RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Engine Oil Consumption / Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 08:18 AM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Engine Oil Consumption / Aftermarket Exhaust

My engine oil consumption saga continues with Lexus Corp here in Canada. My engine continues to consume oil at a rate of more than 1 L every 1500 km or ( or approx 1.05 US quarts every 932 miles).

Under warranty I am on my second dry/wet compression test. The first time around they did not record the individual readings, so they ran the tests a second time. Not sure if all these reading look ok and are within spec? Here are the results:

Lexus claims the compression readings look good. However, they are asking me to perform another round of engine oil consumption tests. They claim that the aftermarket exhaust (Apexi, no resonated) might be causing the problem and they need to have the engine system entirely back to stock (at my expense; I have no other mods to my engine system)?

I performed a quick google search and can't find any references to a performance exhaust making oil consumption worse? Furthermore, I've explained to them that the oil consumption problem was there even before I installed the aftermarket exhaust at around 10,500 km (6,500 miles). The engine oil consumption problem was already documented with Lexus at the time of installation (first account at around 6,000 km).

What do you guys think?

Wolfman
Attached Thumbnails Engine Oil Consumption / Aftermarket Exhaust-dwcomp01.jpg  
Old 10-03-17, 04:50 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

These are all low dry, and wet indicates your rings are gone, the bores are glazed and it needs to be honed, ( at the least ) new rings and pistons. I am a mechanic and I think Lowbux will agree. Lexus are passing the bucks, this is a full motor rebuild, the after market exhaust does nothing, contact Lexus head office,
Old 10-03-17, 04:53 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

While ridiculous as a claim, I think that the engine is worth more money than the exhaust switch out. See about getting it done cheaply and then get them to deal with the engine. If it is found to have no effect on the issue you could try to get it back from them, but I would not bank on that. You need your engine taken care of and I would not let the exhaust question stand in my way on that. You could try another dealer if close by, not sure that Lexus corporate would be sympathetic. Others will chime in.
Old 10-03-17, 07:00 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

100% agreed...they are REALLY playing it right thou...They can state that the customer wasn't compliant with resolving the problem on a NON-OEM part...The Old Hardball Trick...

Plus, its just bolt-on...basic tools plus a special socket for O2/AF sensors...

Originally Posted by Apone
While ridiculous as a claim, I think that the engine is worth more money than the exhaust switch out. See about getting it done cheaply and then get them to deal with the engine. If it is found to have no effect on the issue you could try to get it back from them, but I would not bank on that. You need your engine taken care of and I would not let the exhaust question stand in my way on that. You could try another dealer if close by, not sure that Lexus corporate would be sympathetic. Others will chime in.