RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F to GT-R maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 11:00 AM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I asked a dealer that specializes in gt-rs to give me a trade in value on the rcf. I knew it was going to be less than current payoff, but he gave me a number of only 37,000!!!!

Can anyone provide any feedback/validation on this? I think that is really, really low, but if that is valid, I'll have to wait until the lease expires and glad that I decided to lease.
Old 03-01-18, 11:16 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
Well, I asked a dealer that specializes in gt-rs to give me a trade in value on the rcf. I knew it was going to be less than current payoff, but he gave me a number of only 37,000!!!!

Can anyone provide any feedback/validation on this? I think that is really, really low, but if that is valid, I'll have to wait until the lease expires and glad that I decided to lease.
Trade-ins always yield the lowest value since the dealership factors in the profit margin to resell the car and they want to maximize that profit. So in order for them to sell close to market value, they have to pay the wholesale price. They call it the 'black market value' as in, auction price of the car. That is why selling privately is more hassle, but gets much better returns.

Best option is to sell it privately or do a lease transfer to another party where the other party assumes responsibility for the remainder of the lease (if you are trying to get rid of it before the lease end).
Old 03-01-18, 12:03 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Trade-ins always yield the lowest value since the dealership factors in the profit margin to resell the car and they want to maximize that profit. So in order for them to sell close to market value, they have to pay the wholesale price. They call it the 'black market value' as in, auction price of the car. That is why selling privately is more hassle, but gets much better returns.

Best option is to sell it privately or do a lease transfer to another party where the other party assumes responsibility for the remainder of the lease (if you are trying to get rid of it before the lease end).

Yeah, I know that. I just cannot believe the RC-F has tanked this much. I knew a few high-mileage cars were around 40, but I thought mine would still be worth around 45. Unbelievable, less than 10K miles and still has the new-car smell.
Still, I think this offer is too low. I would like to hear other's experience on this if possible.
Old 03-01-18, 01:26 PM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I just got 42 k for my trade 2015 with 19k , all the options expect performance package . I believe that dealership lowballed you
Old 03-01-18, 02:21 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

$37,000 is the trade in for a RC F with below average condition:
Black Book Trade-In as of 02/26/2018
Clean Average Rough
Base $38,970 $37,290 $32,085
Mileage $3,575 $4,250 $4,000
Total $42,545 $41,540 $36,085

http://www.blackbookportals.com/bb/p...owtradein=True
Old 03-01-18, 05:10 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

considering your car msrp at 74k in 2015, for being 4 yr old model, 37k is close to fair trade in given your low miles. Most high dollar cars lose close to half value in 3 years. The fact that RCF is lowest on the performance list in class doesn’t help either. There is a dealer in NY still can’t get rid of 3 brand new 2016 RCF for 53k asking, so the demand is very weak when better performance oriented cars can be had for few grand more. Don’t forget tax credit when trading in, so effectively close to 40k compared to selling yourself.
Old 03-02-18, 10:51 AM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got 42k for my 15 with 15km on it, wanted 44K however i got a really good deal on the GTR compared to other dealers.

Not bad considering i paid $45 and change almost a year ago.
Old 03-02-18, 10:15 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MannyRCF
I just got 42k for my 15 with 15km on it, wanted 44K however i got a really good deal on the GTR compared to other dealers.

Not bad considering i paid $45 and change almost a year ago.
gtr you bought leftover new or used?
Old 03-07-18, 03:37 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked

gtr you bought leftover new or used?

2018 New, it was $1200 bucks more then leftover 17 dealers had.

I pick it up on the 16th
Old 03-07-18, 04:23 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -
Forum Moderator

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

The GT-R is an amazing machine to simply put it. I would definitely consider it however I would look for at a minimum 2015 as the 2012-2014 "DBA" have a very rough suspension. 2009-2011"CBA" need alot of TLC, transmission is vulnerable, and look a little dated in stock form so I would rule that out immediately. In the 2015s and up, the suspension was refined for a more comfortable drive and alot of the rattles etc have been rectified. It was a night and day difference when I drove my friends 2014 Premium after driving my 2015 Black edition.

For something more luxurious, I would consider a 2017-2018 as the exterior and interior were redesigned. The interior got almost a complete make over (rear seats / setup are the same) which makes the car visibly more appealing. While the interior quality is nowhere near the Lexus standard, it does look alot nicer than interior found in previous years. Im not 100% sold on the front bumper redesign, though I do like the rear bumper quite alot; Thats what aftermarket options are for anyway...

