RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brand New 2017 RC F Rear-Ended on Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-17, 06:37 AM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brand New 2017 RC F Rear-Ended on Test Drive

About a week ago my beloved 9 year old 2007 IS 350 was rear-ended and totaled. Friday after work we decided to go talk to one of the dealers in town about possibly making an upgrade to an RC F. The sales guy insisted we take one overnight on a test drive...right off the showroom floor. 3 hours later with 20 miles on the odometer, a guy rear-ends us at a stoplight. He says his brakes were bad and he didn't stop in time. He was very apologetic and immediately admitted fault when the cops showed up, but it still stings a bit and I'm nervous to call the sales guy this morning to tell him what happened (accident happened after dealer closed for the day).

Does anyone know how these things usually work when a brand new car is in an accident before it's first sold? Also, what should I expect as far as the dealer's reaction? They are very large dealer in town that sells almost all the luxury brands and has been around at least 30/40 years, so I imagine this has to have happened before.

This is a really awesome car though. Before and after pictures attached.

Before, while hanging out at my father in law's house
Before, while hanging out at my father in law's house
After, there is also some damage to the left quarter panel and one of the rear bumper parking sensors detached.
Old 08-05-17, 06:56 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The dealer will go through your insurance, then your insurance will go through the at fault party. Hopefully you didn't sign something like "if you damage it, you buy it" clause

Whoever buys this RCF when it's fixed should get a pretty good discount since the VIN could have an accident report on it
The following users liked this post:
cpachicka (08-08-17)
Old 08-05-17, 12:38 PM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Slightly different situation but about a year ago I was in a BMW loaner while my car was being fixed for the umpteenth time and was sideswiped in it. Unfortunately the car wasn't drivable afterward (the entire front axle was broken) so the car was towed. Since I wasn't at fault the dealer just asked that I give the repair shop the other driver's info and I never heard about it again until the car was released back to the dealer some $8000 dollars in repairs later. No big deal. Accidents happen. At least you're ok and you weren't at fault.
The following 2 users liked this post by kadify:
ba2sy (08-09-17), cpachicka (08-08-17)
Old 08-05-17, 12:44 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 700 Likes on 614 Posts

Ouch.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-05-17, 03:25 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Oh man that sucks. Yes, dealer will just use your insurance info. You are not at fault. Dealer should have done a "drive-out" form. That protects them from eating damages, if the salesperson did not do a "drive-out" form then it becomes their issue. Good luck, and don't buy that one. You DONT have to....
cpachicka (08-08-17)
Old 08-05-17, 06:57 PM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ssmoked
The dealer will go through your insurance, then your insurance will go through the at fault party. Hopefully you didn't sign something like "if you damage it, you buy it" clause

Whoever buys this RCF when it's fixed should get a pretty good discount since the VIN could have an accident report on it
Originally Posted by Kramer
Oh man that sucks. Yes, dealer will just use your insurance info. You are not at fault. Dealer should have done a "drive-out" form. That protects them from eating damages, if the salesperson did not do a "drive-out" form then it becomes their issue. Good luck, and don't buy that one. You DONT have to....
I did not sign anything saying I'd buy it if it was damaged, but they definitely tried to talk me into buying it. The sticker on the car was about $77,300 and they were willing to give me a "great deal" of $71,000. I don't think the current market justifies that as there are some dealers in the region selling similarly equipped new 2017 RC F's for $65/66K that haven't been in accidents and this one has also been on the market for about 6 months (which I think is why they were so eager for me to take it on an overnight test drive in the first place). I walked away.
Old 08-06-17, 06:39 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't buy new, find a '16 with 2k miles and save 10K.
finny76 (08-08-17)
Old 08-06-17, 06:40 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh and, how did the RC-F compare to the IS 350 ?
Old 08-06-17, 06:48 AM
cones169
Driver School Candidate

it could go through yours or their insurance. did they ask for your insurance card before they let you use card? either way if its yours your insurance won't go up. you were rear ended. its no fault. maybe they will give you a better discount since the car fax won't be clean anymore.
Old 08-06-17, 08:06 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say, if you like that car, and they give you a deal you can't resist, buy it, you seem to be the type who keeps a car for a log time, a fender bender on the carfax won't hurt the resale value of the car, you also have the history of this accident you can prove to the buyer when that time comes. Lexus is giving huge incentives on the RC since its selling slowly, in any case, best of luck and let us know how this one turned out.
Old 08-08-17, 12:42 PM
n2knee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe that the accident is guaranteed to show up in the Carfax report. The accidents on the two cars that I previously owned never showed up on the Carfax report.
finny76 (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 04:34 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I see 2-3 shades of red in that first pic. IR is so hard to photograph. Maybe this is an omen to stay away from red.

