipgrade. Slap on a Borla or another aftermarket cat back and open her sound and make all of your nissan buddies admire your sound and power.
its a no brainer. Get rhe RCF

keep the 370z if you want or sell it outright since trade in value is low. Plenty of beginner sports car byers out there looking for a good Z
Old 02-18-19, 06:52 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

G37 owner here. I have Tein Flex Z, and handles the body roll on the G. TVD is a must for me since I need a good handling car for the spirited driving.

As for your original question, I have debated for about a year. I have already made the decision to go with the RC F over the M4 and STi. My first car was a 1996 Lexus ES300 in 09. After having that, an 2005 TL, and the G37. Quality remains with Lexus, and the Infiniti in dead last. They are good cars, but not Lexus good.

I love the styling, technology of TVD, and Lexus reliability. Adding performance to this lineage of respectable cars is a must for me.
Old 02-19-19, 11:41 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a G37S, but it has the AT, rather than the 6MT. Nevertheless, that car really is responsive and feels connected to the road more so than my RC F. Weight is part of it and maybe the suspension setup on the G, more camber angle. The G went through tires faster than the F. Overall I feel much more confident taking corners at speed in the G. I've had the RC F go sideways on me a few times in situations where I judge that the G37 could hold traction. That being said, I am much less likely to turn off trac control on the RC F although that was my standard move in the G37. But in a straight drag race the RC F rules for sure (against the G).
Old 02-19-19, 05:21 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

A lot of that has to do with the additional 140 HP on tap especially if you are cornering at high rpms. Trying to power out of a corner is going to get the tail kick easily especially if your TVD is set in 'track' mode where it always wants to oversteer. You can always get stickier tires to get the rear end to stick during mid-corner. That is why you have to feed in the power gingerly using the throttle to control the rear and then go full throttle on the way out.

Originally Posted by Fysisist
I have a G37S, but it has the AT, rather than the 6MT. Nevertheless, that car really is responsive and feels connected to the road more so than my RC F. Weight is part of it and maybe the suspension setup on the G, more camber angle. The G went through tires faster than the F. Overall I feel much more confident taking corners at speed in the G. I've had the RC F go sideways on me a few times in situations where I judge that the G37 could hold traction. That being said, I am much less likely to turn off trac control on the RC F although that was my standard move in the G37. But in a straight drag race the RC F rules for sure (against the G).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-19-19 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 07:17 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
A lot of that has to do with the additional 140 HP on tap especially if you are cornering at high rpms. Trying to power out of a corner is going to get the tail kick easily especially if your TVD is set in 'track' mode where it always wants to oversteer. You can always get stickier tires to get the rear end to stick during mid-corner. That is why you have to feed in the power gingerly using the throttle to control the rear and then go full throttle on the way out.
Not sure I 100% agree there. I sense a fundamental difference in balance through corners. I've put the rcf deep into corners that the G37s definitely could have gotten out of (with little to no drama) and found myself just happy to make it out the other side. If you pick up the speed early and then just worry about steering out of the corner, the difference becomes apparent. In that moment the power has nothing to do with it. I think the G is lower, lighter with a better center of gravity - the RCF has a shorter wheel base on paper but feels less willing to rotate NOT UNDER POWER than the G. The G had its engine pushed more toward the center of the car vs the rcf which carries it in the nose. Again just very different cars imho. You are right Rolla that the TVD makes it drive smaller but that balance is only there when you are on the go pedal. This is counter to my style but I've learned to embrace it to get the most out of this car.
Old 02-19-19, 08:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Have either of you been on track? Wait, I know for sure one of you has not. So, please describe how you explore the limits of performance on a public road. I've not had that experience yet.
Old 02-19-19, 08:28 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, RCF is not an off-throttle steer or brake/steer car through the turn especially with TVD. Approaching a turn, downshift to get to the best turning speed (best turning rate in degrees x how fast you are entering combo) then simply get the foot on throttle as soon as you enter the turn to shift the balance to the rear. Then, use the throttle consistently steer to modulate through the turn. The TVD would do its magic as long as the driver is on the throttle. Going through the turn, depending on the surface traction and how much throttle input I am putting in (usually around 5500 - 6000 rpm), the car would either rotate hard through the turn to gentle step out while rotating hard. Then go full throttle on the way out of the turn.

p.s. Max I have pulled on the G-meter is 1.1G instantaneous (not avg) through the turn.

Originally Posted by Apone
Not sure I 100% agree there. I sense a fundamental difference in balance through corners. I've put the rcf deep into corners that the G37s definitely could have gotten out of (with little to no drama) and found myself just happy to make it out the other side. If you pick up the speed early and then just worry about steering out of the corner, the difference becomes apparent. In that moment the power has nothing to do with it. I think the G is lower, lighter with a better center of gravity - the RCF has a shorter wheel base on paper but feels less willing to rotate NOT UNDER POWER than the G. The G had its engine pushed more toward the center of the car vs the rcf which carries it in the nose. Again just very different cars imho. You are right Rolla that the TVD makes it drive smaller but that balance is only there when you are on the go pedal. This is counter to my style but I've learned to embrace it to get the most out of this car.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-19-19 at 08:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (02-20-19)
Old 02-19-19, 10:13 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
Simple answer to your woes is to invest in some RR penske double adjustable colilovers and you will be in nirvana. RCF on this setup will blow your mind.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (02-20-19)
Old 02-19-19, 10:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
Simple answer to your woes is to invest in some RR penske double adjustable colilovers and you will be in nirvana. RCF on this setup will blow your mind.
Maybe. From experience, I think investing in the driver is most important. Track time will teach you more than anything you could ever do on a public road. Having extensive experience with both, the first thing you learn on the track is how utterly slow you were driving on the street.

Quick Reply: 370z tempting to buy 2015 rcf