RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

DIY Ram Air mod for less that $40

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 07:42 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default DIY Ram Air mod for less that $40

ill add to this discussion. after examining how pathetic provisions Lexus made to get cold fresh air in the engine I made this ram air duct from LOWES its a 4 inch water drain elbow 8$. I added an 4in air velocity stack for $16.99 from amazon. this requires utilizing the front horn location and relocating that to the driver side. I also added a window screen to the front and the rear of the rain elbow (ram air tube) Of course i have no data i have full bolt ons not emissions in the intake track and Nitrous i know that air is getting it through the duct because heavy rains the topside screen has water drops on in. and luckily the stock ram duct stayed dry.

top pic is how it looks finished very last pic is pictured without screen mesh or the Velocity stack

The following users liked this post:
DebianDog (11-24-18)
Old 11-20-18, 08:48 AM
tuscani66
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice, simple and clean, well done.

I made something like this from my 2004 Volvo S60R using the factory fog light location, molded myself and created a funnel track and connected to the underside of my intake housing, I've thought of doing the same thing to the RCF.
LRCSALES (11-20-18)
Old 11-20-18, 09:36 AM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

This looks like an interesting mod. I'd definitely be interested in doing it down the line. Keep us updated and let us know how you like it!
LRCSALES (11-20-18)
Old 11-20-18, 11:52 AM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

That actually looks like a cool mod. Very clever.
LRCSALES (11-20-18)
Old 11-20-18, 01:20 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

thanks guys sorry i have no data other than water droplets hitting the screen lets me know the air works
Old 11-20-18, 03:23 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
thanks guys sorry i have no data other than water droplets hitting the screen lets me know the air works
Not possible for any water to get to the intake opening correct? If not, I'll definitely try this one of my free weekends and report back!
GunnyFitz (11-28-18)
Old 11-22-18, 02:46 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

You all might also be interested in the rr racing .com heat shield.
reduces the aux intake air temp by 25degrees.

LRCSALES (11-23-18)
Old 11-23-18, 08:41 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

might do that but ill make my own. Already had a friend make one for about 20$
Old 11-23-18, 08:45 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lammyyy
Not possible for any water to get to the intake opening correct? If not, I'll definitely try this one of my free weekends and report back!
i have driven it in rains and checked it with the double screens only some water splash on top of the radiator tray. I did drive in a monsoon but i drove city streets so wasnt a problem either i imagine at high speeds and if it rained so hard that you have to slow to see, might be a problem then but it still has to go through both screens the down that factory snorkel then pool up in the airbox and then pass the filter then up the intake tube. So lots a things would have to happen together for water ingestion.
Lammyyy (11-23-18)
Old 11-23-18, 08:48 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

also i would remove your tkeda intake. My friend was the test car for that and they actually lost power over a oem tube and K an N filter
Lammyyy (11-23-18)
Old 11-23-18, 12:13 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

LRC..where did you get/find the blue engine brace brackets and blue air filter clips...very noice touch. Any idea where you found those blue items?
airlaird
Old 11-23-18, 01:26 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GetKinetic
You all might also be interested in the rr racing .com heat shield.
reduces the aux intake air temp by 25degrees.
The heat shield keeps the secondary intake and just covers the top to prevent hot air from reaching it correct? Just want to make sure we don't lose that and ASC with it. I may purchase it next year along with the RR-Racing tube and the AOS.

i have driven it in rains and checked it with the double screens only some water splash on top of the radiator tray. I did drive in a monsoon but i drove city streets so wasnt a problem either i imagine at high speeds and if it rained so hard that you have to slow to see, might be a problem then but it still has to go through both screens the down that factory snorkel then pool up in the airbox and then pass the filter then up the intake tube. So lots a things would have to happen together for water ingestion.
I think what I'll do is I'll try to heat up/bend the tube a bit and angle it a little downward so it's harder for water to come up. You purchased the Artudatech air velocity stacks from Amazon correct? It looks like the tube is only mounted using that bolt?

Thanks again for the insight LRC!
Old 11-23-18, 02:51 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lammyyy
The heat shield keeps the secondary intake and just covers the top to prevent hot air from reaching it correct? Just want to make sure we don't lose that and ASC with it. I may purchase it next year along with the RR-Racing tube and the AOS.

I think what I'll do is I'll try to heat up/bend the tube a bit and angle it a little downward so it's harder for water to come up. You purchased the Artudatech air velocity stacks from Amazon correct? It looks like the tube is only mounted using that bolt?

Thanks again for the insight LRC!
yes! was just a generic 4 in velocity stack was red in color. also that intake tube i bought from INTAKE HOSES .com for $50 CF90-350X6 my instagram is RCF_700 if you would like any help!
Old 11-23-18, 02:53 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by airlaird
LRC..where did you get/find the blue engine brace brackets and blue air filter clips...very noice touch. Any idea where you found those blue items?
airlaird

simply had the factory stuff powder coated. They actually discovered a better match for a color clips can be easily removed with out damaging any thing
Old 11-23-18, 03:02 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

yes! was just a generic 4 in velocity stack was red in color. also that intake tube i bought from INTAKE HOSES .com for $50 CF90-350X6 my instagram is RCF_700 if you would like any help!

Quick Reply: DIY Ram Air mod for less that $40