Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

SMH. Theres always gotta be a negative nancy
Old 12-19-18, 09:08 AM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sirdimarco
SMH. Theres always gotta be a negative nancy
There have been a lot of grumpy people on the F forums lately... Don't know if its the car, the weather or the holidays. Maybe all of the above!
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (12-20-18)
Old 12-19-18, 09:31 AM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hwcustoms
There have been a lot of grumpy people on the F forums lately... Don't know if its the car, the weather or the holidays. Maybe all of the above!
It's some of the forum membership, they can be found in many of subforums
Old 12-19-18, 01:03 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GetKinetic
thermal tests prove otherwise. Look at the the data they post with it on the website. Significantly cooler air temps being pulled in. And why are you bashing this guys cutting abilities?
smh
Not to be negative... but do you really believe the numbers as they are presented on the RR website? Looks a little off...
Engine RPMs between the stock chart, and heat shield chart, (as seen of the left hand side of the RR website), appear to be way different.
Do your really believe that at highway speeds,(or maybe less), there will be a difference of 20 degrees, (or more), because the air is coming from the fender instead of through the front grill? Where is all this heat coming from if this RR test was done with the car moving down the road at 40mph (3800rpm). Would believe a large inlet temp increase, if these comparisons were done in a garage without the car moving.
Simple math? 11 % more horsepower, so increase of 2.1% 467hp x 2.1% = 9.8 more horsepower. And how often are you running your car at 467 peak horsepower?

Anyway, looks like a nice part, might have to buy it myself, even if it does not generate the claimed numbers!
Old 12-19-18, 01:27 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

I dont know of the car was moving or not in thier temp tests but its obvious that
Your car isnt at highway speed in 1st or second gear when your mashing the pedal and that aux flap is sucking in hot engine air until the air from the grill.begins to circulate.
also if you didnt remove the plastic cover from under your hood vent them youre sucking hot air longer than someone like me who did open that vent up as designed.

Last edited by GetKinetic; 12-19-18 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 03:04 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Really not trying to he negative. Just find it amusing how people are quick to jump on band wagons. RR is selling a product claiming gains (actually claiming 11 hp gains) with no real proof and people bash others when actual dyno are provided of other products claiming that dyno graphs are manipulated. RR should he selling this as a cosmetic item with "potential theoretical gains"!
On fitment......sorry no excuses! quick to hit the market no quality control. As minor as it may be to some, a cosmetic item shouldn't have to trimmed to make it work.
Old 12-19-18, 04:28 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 1herm4
Really not trying to he negative. Just find it amusing how people are quick to jump on band wagons. RR is selling a product claiming gains (actually claiming 11 hp gains) with no real proof and people bash others when actual dyno are provided of other products claiming that dyno graphs are manipulated. RR should he selling this as a cosmetic item with "potential theoretical gains"!
On fitment......sorry no excuses! quick to hit the market no quality control. As minor as it may be to some, a cosmetic item shouldn't have to trimmed to make it work.

I never bashed you, but you bashed my cutting. Which is was pretty good for me as I barely passed art class in high school....LOL!

Second. It will fit fine with out cutting. You can install it with no cutting. I will repeat one more time, you do not need to make the cut and the heat shield will fit just fine. But it defeats the purpose.

You cut the trim to scavenge more cold air from the fender.

Quick to hit the market? 4 model years after the car the car was released? That is laughable. Should have R&R waited 20 years? Would that make you happy?

Lastly. I am in no way related to R&R racing and this is the first item I have ever bought from them. I just think it is great product that is well built, great looking and may increase horse power, but certainly won't hurt it.

So what cold air intake set up do you run on your RCF? Or is your RCF stock? I am very interested in how your car is set up in terms of Cold Air Intake.
BossMoss (01-11-19)
Old 12-19-18, 05:53 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

My apology on your cutting,didn't mean to offend you.

My comment on quick to market....typical production would include a fitment test before final product offering. I feel when a product is quick to be brought to market sometimes this final production step might get missed or skipped. Which a disclaimer would be nice indicating any modifications needed making it not a "direct bolt on". Not sure if RR has done that.

As for my intake solution....

Old 12-20-18, 03:45 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The 11hp gains are from comparing stock airbox without VS with heat shield while hood is closed. No one really drives a car without a hood or an opened hood. But people dyno their cars while it’s open and skew the results vs real world situations when the hood is closed. So, the heat shield should help block the heat from the engine bay being sucked into the airbox during 3800rpm.

The original idea came from Gruppe M, Blitz and Password JDM custom airboxes as they all came out first before rrracing heatshield.
Old 12-20-18, 04:31 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,413 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
Not to be negative... but do you really believe the numbers as they are presented on the RR website? Looks a little off...
Engine RPMs between the stock chart, and heat shield chart, (as seen of the left hand side of the RR website), appear to be way different.
Do your really believe that at highway speeds,(or maybe less), there will be a difference of 20 degrees, (or more), because the air is coming from the fender instead of through the front grill? Where is all this heat coming from if this RR test was done with the car moving down the road at 40mph (3800rpm). Would believe a large inlet temp increase, if these comparisons were done in a garage without the car moving.
Simple math? 11 % more horsepower, so increase of 2.1% 467hp x 2.1% = 9.8 more horsepower. And how often are you running your car at 467 peak horsepower?