The GT-R in stock form sounds like a vacuum, has a quiet exhaust note, and is mechanically louder in terms of transmission and shifting. While on the shifting point, in stop and go traffic, the car was a little more jerky than I would of liked. You can definitely daily drive it, though its going to be rougher than your Lexus. It was alot rougher than my 4GS and that was noticeable right off the bat. Performance wise, its going to slightly quicker and more raw than the F. This however will all change, should you choose to mod the car. The sky really is the limit with this platform.

When I first began to mod the car, I did a FBO + E85 setup. The mods included in this full bolt on setup were
- AMS Downpipes
- IPE Exhaust
- 1050cc Asnu injectors
- Asnu E85 rated Fuel Pumps
- Got Boost 3" Intakes
- Got Boost Flex Fuel Kit
- Cobb w/ ECU & TCM Tuning
- Ben Linney Flex Fuel Tune

When I completed street tuning the car with Ben Linney, the car was an absolute monster, I could not believe how much power the car had locked away. The car at FBO E85 level will defiantly shoot you back into your seat and decimate all on the freeway...that is unless you run into a Huracan Performante, Mclaren 720s, Hyper Cars, or another highly modified GT-R. Anyways this first tune left me in complete awe, the car was pretty smooth and seemed to shift faster than it was instock form. Overall I was quite happy and impressed.

A year or so later, I ended up adding some more mods (basically a full Alpha 7 + few more mods), which would require me to switch to a Speed Density setup. Since the car had to be retuned completely, I opted to switch to Ecutek with Ben Linney from my current Cobb Setup. Driving on my new Ecutek tune was a night and day difference vs the cobb tune. The car became smooth as butter when shifting and in traffic. The shifts seem to be even quicker than when I was on Cobb. Performance wise, the car seems to be happier and just overall a lot better. I can say that being in traffic with Bens optimized Ecutek TCM map is very comfortable, its almost on par with my 4GS. I dont know how else to explain it, but the car feels 10x better on ecutek then it did in stock form, and maybe 2x better than it was on its Cobb tune. Going back I wish I went ecutek the first time around to save some $, but then again that is a growing pain we all experience when we jump into a new platform and begin modding.

Seeing as you are in Texas, I would take a trip to visit Jotech and see if they would be willing to take you on a drive on one of their FBO builds. I guarantee you when you get out of the car, you will still be smiling haha.

TLDR: GT-R is an amazing platform, though very dull and rough in stock form. Find a 2015+ year and do some minor mods to really awaken it up and make it super smooth when daily driving. Also do your research as there so many different options for mods and ecu tune platforms.
Old 03-07-18, 04:36 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Eheehheeh, i'm doing my flex fuel and e85 right now , one or 2 more maps then i'll perfect. Still logging today is 3rd MAP TODAY .

Last edited by ISF4life; 03-07-18 at 04:39 PM. Reason: WRONG TYPO
Old 03-07-18, 07:14 PM
BrennanH
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I know that. I just cannot believe the RC-F has tanked this much. I knew a few high-mileage cars were around 40, but I thought mine would still be worth around 45. Unbelievable, less than 10K miles and still has the new-car smell.
Still, I think this offer is too low. I would like to hear other's experience on this if possible.
They are going to bring the car to auction... so figure in transport, auction fees, etc... they are taking the reasonable sale value for your car currently at whatever auction they choose and lowering it by those costs. I just bought mine wholesale. Do I think your offer is low? Yes. But probably only 1500-2k low.

RC F's have not held their value well. Thats unfortunate for everyone that bought new, but I think, being that its an F car and a lot of people still love the Lexus brand (look at IS F values) they will begin to flatten out over the next 3 yrs. Which is good for people getting into the market now.

Originally Posted by Ricardorc
I just got 42 k for my trade 2015 with 19k , all the options expect performance package . I believe that dealership lowballed you
Was it to a Lexus dealer? They probably wanted your clean car to CPO and then try to sell for 48k. They value CPO at something like 3k+ (someone correct me I bet someone knows the actual figure), but I assure you thats not where the market is for a non-Lexus dealer that has to bring the car to auction.

I bought my car wholesale, but before I did I talked to a local Lexus dealer. They told me they didnt think it was reasonable to find me a 2015 with reasonable miles (ie: 20kish) for under 50k. :rofl: You can get them wholesale for 38-42k. They thought so little of the prospect they rushed me out the door after a test drive and havent called me since.

Last edited by BrennanH; 03-07-18 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-07-18, 08:03 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

drove the GTR on the track once, fast capable car, mind numbingly boring to drive
Old 03-08-18, 09:46 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
drove the GTR on the track once, fast capable car, mind numbingly boring to drive
did you broke the track record ? if not u aint shiiit
Old 03-08-18, 12:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Didnt know you have to set a lap record to know if a car is fun to drive or not. My mistake.

Quick Reply: RC-F to GT-R maybe?