Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 03:44 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RC sales at an all time low.

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/brin...ear-zero-sales

Lexus RC Sales
The Lexus RC is much more of a mainstream vehicle for Lexus. It is intended to go head to head with the BMW 4 Series. For a while it did. However, for November the RC found just 239 buyers. That is down from 826 one year ago. Among the Lexus cars, the RC is now the weakest performer with sales only half of last year's number.

The RC didn't find much love among the BMW-centric automotive enthusiast press. It was labeled as "overweight" early on, despite being lighter than Audi's segment model and almost identical in weight to the Mercedes in the group. Since its introduction, Lexus has been adding weaker engines and all-wheel drive to both push down the price point of entry and to expand the marketability of the RC, all to no avail.

Those shopping for a new Lexus car may want to shop around and look for a dealer willing to heavily discount an RC or LC. With sales dropping to such amazing lows, it is likely there are dealers willing to make a deal.

As parent Toyota begins to focus on reducing its car model offerings and is concurrently introducing a new generation of the Supra Sports coupe (branded a Toyota), it is easy to see the writing on the wall for the Lexus coupes.

Old 12-03-18, 05:39 PM
lexicanto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Good read.
Old 12-03-18, 05:59 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

I read somewhere recently that all coupe sales were down across all the manufacturers as SUV and crossovers trend up.
Old 12-03-18, 07:42 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

It's a buyers market
Old 12-03-18, 10:17 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350

Lexus RC Sales
The Lexus RC is much more of a mainstream vehicle for Lexus. It is intended to go head to head with the BMW 4 Series. For a while it did. However, for November the RC found just 239 buyers. That is down from 826 one year ago. Among the Lexus cars, the RC is now the weakest performer with sales only half of last year's number.

The RC didn't find much love among the BMW-centric automotive enthusiast press. It was labeled as "overweight" early on, despite being lighter than Audi's segment model and almost identical in weight to the Mercedes in the group. Since its introduction, Lexus has been adding weaker engines and all-wheel drive to both push down the price point of entry and to expand the marketability of the RC, all to no avail.

Those shopping for a new Lexus car may want to shop around and look for a dealer willing to heavily discount an RC or LC. With sales dropping to such amazing lows, it is likely there are dealers willing to make a deal.

As parent Toyota begins to focus on reducing its car model offerings and is concurrently introducing a new generation of the Supra Sports coupe (branded a Toyota), it is easy to see the writing on the wall for the Lexus coupes.

In Australia, there are still 2017 new ‘demo’ models for sale at 2/3 the price of a new 2018.
The result is they now have 2 model years of New RC’s sitting on lots.
Unsurprsingly, they haven’t been advertising the facelift on the Australian website, let alone any appearing at dealerships.
Old 12-04-18, 07:35 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Hmm. This is certainly not good news for those seeking to sell. Think I'll keep mine awhile longer. Found this article on the same link you sent us. Could this possibly be a Member here? (Im sure its been posted already) As one who came minutes from buying a Shelby GT350 instead, I loved this line at the bottom of article:

DD - I've been a mechanic for years, I've worked on a lot of different manufacturers. That hands-on experience has taught me a lot of things and one of those is, hands down Toyota makes a great car. I grew up wanting a Mustang. Well the Lexus RCF is the best Mustang money can buy!

Model of A Dream Car
The following users liked this post:
LRCSALES (12-10-18)
Old 12-04-18, 07:48 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

even though I sold my RCF for reasons related to my disability, I am kind of glad I jumped ship when I did. it's too bad, I really did love the car.
Old 12-04-18, 09:42 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Totally normal for a car that is in its 5 model year. Lexus sales history is a good indicator of them falling drastically in the 5th year or so. IS took big hits in the last 2 years and RC being a coupe, has a smaller niche market. The RC refresh might help a bit, but doubt it would spike up the sales of RC much.

Having said that, for selfish reason, I want RCF to discontinue already. However, I am still happy about the last hurrah with the upcoming track-focused RCF GT and the updated standard RCF.
The following users liked this post:
LRCSALES (12-10-18)
Old 12-04-18, 09:43 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

WHAT?? After everything you did, and wrote novels about?? Sorry to hear about losing it, but understand the reason. Im 100% Service Connected myself. I need this Car/Hobby or I'm a danger within my own head. I've already searched high & low and don't see any true disparaged pricing of the RCF across the Country. Fake news....
Old 12-04-18, 01:04 PM
2UR
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Having said that, for selfish reason, I want RCF to discontinue already.
I’m with you and agree, I wouldn’t be to sad if they discontinued production of the F. Lesser the production number the better for current owners and us long term owners, in the future these cars will hold their value, I have no doubt. To be fair though the climate is changing across the board for rwd sports coupes in general.
Old 12-04-18, 01:13 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350

Lexus RC Sales

I hope lexus discontinues the RC line completely. That would raise our cars value.
Old 12-04-18, 01:52 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by yooniverse
I hope lexus discontinues the RC line completely. That would raise our cars value.
Yeah I'm ok with this. Car is rare enough on it's own, people will also stop comparing it to an M4 in a couple of years.

When you're shopping for an 80,000 mile bmw or lexus and they're not the new models in the showroom, people forget quick about track times and 0-60s and think more and more of ownership experience.

And how loud the car is. The IS-F is doing just fine and I'd buy that over a handful of cars right now.
Old 12-04-18, 03:19 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Well Said !!

Now that is a statement I'm proudly aligned with Kerune! I can honestly say I've rarely seen the RC-F on the road. Whenever I come across every other sportscar in this class I always get a thumbs up from them. I give credit where due, and I'm very proud to drive such a classy car (with Mods) such as this. 😎
Old 12-04-18, 03:21 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Now that is a statement I'm proudly aligned with Kerune! I can honestly say I've rarely seen the RC-F on the road. Whenever I come across every other sportscar in this class I always get a thumbs up from them. I give credit where due, and I'm very proud to drive such a classy car (with Mods) such as this. 😎
I hear that a lot, and I get looks in the gas station or parking lots. I always wondered if the NGP is not as much of a head turner or if my tint is just too dark to see outside and notice but I can't say I get a ton of looks on the road lol.
Old 12-04-18, 07:18 PM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't say that i'm surprised by this in a market that is being dominated by trucks and SUV's. Coupes in multiple segments are struggling as well as smaller sedans. But...

I didn't buy my RCF because i was worried about the market or where the car would stand in a few years. I bought the RCF because i wanted the reliability and quality of a Lexus, but the roar of a V8 under me in a 2 door car. All cars take a hit eventually and not all cars are going to be coveted like an MKIV for example, but that shouldn't stop you from driving what you want. It would be nice if that happened, but too rare to bet on. Also i don't feel like i'm waiting around for the maintenance what ifs associated with other brands in the segment.

Do i think Lexus will scrap the RCF after 6 or 7 model years? It's very possible if the car no longer sells and it's not profitable for them. It's a business. Look how many ISF's were sold in 2014 and you can see it was an easy decision for them. But if that happens it only makes my car even more rare, which is fine by me.

At Dallas cars and coffee the other day i was the only RCF in a sea of mustangs, challengers, vettes and R35's. You can look at that both ways, but i'm going to take the high road and enjoy the rarity and uniqueness of my car.

Quick Reply: RC sales at an all time low.