Anyway, looks like a nice part, might have to buy it myself, even if it does not generate the claimed numbers!

The charts showing intake air temperature are datalogs from Toyota Techstream, with the owner of the car, Josh Barr in the car during both before and after runs. Both runs were taken as we accelerated on the same on ramp to the same highway, in the same day, with the same speeds.

The only real difference between the “before” and “after” charts is that in the “before” chart we took it to 6450 rpm, and “after” we hit 6982rpm. This actually has the effect of *underestimating* the intake air temp, because as you can see, at 6450rpm, IAT is still trending up. If you interpolate the IAT to 6982 rpm, the temp increase is more like 31deg F rather than 27 deg F, which is more severe than we stated.

Rafi

BossMoss (01-11-19)
Old 12-20-18, 09:09 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Josh Barr - Chiming in.....Thanks Rafi

Look everyone, the data doesn't tell a lie. I ran this mod for close to a year prior to the development of the part. I cant sit there and tell you the car ran faster, etc but what I can say is that the car was more efficient and ran more to the fullest of its potential. I would feel like the car would sometimes "run out of steam" in the higher end. Then, when putting the data to it, it turns out that the heat soak was the issue. Moreover, look at this like the intake. We all know that the intake elbow is more or less an efficiency part. The simple mechanics of an engine is more or less an air pump. MORE air in....MORE air out = MORE HP. This is no different, yet when you take the temp of the air into consideration - again cooler air maintains more efficiency. So, like I was saying, this is a mod that will keep your F running at the fullest of its capabilities. I ran this in hot temps, cold temps, before the SC, before adding e85 etc. I know it works, yet the argument here is somewhat moot since you are more or less attempting to quantify HP. Again, this is about efficiency......
Limelight (12-20-18)
Old 12-20-18, 10:22 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
Josh Barr - Chiming in.....Thanks Rafi

Look everyone, the data doesn't tell a lie. I ran this mod for close to a year prior to the development of the part. I cant sit there and tell you the car ran faster, etc but what I can say is that the car was more efficient and ran more to the fullest of its potential. I would feel like the car would sometimes "run out of steam" in the higher end. Then, when putting the data to it, it turns out that the heat soak was the issue. Moreover, look at this like the intake. We all know that the intake elbow is more or less an efficiency part. The simple mechanics of an engine is more or less an air pump. MORE air in....MORE air out = MORE HP. This is no different, yet when you take the temp of the air into consideration - again cooler air maintains more efficiency. So, like I was saying, this is a mod that will keep your F running at the fullest of its capabilities. I ran this in hot temps, cold temps, before the SC, before adding e85 etc. I know it works, yet the argument here is somewhat moot since you are more or less attempting to quantify HP. Again, this is about efficiency......
Agree, this modification makes for more efficiency. Just did not agree with the way the horsepower gain is stated, because it is based on test runs at 6450rpm. At 70mph, the RCF runs about 1800rpm in top gear, so I have to think what percentage of time am I taking my car up to 6450rpm? Like I said, might have to get one myself, because it is an improvement, just have to be aware that the horsepower gained from this mod is only happening at very high rpms, which I have to believe is not happening for most of us, or we be in jail! for speeding, or buying a lot of rear tires!
Old 12-20-18, 10:59 AM
1herm4
Intermediate

Again, nobody is saying that this mod has ill effects on performance. BUT when a HP is used to promote anything, then you have to proof that number or close to it if thats your selling point. Too many variables to consider to come up with a solid number. It's not a controlled environment with fixed numbers you're testing with and the consumer gets it. Sell it as "potential gains up to XXHp" dont pull a number out the sky. Its how the product is marketed which i have the issue and not the theory behind it.

I think most would understand that colder air carries more oxygen molecules which allows you to dump more fuel into the combustion chamber which equal more power.
Polarshade (12-20-18)
Old 12-20-18, 03:01 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,413 Likes on 647 Posts

Again, nobody is saying that this mod has ill effects on performance. BUT when a HP is used to promote anything, then you have to proof that number or close to it if thats your selling point. Too many variables to consider to come up with a solid number. It's not a controlled environment with fixed numbers you're testing with and the consumer gets it. Sell it as "potential gains up to XXHp" dont pull a number out the sky. Its how the product is marketed which i have the issue and not the theory behind it.

I think most would understand that colder air carries more oxygen molecules which allows you to dump more fuel into the combustion chamber which equal more power.
Here's what we say on our website... we are very transparent about it, and nothing misleading... the correction factors we are referencing are standard corrections established by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)::

"How much power can you expect to make with our RCF Carbon Fiber Intake Heat Shield? Dyno manufacturers apply a correction factor to dyno results based on temperature. These correction factors typically adjust HP by 1% for every 10 degrees. Therefore, comparing the 22 deg F temperature difference with and without our heat shield, a simple modification like this intake duct will add 2.1% power increase, or about 11 hp."
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following 2 users liked this post by RRRacing:
BossMoss (01-11-19), LRCSALES (12-28-18)
Old 12-20-18, 03:34 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

What cracks me up about this post is "Polarshade" popped up to thank you. The least active member of the forum. He has 2 posts and one is basically just like yours, bashing R&R...

Quick Reply: New rr intake heat shield