RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Help with brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 09:19 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Help with brake pads

Ok so I have to change my brake pads. Last time I took my car for maintenance to the dealership they told me my front brakes would need to be replaced soon yadda yadda... they wanted about $1300 'cause they wanted to replace my rotors as well. I know my rotors are fine, the car has 22k miles therefore I'm not changing the rotors now, just the pads... so I'll be doing this myself but I'm not sure which pads I should get.

I have a few options and have read a few posts about the pads. I don't track the car, I just want the same or similar to my stock original pads so obviously I looked at the OEM pads first but here's my trouble with these:

why are these $500+ https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...)&Location=pd:,

and these only $360? https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...)&Location=pd:,

what's the difference between those two?

...and then the aftermarket ones I found some people recommended here in the forums

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-21269470...s-f-front.html

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-23901512...placement.html

and even these I found in autozone which makes me wonder why they are so much cheaper compared to the others since people have told me they are supposedly good

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...6_183287_16108

So what do you guys recommend? what do you guys that have experience with these would say can be the best option for daily driving, no hard track days or anything just some "spirited" driving and something with not that much brake dust would be awesome too.

Thanks
Old 03-18-18, 06:13 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

I’d get the project Mu since you don’t track the car. They make good pads for the price.

Personally I'm running Endless. It is an awesome pad for street & track use. I don’t even swap pads anymore, just run those full time. Dust is very manageable and no squeaks, plus it stops well cold. Bad thing is they cost $$ plus wears faster. Very easy on the rotor though.

Wouldn't get oe pads. Don’t stop as good and more dust.
Not sure about autozone pads...
The following users liked this post:
Slash300zx (03-18-18)
Old 03-18-18, 04:07 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Project Mu pads are great. Contact us for pricing!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Slash300zx (03-22-18)
Old 03-18-18, 05:33 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Good luck with the pads. I would like to replace mine soon. Would you mine doing a basic write up with just the major steps on how to replace the pads? I've never had monoblock calipers and so unfamiliar with swapping out pads and the whole brake indicator line . Thanks!
Old 03-18-18, 06:26 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

It’s pretty easy.
If you know how brakes work and are mechanically inclined, easy to figure out.

Heres a cliff note version:
1. Take pressure off the spring clips
2. Tap out pins.
3. Remove clips.
4. Remove the cross bar & nut
5. Remove sensor clip and the sensor
6. Loosen brake fluid cap to allow room & release pressure.
7. Spread pad to push pistons back
8. Remove pad
9. Reverse order to reinstall.

Trickiest part is trying to get all 3 pistons to compress at once.
Theres a tool for it. I just use a small pry tool and gently push against the old pad & rotor to spread. Not the best but I didn’t have the $150 spreader tool thingy handy. Probably should buy one...
Old 03-18-18, 06:48 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah like Mingofish says, it's not all that hard. Maybe I'll record the whole thing and put it on youtube or something... I've never done a 6 piston caliper pad change, only done it on 300zx's and on IS350's but it's basically the same. If it were pads and rotors then things get more complicated but changing pads is pretty easy.
Old 03-18-18, 06:59 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks Mingofish and Slash300zx. Sounds straight forward. forw getting those pistons flush sounds like the main hold up.
Old 03-19-18, 11:48 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're not planning on tracking the car then the Project Mu Type NS are likely the best way to go. We still have a couple sets left from our first big batch on an introductory special:

Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu Type NS

Please let me know if you have any questions

-Matt M.
Slash300zx (03-22-18)
Old 03-19-18, 01:32 PM
GGawaran
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
If you're not planning on tracking the car then the Project Mu Type NS are likely the best way to go. We still have a couple sets left from our first big batch on an introductory special:

Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu Type NS

Please let me know if you have any questions

-Matt M.
Not to thread jack but does this include the wear sensors? Or will I need to purchase these separately?
Old 03-19-18, 02:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Mingofish
It’s pretty easy.
If you know how brakes work and are mechanically inclined, easy to figure out.