Hope everything works out for you.
cpachicka (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 05:11 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

OK - I have to ask the obvious question. Were you driving both times you were recently rear-ended? If so, I suggest you ditch the new car idea for a while and go by some clunker/tank because you are jinxed dude!

Hey, all kidding aside, like other said you are OK and accidents happen. Regarding insurance from my experience, one of two things will happen depending on what paperwork they have (I know you said you did not sign anything) but again, it will be one of the two ways that others have said. Your insurance co. will go through the person who hit you insurance to square the dealer or the dealer will work with the insurance company of the person who rear ended you directly. Hopefully it will be the second scenario so it will not touch your insurance company for they have a way to hit you with an increase even when it is not your fault.

As far as the RCF and repair. If the dealer has their own body shop they can do the repair and not list it but that gets 'shady' and you stated they are reputable so that is good. As someone stated, someone may get a really good deal on this car being it has an accident on record so if you really like the car, maybe it could be a win-win for you and the dealership. That is dependent on the sales price and as you stated, their offer sounded a bit on the high end but I have not been following sales and inventory on RCF's lately.

Regardless, good luck and stay away from me and my cars!
Old 08-08-17, 08:09 PM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HankMoody
Don't buy new, find a '16 with 2k miles and save 10K.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking as well. There are quite a few 2015 and 2016's out there with under 15K miles going from $50-60K. I bought my IS with 15K miles on it and that car was nothing but good to me, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy another used Lexus.

Originally Posted by HankMoody
Oh and, how did the RC-F compare to the IS 350 ?
It's really hard to compare because they are such different cars. V8 vs V6, coupe vs. sedan. The RC F definitely had more power and we were getting looks everywhere we went the night we had her, however the "sporty" ride and two doors would be quite the adjustment for me. Also having a RWD car in a place that gets snow was quite the annoyance and I vowed my next car would be an AWD, but the RC F is definitely making me reconsider that. Still love the IS350, I think the 2017's look great, but it felt like I was driving the same car I've been driving for 9 years and part of me wants to try something new.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-08-17, 08:18 PM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mr2dave
OK - I have to ask the obvious question. Were you driving both times you were recently rear-ended? If so, I suggest you ditch the new car idea for a while and go by some clunker/tank because you are jinxed dude!

Hey, all kidding aside, like other said you are OK and accidents happen. Regarding insurance from my experience, one of two things will happen depending on what paperwork they have (I know you said you did not sign anything) but again, it will be one of the two ways that others have said. Your insurance co. will go through the person who hit you insurance to square the dealer or the dealer will work with the insurance company of the person who rear ended you directly. Hopefully it will be the second scenario so it will not touch your insurance company for they have a way to hit you with an increase even when it is not your fault.

As far as the RCF and repair. If the dealer has their own body shop they can do the repair and not list it but that gets 'shady' and you stated they are reputable so that is good. As someone stated, someone may get a really good deal on this car being it has an accident on record so if you really like the car, maybe it could be a win-win for you and the dealership. That is dependent on the sales price and as you stated, their offer sounded a bit on the high end but I have not been following sales and inventory on RCF's lately.

Regardless, good luck and stay away from me and my cars!
Haha, yes I was driving both times and when I got hit the second time in the RC F it was definitely one of those "are you kidding me" kind of moments. I think I need a yearly uber pass or something at this point. I'm also wondering if it was the universe telling me I need to move on from Lexus.

I was kind of surprised at their initial offer, since the car had been on their lot for 6+ months and now has been in an accident. I think they were also surprised we walked away from their offer and if we give them another week I think they may be willing to come down a bit more. But honestly, I'm fine going with one of these low-mileage used RC F's that are out on the market in the $50-60K range if they don't.

Quick Reply: Brand New 2017 RC F Rear-Ended on Test Drive