Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Forgeline Wheels - CF & Forged

Saw these and looked nice. Never seen a mix like this and wanted to share:

http://www.forgeline.com/main-produc...forged-series/

Old 07-12-17, 11:47 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

For $3850-4k a piece, what's the weight?
Old 07-12-17, 11:54 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Not sure exact weights but got this from the site, "...super-lightweight carbon fiber barrel utilizes a high-density carbon fiber bundle, high-clarity resin system, and large carbon weave to create an attractive and visually distinctive rim that is 42% lighter than its aluminum equivalent, delivering a significant weight reduction to the wheel's outer perimeter, where it has the greatest reduction in unwanted inertia and yields real-world improvements to acceleration, braking, cornering traction, ride quality, NVH (noise, vibration, & harshness), driver/passenger comfort, and fuel economy. " I am sure you could ping them and find out.

I know these aren't cheap but I also know full CF wheels are stupid expensive. Just another option for people wanting something more exotic, lighter than standard forged and has the best of both worlds.
Old 07-12-17, 12:14 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm a huge Forgeline fan. They actually supply wheels to successful motorsport teams.

The RCF really needs a custom specs to be done right. 99% of the wheel/tire combos I see here don't fit. I'm always surprised how often people settle on wheel fitment and go with oddball instagram brands probably due to a lack of education and a real budget.

And make note that many vendors proclaim they make forged wheels. Not all forged wheels are created equal. Many will fail when it comes to supporting you should things ever go wrong.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-17, 02:04 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
The RCF really needs a custom specs to be done right. 99% of the wheel/tire combos I see here don't fit. I'm always surprised how often people settle on wheel fitment and go with oddball instagram brands probably due to a lack of education and a real budget.
Any brands spring to mind that already have custom spec wheels for this application? I was thinking that Advan/Yokohama (motorsport) may and that Vossen (road) might as well.
Old 07-12-17, 02:14 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Apone
Any brands spring to mind that already have custom spec wheels for this application? I was thinking that Advan/Yokohama (motorsport) may and that Vossen (road) might as well.
I did exhaustive research and came up with Forgeline or HRE. But disclaimer is I'm not familiar with what's offered out of japan besides Work wheels which are legit, but I don't think they're a fully custom shop. I didn't look into them further because the wheels I wanted (VS-XX) are heavier cast wheels.

A solid hypothesis is there's just not enough RCF volume to justify making a set specific to one make/model. I probably see 4-5 F8X M3 and M4s per day running around LA. I see maybe 1 RCF every few weeks in comparison. This is one of the goods and bads of driving an unpopular, newer line vehicle. I'd love for Akrapovic to make a proper black exhaust straying away from that tin can chrome aesthetic that's oddly so well accepted by RCF owners, but they don't and I can understand why.

Last edited by CYKBC; 07-12-17 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-12-17, 06:49 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Saw these and looked nice. Never seen a mix like this and wanted to share:

http://www.forgeline.com/main-produc...forged-series/

These are simply gorgeous. I ran across a set of full CF rims when I bought my Stance that ran a shade over $4k per wheel. I just couldn't imagine (let alone afford) spending $18k on rims/tires for a $75k vehicle. I might consider them again for the LF-A that I pick up when I win the lottery!
Old 07-13-17, 04:21 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Apone
I did exhaustive research and came up with Forgeline or HRE. But disclaimer is I'm not familiar with what's offered out of japan besides Work wheels which are legit, but I don't think they're a fully custom shop. I didn't look into them further because the wheels I wanted (VS-XX) are heavier cast wheels.

A solid hypothesis is there's just not enough RCF volume to justify making a set specific to one make/model. I probably see 4-5 F8X M3 and M4s per day running around LA. I see maybe 1 RCF every few weeks in comparison. This is one of the goods and bads of driving an unpopular, newer line vehicle. I'd love for Akrapovic to make a proper black exhaust straying away from that tin can chrome aesthetic that's oddly so well accepted by RCF owners, but they don't and I can understand why.
BBS Japan has specific specs for our RCF. Try searching BBS FZ-MG003 and 004. It's their lightest and only forged magnesium wheel so far. It's about $3k a wheel. Then, forged duralumin BBS RI-D around $2k a wheel...
Old 07-13-17, 09:22 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ba2sy
BBS Japan has specific specs for our RCF. Try searching BBS FZ-MG003 and 004. It's their lightest and only forged magnesium wheel so far. It's about $3k a wheel. Then, forged duralumin BBS RI-D around $2k a wheel...
If what you say is true and these are it and BBS offered it in black, I'd be very tempted.

What are BBS's "specific specs" for the RCF for you to back up your statement? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Forgeline Wheels - CF & Forged-fz-mg_c02.jpg  
Old 07-13-17, 01:13 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

If what you say is true and these are it and BBS offered it in black, I'd be very tempted.

What are BBS's "specific specs" for the RCF for you to back up your statement? Thanks.
I just saw it on their BBS Wheel Catalog: There are only 3 cars that has fitment for FZ-MG = RCF, M2, M4. I am more familiar with 20" wheels/tires though. But if those fitment came from Japan and supplier of OEM BBS wheels, I bet they know what they are doing. Our BBS OEM RCF Fitment though is for track and more tucked in than flashed-look.