Heres a cliff note version:
1. Take pressure off the spring clips
2. Tap out pins.
3. Remove clips.
4. Remove the cross bar & nut
5. Remove sensor clip and the sensor
6. Loosen brake fluid cap to allow room & release pressure.
7. Spread pad to push pistons back
8. Remove pad
9. Reverse order to reinstall.

Trickiest part is trying to get all 3 pistons to compress at once.
Theres a tool for it. I just use a small pry tool and gently push against the old pad & rotor to spread. Not the best but I didn’t have the $150 spreader tool thingy handy. Probably should buy one...
Originally Posted by Slash300zx
Yeah like Mingofish says, it's not all that hard. Maybe I'll record the whole thing and put it on youtube or something... I've never done a 6 piston caliper pad change, only done it on 300zx's and on IS350's but it's basically the same. If it were pads and rotors then things get more complicated but changing pads is pretty easy.
There's nothing magical about 6 pistons compared to 4 or even 2. They all get changed the same way, and the steps Mingofish has are pretty much dead on. There's a thread in the IS F section by Caymandive with pictures that will walk you through it all too. Pad spreaders are for race teams who have to swap hot pads or mechanics who do pads swaps routinely. A DIY mechanic can do the same thing with a block of wood and a C clamp with just a tiny bit of patience. If you are changing rotors at the same time, you can just slide a pry bar between the pad and rotor too, it's very quick and makes getting all the pistons retracted very simple.
Old 03-19-18, 04:27 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GGawaran
Not to thread jack but does this include the wear sensors? Or will I need to purchase these separately?
That price is for pads only because most can just re-use their existing sensors as long as they are careful removing them from the old pads. I can look into including wear sensors as well to ship with the pads. We've done this on other cars for ~$15/sensor but I need to see if these are any different.

Matt M.
Old 03-20-18, 07:16 AM
Ninja10r
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

why not just get the service bulletin done , they will replace the pads under warranty ... however i needed the front brake sensors , so rockauto sent some out within 2 day at $23.00 each
ModInJapan (03-20-18)
Old 03-26-18, 10:00 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need some advise on pads and rotors replacements.

Originally Posted by Mingofish
I’d get the project Mu since you don’t track the car. They make good pads for the price.

Personally I'm running Endless. It is an awesome pad for street & track use. I don’t even swap pads anymore, just run those full time. Dust is very manageable and no squeaks, plus it stops well cold. Bad thing is they cost $$ plus wears faster. Very easy on the rotor though.

Wouldn't get oe pads. Don’t stop as good and more dust.
Not sure about autozone pads...
I am currently running the pads that was replaced under the TSB (L-SB-0054-15) for over 18K miles. The TSB replacement pads used (F: 04465-0W200; R: 04466-0W080) produce a lot less brake dust and no squeals but does not brake as well as the original pads but it is still fine. I was check on getting new pads in the near future and found that if I use the replacement pads does not show to be for the RC-F rather for the LS460 F-Sports. I will probably replace both the rotors and pads at the same time in about 3-5K. Cost for Lexus OEM rotor and pads (replacement version) came out to be $744.76 for all OEM rotors, $806.13 for OEM Pads and shipping $160.09 for total of $1,710.98.

For brake pads:
I found on ebay.com Endless MX72 Front/Rear Brake Pads (RCP136/RCP171) for only $515.28 + $75.77 for total $591.05. The difference in price between the OEM TSB replacment pads and Endless MX72 pads are $290.85. Anyone have any experience between Lexus OEM TSB pad vs the Endless MX72? Is the OEM worth it? Any issues with the Endless MX72 pads? Pros and Cons will be helpful.

For the rotors.
Anyone have other suggestion? I know R1 Concept has replacement aftermarket rotors but they informed me that shipping will be $300. A bit too much as I can get OEM Brembo rotors from LexusPartsNow.com with shipping that is less than half. Therefore no price advantage between the R1 Concept vs OEM Brembo rotors. Unless there is some performance difference on the R1 Concept over the Brembo.

Chu...
Old 03-27-18, 08:52 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Wagner Thermo Quiets.
Old 03-27-18, 11:46 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

you can find mx72 for less than 500.
Call RR and talk to Simon.