RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Do You Think the 2020 RC F is the Proper Supra the World Deserves?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 08:02 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Do You Think the 2020 RC F is the Proper Supra the World Deserves?

Do You Think the 2020 RC F is the Proper Supra the World Deserves?
By Matt Overstreet

Toyota has already been making a proper new Supra, they just called it the RC F.

The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 12:56 PM
nomadlife
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think supra's drive a certain way. Hard to explain, but the RC-F just doesn't have anywhere near the same handling characteristics (probably largely due to weight IMHO).

Also, I loved the MKIV supra when I was a kid. However... it is a "boy racer" car which is an image lexus really shouldn't be playing with.

Last edited by nomadlife; 02-11-19 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 12:59 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

I think in a way the RCF was like a new Supra. I can agree. The RCF marketing was terrible. People still don't know what an RCF is. I have people ask all the time what am I driving, including a guy who chased me down in a truck to find out what the car was. Thought I was going to get car jacked..lol.

The new Supra seems to be getting a lot of positive press. Much better marketing. Reminding people Toyota can build exciting cars. I can't wait to go check one out when they hit the market.

I certainly think the new Supra may help the RCF sell, if people get interested in Toyota sports cars again.

The new RCF Track Edition may get better press and help also.
Old 02-11-19, 01:30 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the RCF is the RCF. It isn't the Supra, but it's an interesting sport version of the Toyota group and an interesting own thing. Maybe, just maybe, will Lexus have the price niche and the fame to bring back a closer Supra FT1 version. Maybe under the name SC.
Old 02-11-19, 01:32 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by nomadlife
I think supra's drive a certain way. Hard to explain, but the RC-F just doesn't have anywhere near the same handling characteristics (probably largely due to weight IMHO).

Also, I loved the MKIV supra when I was a kid. However... it is a "boy racer" car which is an image lexus really shouldn't be playing with.
Stock Supras were never famous for their handling even in that era. Suspension was on the softer side with understeer due to the iron block engine, was a well known issue. They were known/famous mostly for their ability for the 2JZ block to put big horsepower down largely due to the iron block engine being able to put down big HP numbers and also highway roll racing.

From 30 years ago, suspension, tires and chassis engineering has moved on even if the cars have become heavier. One can argue, older lighter cars have a mechanical feel, newer/heavier cars cannot replicate, but when it comes to putting down the laps, it is not a fair comparison being almost 30 years apart.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-11-19 at 01:41 PM.
Deanrcf (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 01:59 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

konichiwa3 (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 10:05 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

I've owned and driven a lot of cars over the years. My absolute favorite car that I've owned was my 1997 6-speed Supra TT. Still wish that I had hung onto it. The RC-F is a close second though. I have always felt that the RC-F was the closest thing to the MkV Supra - and it may still be, even with the MkV Supra a reality. While I do like the looks of the new Supra, I don't think the performance numbers could ever make me part with my RC-F. A manual transmission might do the trick though!

Jim
Old 02-11-19, 10:18 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

LOL. Same here.

The other day I was driving in the New Orleans area going Costco and was wondering why this older looking (but nicely modded with a mean V8 engine and custom exhaust) was tailing me on the interstate and followed me all the way to Costco. I did 4 right hand turns around the block and he was still on my tail to the Costco parking lot. After I got out, he started asking what car is my car and all. Of course the Borla exhaust made it all better. He could NOT believe it was a Lexus!!! He said he thought it was some Aston Martin of sorts. LOL

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
I think in a way the RCF was like a new Supra. I can agree. The RCF marketing was terrible. People still don't know what an RCF is. I have people ask all the time what am I driving, including a guy who chased me down in a truck to find out what the car was. Thought I was going to get car jacked..lol.

The new Supra seems to be getting a lot of positive press. Much better marketing. Reminding people Toyota can build exciting cars. I can't wait to go check one out when they hit the market.

I certainly think the new Supra may help the RCF sell, if people get interested in Toyota sports cars again.

The new RCF Track Edition may get better press and help also.
Old 02-12-19, 06:07 AM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The new Supra is a BMW. I completely agree the RCF is the real new Supra. Just with a Lexus badge on it
Old 02-12-19, 07:11 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

When a couple of us RCF owners test drive the new Supra, then we will find out how it compares. I plan to try out a new Supra once one arrives at my local Toyota dealership.
Old 02-12-19, 12:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Stock Supras were never famous for their handling even in that era. Suspension was on the softer side with understeer due to the iron block engine, was a well known issue. They were known/famous mostly for their ability for the 2JZ block to put big horsepower down largely due to the iron block engine being able to put down big HP numbers and also highway roll racing.

From 30 years ago, suspension, tires and chassis engineering has moved on even if the cars have become heavier. One can argue, older lighter cars have a mechanical feel, newer/heavier cars cannot replicate, but when it comes to putting down the laps, it is not a fair comparison being almost 30 years apart.
Actually they were well known for their handling, and set the mark in the magazines for quite a few years with a 0.98g skidpad number for the red '93 hardtop on Michelin MXX3s the magazines all tested. C&D did an article asking if the Supra was an exotic and had Phil Hill drive the car at Firebird against a Ferrari and a Porsche, and it did quite well. Soft? You obviously never owned one with stock suspension. They were very loud inside, and very stiff for a street car. Much stiffer than the '08 IS F or the '16 GS F sitting in my garage. Suspension and chassis engineering haven't changed dramatically in 30 years. Tires have. More than anything. At least my '93 TT hardtop 6 speed weighs in at an almost respectable 3415 pounds on a certified scale, but it was also almost 300 pounds heavier than the C5 Corvette Chevrolet built using the MkIV Supra as its benchmark.

https://i2.wp.com/mkiv.com/publicati...3/rt893_01.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/mkiv.com/publicati...3/rt893_02.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/mkiv.com/publicati...3/rt893_03.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/mkiv.com/publicati...3/rt893_04.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/mkiv.com/publicati...3/rt893_05.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/mkiv.com/publicati...3/rt893_06.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/mkiv.com/publicati...3/rt893_07.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/mkiv.com/publicati...3/rt893_08.jpg

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-12-19 at 12:55 PM.
Apone (02-17-19)
Old 02-12-19, 01:10 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
and very stiff for a street car. Much stiffer than the '08 IS F
That means it was teeth shattering stiff....yikes...
Old 02-12-19, 01:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
That means it was teeth shattering stiff....yikes...
Only on crap roads. On decent pavement it was always fun to paint the passenger's face against the side window.
Old 02-12-19, 01:51 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Should Toyota have done another GT coupe instead of the BMW partnership, yes they should have. But as consumers we have no idea on the reasons they went with that option other than to keep costs down is what it looks like. Let's say they did use the TTV6 in a larger version of the MKV with 2+2 and 500bhp for $90K where would that leave the RCF? My speculation is that Toyota didn't really want to invest in a high end sports car with Lexus already having the LC and RCF and this MKV is what they came up with. No way they were going to develop an all new I6 Turbo without plans to share it in other models.
Old 02-12-19, 02:07 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

I think using a BMW for the Supra was very shrewd. The automotive press seems to fall all over themselves praising every BMW made. So it would follow these same biased journalists will love the Supra.

Quick Reply: Do You Think the 2020 RC F is the Proper Supra the World Deserves?