RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Dealership put to much oil in my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-17, 04:37 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
I pulled the oil dipstick, and it was past the 2 dots , I though its suppose to be in the middle or at the top dot, but it was alot past it.
Thats sounds about right. But like what smoke said, I would double check it just in case. temperature makes huge difference.

When I check my oil when it is completely cold the level would be at around lower dot and when its hot (immediately after engine shut off) the level would be way past the 2nd dot.
Old 05-21-17, 04:51 PM
MJG87
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Thats sounds about right. But like what smoke said, I would double check it just in case. temperature makes huge difference.

When I check my oil when it is completely cold the level would be at around lower dot and when its hot (immediately after engine shut off) the level would be way past the 2nd dot.
There will be a correct oil checking procedure in the owners manual that should say where the oil should be and at what temps.
Old 05-21-17, 09:42 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

easy ripping on the dealer or any mechanic. It's a basic principal of psy. you don't rip on people. REMEMBER, when that something fails and you're under warranty, they're your friends. I always bring beer for my service manager of the dealer and the tech that worked on it. I also always get stuff not supposed to be warrantied, warrantied. I come from the auto business, am in a different portion(OEM level) but they are the first line against the OEM. He over filled this 10 quart big, you'll be fine.

I've said it before a while back, dealers at Lexus DON'T KNOW THIS CAR. they don't even understand Lexus calls for conventional from factory.

Also, I frequently get asked everyday, what kind of car is that? I'm thinking about doing a zebra camo wrap and just saying it's a lambo.
The following users liked this post:
shadow1118 (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 09:45 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

you might not know how many people rip on service people, like they're robots or something. very frustrating, we always went above and beyond for customers that showed empathy. You can merely go in there and say, I think my car has a bit too much oil since the engine was cold when they filled, could anyone possibly check it. Allowing room for them to place the blame on the engine. Allowing someone an exit rather than cornering them will get you very far in life. When people are told they are wrong, they will always defend themselves even when it is illogical.
shadow1118 (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 10:08 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by testmetest
I feel sorry for you, not in a smug-I'm-better-than-you sort of way, but in an, "I wish you could have enjoyed it as much as me sort of way." You redlined it less than a dozen times in 9 years? Whereas I enjoyed it's gripping, testosterone-raising, exhilarating, redlining, spine-bending, aural symphony every goddamn day since I bought it 9 years and freaking 100,000 mile ago, you have only floored it less than a dozen times? Enjoy it man! It's a Lexus! The reason the Lexus LFA kicks *** (among many reasons), is, it not only it has an absolutely amazing time around the Nurburgring, but Lexus designed it for absolute reliability. There is no need to pamper it because Ferrari will charge $10,000 for tire changes, or Porsche will charge $10,000 for brake pad changes. It's a Lexus. The reliability and maintenance cost is predictable (and reasonable).

Enjoy it! Don't pamper it!
Don't feel sorry for me, just because I choose not to bounce off the limiter, doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. I drive aggressively and know when to shift. If you have read any of my posts, you would see that I have FBOs and a slightly moded suspension with RCF wheels and wider tires. I luv my F and have no plans to get rid of it. As far as the symphony, I have a dual mod exhaust that I run open 99% of the time.

Lou
Old 05-22-17, 07:06 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I had OVERFILLED issues at my 10K service too. Took my RCF back to the Lexus dealership and showed them. They couldn't believe it, but it is what it is. OVERFILLED by more than an inch on the dipstick.

Originally Posted by ssmoked
dont over worry about it. I drove over 1000 miles before I caught it and warned erveyone.

Can never trust a dealership's work
Old 05-22-17, 03:34 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I had OVERFILLED issues at my 10K service too. Took my RCF back to the Lexus dealership and showed them. They couldn't believe it, but it is what it is. OVERFILLED by more than an inch on the dipstick.
I went today and told them really nicely the problem , they checked the dipstick then said it was "a little over the line" So i replied yes its over the line and I would like it at the optimal level, looked at me like I have serious OCD then my service representer or w/e said, "its ok well fix it for you no problem" and waited 2 1/2 hours and I asked to check the oil dipstick before I sign any papers and they showed me , and it was perfect and it was a good day lol.
Old 05-22-17, 04:02 PM
kizzzm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I got an oil change and they put to much oil in my car, i just got a second look and my moms boyfriend who works on cars alot, said they put to much oil in my car. How do i approach this at the dealership? Im gonna go first thing in the morning. Im upset about this., I went to a car show this morning and drove it pretty hard , hitting redline multiple times. My engines probably ok right? i think they only put a quart, max 2 over. i think 10 quarts. they added , ****ing retards. They also questioned me like 5 times if its an RC350 , couldnt even tell the difference. I don't want to go to the dealership and freak out but im so mad, btw im 23 years old. Inputs appreciated.
just curious why it was important to say you're 23? I am also curious on the average age of RC-F owners but that's probably for another forum post.
Old 05-22-17, 04:25 PM
MJG87
Driver