So far, I haven't seen a picture of an RCF with FZ-MG but there are a lot of pics of RCFs with RI-D now though.
Old 07-13-17, 01:49 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

For reference, my Forgelines are 20x9 +33, 20x10 +38 on 255/30 fronts, 295/30s rear. Fits very flush in the rear. Flush in the front. No rubbing. Getting greedy, I tried to shove 265s up front, but it would rub on these nasty freeway LA bumps at ~80mph which is hands down the best fitment test on planet Earth. True compression happens at high speeds on *****ty Socal freeways.

I'm so razor thin on the rear tire edge to fender that running 295/30 Pilot Super Sports in the non-Mercedes OEM version makes it rub. Same 295/30/20 specs tire to tire per Michelin. My specs are that good.

What I've learned in my fitment testing is that Lexus left very little room for bigger/wider wheel and tire combos. I honestly have no idea how a lowered RCF runs wider than 10.5s and 295s in the rear and claim it doesn't rub. If it doesn't rub on the fender, it's going to absolutely rub on the inside wheel well. I'm also not sold on BBS's spec choices on both the RI-D and FZ-MG. They won't sit flush and they're no wider than stock wheels. Defeats the purpose of going aftermarket. I ran BBS LMs back in the day and they were perfect fitment for the E46 M3.

Kudos to you for highlighting the BBS visual - thx. I'd love to see some real RCF photos with tire + BBS wheels specs out of Japan so I can judge for myself. Lowered, of course.

Last edited by CYKBC; 07-13-17 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 02:58 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

For reference, my Forgelines are 20x9 +33, 20x10 +38 on 255/30 fronts, 295/30s rear. Fits very flush in the rear. Flush in the front. No rubbing. Getting greedy, I tried to shove 265s up front, but it would rub on these nasty freeway LA bumps at ~80mph which is hands down the best fitment test on planet Earth. True compression happens at high speeds on *****ty Socal freeways.

I'm so razor thin on the rear tire edge to fender that running 295/30 Pilot Super Sports in the non-Mercedes OEM version makes it rub. Same 295/30/20 specs tire to tire per Michelin. My specs are that good.

What I've learned in my fitment testing is that Lexus left very little room for bigger/wider wheel and tire combos. I honestly have no idea how a lowered RCF runs wider than 10.5s and 295s in the rear and claim it doesn't rub. If it doesn't rub on the fender, it's going to absolutely rub on the inside wheel well. I'm also not sold on BBS's spec choices on both the RI-D and FZ-MG. They won't sit flush and they're no wider than stock wheels. Defeats the purpose of going aftermarket. I ran BBS LMs back in the day and they were perfect fitment for the E46 M3.

Kudos to you for highlighting the BBS visual - thx. I'd love to see some real RCF photos with tire + BBS wheels specs out of Japan so I can judge for myself. Lowered, of course.
Thanks for the reference. As for me, I have 20x10 +35 with 265/30 PSS and 20x11 +40 with 295/30 PSS. My Front is fine on a straight and no dips but once I hit a dip then it rubs. I have the aircups so, I can raise it up at will. I think for the front to work well, I need the 20x9 +40 then, I can probably shove 265/30 as well or just keep 255/30 for the 20x9. My Rear 20x11 +40 is fine no rubbing but it all depends on the height of your coilovers too. You just have to play with the height of the coilovers and tire spec differences (fatter/taller and skinnier/shorter).

Another way we can prevent front from rubbing at full lock is getting Front Control Arms. Just adjusting it right, not too aggressive that will eat tires fast. Just sipping on tire thread life and not opening the rubber buffet line.

Oh yea! the goal for this BBS Aftermarket wheel is just going really light if you compare OEM BBS.
Old 07-13-17, 03:36 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ba2sy
Thanks for the reference. As for me, I have 20x10 +35 with 265/30 PSS and 20x11 +40 with 295/30 PSS. My Front is fine on a straight and no dips but once I hit a dip then it rubs. I have the aircups so, I can raise it up at will. I think for the front to work well, I need the 20x9 +40 then, I can probably shove 265/30 as well or just keep 255/30 for the 20x9. My Rear 20x11 +40 is fine no rubbing but it all depends on the height of your coilovers too. You just have to play with the height of the coilovers and tire spec differences (fatter/taller and skinnier/shorter).

Another way we can prevent front from rubbing at full lock is getting Front Control Arms. Just adjusting it right, not too aggressive that will eat tires fast. Just sipping on tire thread life and not opening the rubber buffet line.

Oh yea! the goal for this BBS Aftermarket wheel is just going really light if you compare OEM BBS.
I'm not nearly as liberal as you when it comes to defining good fitment because I hate rubbing with a passion. If it rubs, it means it rubs. A binary thing for me. Yes or no.

A wheel that fits shouldn't rub even when lowered within reason (couple finger gap up front, zero finger gap rear defined as aggressive limit). I can make your 20x11s rub all day. As for the fronts, I think we're pretty close with my setup being ideal on 255/30s. If one wants to run 265/30s, I think a +38 would be pretty OK. A 255/30 on +40s will look super tucked in weird.
Old 07-13-17, 06:31 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Exclamation

...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...30-20-pss.html ...
Review: Post #26...

Last edited by 16GSF00336; 07-13-17 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 08:00 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Volk also offers the TE37 Ultra in an RCF specific fitment. Carbon wheels have always sketched me out a little due to whe carbon fails it's always catostrophic failure. I'm just a little gun shy I guess. Gorgeous wheels though!

Quick Reply: Forgeline Wheels - CF & Forged