RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake Disk and Pad life

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 10:16 PM
mirza
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake Disk and Pad life

Hi guys, Im at almost 40k miles and have to start thinking brakes.
I had these pads(service bulletin for squeaking, really to get new pads for free ) for about 22k miles. Still on the original rotors.
I dont track the car and have not measured the pads yet.
Does anybody have experience with pad and rotor life?
Old 07-17-18, 09:39 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I, too just topped 40K miles. Mine is a 2015 bought CPO from a Lexus dealership with 2xxx miles on the odo back at the end of 2015. I assumed it had original brake pads since it only had 28xx miles when I got it
i recently took it in for service and they measured the pads and put on my paperwork as having 5 mm thickness remaining on all four.

Does anyone know at what point I will need changing pads BEFORE the wear sensors are damaged?

Thanks

Originally Posted by mirza
Hi guys, Im at almost 40k miles and have to start thinking brakes.
I had these pads(service bulletin for squeaking, really to get new pads for free ) for about 22k miles. Still on the original rotors.
I dont track the car and have not measured the pads yet.
Does anybody have experience with pad and rotor life?
Old 07-17-18, 11:02 AM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I, too just topped 40K miles. Mine is a 2015 bought CPO from a Lexus dealership with 2xxx miles on the odo back at the end of 2015. I assumed it had original brake pads since it only had 28xx miles when I got it
i recently took it in for service and they measured the pads and put on my paperwork as having 5 mm thickness remaining on all four.

Does anyone know at what point I will need changing pads BEFORE the wear sensors are damaged?

Thanks
Unlike other lexus models and some other makes of cars with brake sensors, the RCF brake wear sensors are inbuilt to the pads. If you replace with OEM pads you will be getting new pads again with inbuilt sensors (most service advisors are not aware about this until they consult with parts department). If you are hoping to save money by replacing pads before the wear sensors trip it doesn't make a difference. It will actually cost you more as you are leaving meat on the bone that you can still use for a good amount of miles. To answer your question though I probably ran another 6-8k miles from about 5mm before the inbuilt sensors got tripped. Again this would vary with driving style. Very surprising that your backs are as worn as the fronts, doesn't make sense.

Last edited by konichiwa3; 07-17-18 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 01:54 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

IDK, but the paperwork said 5mm all around. I'm hoping the tech actually put the calibers to the pads and took measurements at all 4 corners.

I don't do any burn outs and no donuts and no power slides at all. It's all around 85% highway miles.

So if I go "after market pads", then I will need to buy sensors separately? Or the sensors are built into the after market pads too?

Thanks

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
Unlike other lexus models and some other makes of cars with brake sensors, the RCF brake wear sensors are inbuilt to the pads. If you replace with OEM pads you will be getting new pads again with inbuilt sensors (most service advisors are not aware about this until they consult with parts department). If you are hoping to save money by replacing pads before the wear sensors trip it doesn't make a difference. It will actually cost you more as you are leaving meat on the bone that you can still use for a good amount of miles. To answer your question though I probably ran another 6-8k miles from about 5mm before the inbuilt sensors got tripped. Again this would vary with driving style. Very surprising that your backs are as worn as the fronts, doesn't make sense.
Old 07-17-18, 03:19 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

IDK, but the paperwork said 5mm all around. I'm hoping the tech actually put the calibers to the pads and took measurements at all 4 corners.

I don't do any burn outs and no donuts and no power slides at all. It's all around 85% highway miles.

So if I go "after market pads", then I will need to buy sensors separately? Or the sensors are built into the after market pads too?

Thanks
Most of the aftermarket pads will say whether sensors are integrated or not. If not integrated then you will just have to go with the traditional method of measuring pads at service intervals. Not sure if you can buy the specific sensors for RCF separately and even if you can you may have major fitment complications. Endless pads have integrated sensors most other aftermarket brands do not
Old 07-17-18, 03:31 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Thanks for the info.

So if I use ANY aftermarket pads (sensors or not), will I get an error on my dashboard display?

Thanks

Most of the aftermarket pads will say whether sensors are integrated or not. If not integrated then you will just have to go with the traditional method of measuring pads at service intervals. Not sure if you can buy the specific sensors for RCF separately and even if you can you may have major fitment complications. Endless pads have integrated sensors most other aftermarket brands do not
Old 07-17-18, 03:54 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Thanks for the info.

So if I use ANY aftermarket pads (sensors or not), will I get an error on my dashboard display?

Thanks
I know of many on this forum who are using aftermarket pads not heard anyone mention of error on dash, would have to defer to them. Aftermarkets with sensor I would imagine will definitely have no error, all plug and play.
Old 07-17-18, 10:39 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm curious what the 30K and 40K maintenance runs at Lexus? Which I think includes the brake maintenance. I'm sure it won't be pretty.
Old 07-18-18, 02:56 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I went in for the fuel railing pumps recall only.

I will do the routine maintenance elsewhere.

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
I'm curious what the 30K and 40K maintenance runs at Lexus? Which I think includes the brake maintenance. I'm sure it won't be pretty.
Old 07-18-18, 03:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Sensors are available separately. If you do not replace the sensors or somehow close the sensor circuit, you will have a constant nagging warning light. The sensors burn through with 2mm of pad left. FSM says pads are good to 1mm. I say pads are good until you're metal on metal (from experience at the track), and even if they go metal on metal, it only means you have no choice but to buy new rotors. If this is your second set of pads on the rotors, there is no reason to worry, just change both pads and rotors because after the second set of OEM pads, the rotors will be too thin to return to service.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (08-06-18)
Old 07-18-18, 10:18 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

^^^^ good point on rotors. Dealer will usually try scare you into replacing rotors each time your replace pads. Rotors should last you through 2 pad replacements.

As for the 40k service even with pad replacement not too bad. The one you wouldn't be looking forward to is the 60k, lots to be done on this service.
Old 08-04-18, 08:33 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Thanks for the info.

Thanks
I can now confirm, yes you will get a warning on dash if you install aftermarket pad without sensors. However, there are two ways you can walk around this.

Option# 1: Buy brake wear sensors hook it up and then zip tie and tuck them away, will cost you about $400 for all four sensors.

Option #2 Join the 2 exposed wires from the main brake sensors with twist on wire connectors, this will maintain a closed loop circuit, zip tie and tuck away. Cost, less than $1.

I just installed new after market pads and went with option #2.
Old 08-04-18, 09:00 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I like the dollar menu better!!! LOL

I can now confirm, yes you will get a warning on dash if you install aftermarket pad without sensors. However, there are two ways you can walk around this.

Option# 1: Buy brake wear sensors hook it up and then zip tie and tuck them away, will cost you about $400 for all four sensors.

Option #2 Join the 2 exposed wires from the main brake sensors with twist on wire connectors, this will maintain a closed loop circuit, zip tie and tuck away. Cost, less than $1.

Old 08-04-18, 09:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I did this on the wife's GS F because I inspected the pads, saw they were still well within wear limits, and I didn't have the new pads on hand to swap them out (her car gets all OEM stuff, it's just easier that way). So I shorted out the wires and tied them back to stop the annoying and worthless nagging warning. I get it if the warning pops up when you start the car. I don't get it when the warning pops up repeatedly while driving when there is absolutely nothing wrong with your brakes according to the factory service manual. I'm not a fan of the system as implemented. If it turned on at 1mm, then I'd say it's fair, but it doesn't.
Old 08-04-18, 10:15 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

We can do this after the sensor has been tripped?

Quick Reply: Brake Disk and Pad life