Whether or not the overfilling was a problem, it is great to see that the dealership was happy to accommodate you with your complaint. A bit of common courtesy and manners goes a long way towards getting people to help you. Glad you are happy with the outcome.
Old 05-22-17, 04:41 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I went today and told them really nicely the problem , they checked the dipstick then said it was "a little over the line" So i replied yes its over the line and I would like it at the optimal level, looked at me like I have serious OCD then my service representer or w/e said, "its ok well fix it for you no problem" and waited 2 1/2 hours and I asked to check the oil dipstick before I sign any papers and they showed me , and it was perfect and it was a good day lol.
Glad it's resolved. When you go in unscheduled or into the minor service line it can take awhile. 2.5 hrs for them to drain a little oil sounds crazy, but at my dealer it could be 4 hours-they are always slammed with all kinds of jobs (warranty, etc.). You can plan for this by going to their website and filling out an online service ticket. Most generally I also ask for a loaner vehicle too, on the online ticket, and my service writer already knows I'm coming and has a car ready. At my dealer customer service is top notch, actual car service, not so much. Find a service writer there you like and trust. Before I went in for service the first time, I bought some filters and bits from parts and asked the parts guy; Which service writers here are good, and who would you recommend? Having a good service writer really helps as he or she will be the one making sure things are right and/or resolved.
About oil levels, the difference between the bottom and top dot is 1 quart. You can use that metric to tell how much overfilled you were. Overfilling a little like some here say they do is ok, but you don't want to be any more than a half quart over really. If so, the level will be up into the crankshaft which will; as it turns whip oil into a frothy mess and over time can and will create varnish (burnt, stained oil onto surfaces) and worse sludge.
Old 05-22-17, 05:23 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by kizzzm
just curious why it was important to say you're 23? I am also curious on the average age of RC-F owners but that's probably for another forum post.
bc lets face it, at 23, a luxury dealer does not take you seriously with anything.

How long ago were you 23?
shadow1118 (05-22-17)
Old 05-22-17, 05:49 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

I'm 23 and they probably take me more serious than any customer there. I also always bring a treat and am very courteous and routinely have techs asking me questions. I think it is more of how you conduct yourself in person. A douchey 23 year old might not earn their attention if they feel you are not there on your own money.
Old 05-22-17, 06:55 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
I also always bring a treat
WHAA????!! Do you also hold the service advisers hands?
shadow1118 (05-22-17)
Old 05-22-17, 07:03 PM
MJG87
Driver

It pays to be mates with your mechanic. I ended up close personal friends with mine, beers and workshop nights practically every weekend, learned a tonne about cars and made some amazing friends.
Old 05-22-17, 08:04 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

LMAOOO BRO , they went out to lunch together too . Ssmoked you always make laugh man.
Originally Posted by danielTRLK
I'm 23 and they probably take me more serious than any customer there. I also always bring a treat and am very courteous and routinely have techs asking me questions. I think it is more of how you conduct yourself in person. A douchey 23 year old might not earn their attention if they feel you are not there on your own money.
right... im super respectful though, thats why the guy worked with me , im not like these other millennials.
Originally Posted by MJG87
It pays to be mates with your mechanic. I ended up close personal friends with mine, beers and workshop nights practically every weekend, learned a tonne about cars and made some amazing friends.
cool
Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
Glad it's resolved. When you go in unscheduled or into the minor service line it can take awhile. 2.5 hrs for them to drain a little oil sounds crazy, but at my dealer it could be 4 hours-they are always slammed with all kinds of jobs (warranty, etc.). You can plan for this by going to their website and filling out an online service ticket. Most generally I also ask for a loaner vehicle too, on the online ticket, and my service writer already knows I'm coming and has a car ready. At my dealer customer service is top notch, actual car service, not so much. Find a service writer there you like and trust. Before I went in for service the first time, I bought some filters and bits from parts and asked the parts guy; Which service writers here are good, and who would you recommend? Having a good service writer really helps as he or she will be the one making sure things are right and/or resolved.
About oil levels, the difference between the bottom and top dot is 1 quart. You can use that metric to tell how much overfilled you were. Overfilling a little like some here say they do is ok, but you don't want to be any more than a half quart over really. If so, the level will be up into the crankshaft which will; as it turns whip oil into a frothy mess and over time can and will create varnish (burnt, stained oil onto surfaces) and worse sludge.
So i drove pretty hard with it overfilled , you think it will be ok?? probably like 100 miles. I do have a warranty with them for like 6 more years, so i guess if a problem shows up Ill be good. I went al out with a warranty I always do. They told me it was a little overfilled so Im praying its fine and It doesnt shorten the life of my engine, cause im planning to go 200k miles with this car. thanks for the input

Quick Reply: Dealership put to much oil in my car