PPF and/or Modesta

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-17, 05:14 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts
Default PPF and/or Modesta

Several questions for this post.
For context: Ultra-white RCF and semi-broke cash-wise since I just bought a car and a house.

1. Xpel vs Suntek PPF?
I've heard some people mention Suntek for black and Xpel for everything else but wanted some verification.

2. For PPF I'm thinking full frontal coverage but not full-body.
Should that suffice?

3. If I were to do Modesta, how much would it negatively affect me if I were to wait and do it in a few months rather than immediately?

To do everything would hurt about $3.5k and I just don't want to bleed that much right now.
Old 03-14-17, 09:53 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Xpel tends to be pricey but it's one of the best I believe. Suntek was introduced to me as a good one for bright colors since it has a gloss effect to it. I'm not 100% sure on that since I got the Xpel. Go Full Front with Front Fenders ASAP at least or else you keep driving you'll get more rock chips depending on where you drive. If no rock chips at all, you won't have to paint correct. Then, you can also get the Both Lower Sides since those are close to the ground as well. I'm not familiar with Modesta.
Old 03-14-17, 04:17 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Depending on the impact of the rock, it will still chip or leave an indent on the car. I would just go with a ceramic coating and drive as far behind as the front car as possible. You are semi-broke save the money and just coat it for easier maintenance wash.
Old 03-14-17, 04:30 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Suntek will look alot better than Xpel. Xpel, just looks like crap.

Suntek actually has a new film out now, it's their top of the line PPF film called Suntek Ultra. Compared to the regular Suntek, the Ultra has a 10 yr. warranty and has a hydrophobic self cleaning coating built into the film.

So, if you get Suntek Ultra, you get a self healing film, it's already got the coating built into the material (so your guy would not even need to coat it afterwards with Modesta or any other coating since there is no sense in doing it, and the warranty rivals Xpel's 10yr. warranty.

The only downside to Ultra, is I noticed it's not as clear and smooth as normal Suntek, but still better looking than Xpel for sure. On a white car you won't notice the grain that much anyway. I have it on my IS-F and cant tell at all.

As far as the Modesta goes, there is no huge rush to put that on your paint RIGHT NOW. Just make sure you hand wash it yourself with clean water and soap and 2 buckets. Do not let the dealer touch the paint or any other car wash place. They will most likely just mess it up bad and then you'll pay out the *** for your detailer to correct the paint. Every reputable detailer is required to fully decontaminate the paint before coating goes on and before any polishing, so they shouldn't charge you anything extra if you decide to wait a year vs. doing it right now unless you bring them a car that is abnormally contaminated. As long as you can keep the swirls off between then and now, the price should be similar.
Old 03-14-17, 04:32 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

PPF, you do that ASAP. Do not wait. The coating on the other hand can wait until funds are available.

Edit: I am not seeing the Ultra PPF listed on Suntek's website yet. It's a new film. However, talk to your installer, they should definitely know about it and be able to get it. We've already done dozens of cars with it with amazing success.
Old 03-14-17, 04:36 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Get a new car prep, film, then coat with Modestal.
​​​

Last edited by Spam89; 03-14-17 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-14-17, 04:41 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spam89
Get a new car prep, film, then coat with Modesta. I would personally just Modesta. Coating it with Modesta will protect the vehicle from wash induced swirls or light scratches and make maintenence easier. Just because you apply suntek does not mean every single scratch you get will self heal.
​​​
This is incorrect my friend. Modesta is not a self healing coating, nor does it prevent any swirl marks. It's got a level of hardness to it which will minimize swirls, but you can say that about MANY of the coating products out there.

PPF (any brand) IS the ultimate way to protect the paint from chips, scratches, etc. A coating just makes washing easier and releases dirt, thus you're not scrubbing as much which leads to a smaller likelihood of swirling the paint.

Lexus paint is super soft, especially their darker colors. Put Modesta on a dark metallic Lexus or a black Lexus and tell me how it looks after a month. Even if you have the absolute best person wash it after coated, it will still inevitably swirl. PPF is a full on protection product that has a visible and tangible layer of protection. Do the self healing properties of PPF eventually degrade? Absolutely, but it still protects the paint underneath.
Old 03-14-17, 04:47 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
This is incorrect my friend. Modesta is not a self healing coating, nor does it prevent any swirl marks. It's got a level of hardness to it which will minimize swirls, but you can say that about MANY of the coating products out there.

PPF (any brand) IS the ultimate way to protect the paint from chips, scratches, etc. A coating just makes washing easier and releases dirt, thus you're not scrubbing as much which leads to a smaller likelihood of swirling the paint.

Lexus paint is super soft, especially their darker colors. Put Modesta on a dark metallic Lexus or a black Lexus and tell me how it looks after a month. Even if you have the absolute best person wash it after coated, it will still inevitably swirl. PPF is a full on protection product that has a visible and tangible layer of protection. Do the self healing properties of PPF eventually degrade? Absolutely, but it still protects the paint underneath.
Never said that the coating will be invincible to swirls and scratches. It will protect the clear from swirls and scratches and make maintenence easier. No coating willl protect against rock chips. It will help, but most rock damages are off limits. Also, all films are not invincible. You will stl get rock chips and indents depending on stregth of impact. The op said he was semi broke and if I was the op, I would probably choose modesta, then a ppf based on how I drive ( I drive with a distance and my black 2009 is350 had 0 rock chips ). Of course ppf is better protectant but trust me, I work on a lot of vehicles with ppf installed. When I remove them, I still see tons of indents and chips on the bumper.
Old 03-14-17, 05:03 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Compare a 3 year old vehicle that was actually driven with ppf installed vs. A vehicle with no ppf. Which one has more damage? I am sorry but coatings don't help even an ounce against road rash, pitting, chips. Ppf while not bulletproof, will protect against 95% of the typical small chips you will encounter on the highway. Yes there will always be that big chip that strikes through the film but I'll take that all day any day vs just a costed car. Been doing this full time for over 4 years, work on the most expensive cars in the area. Authorized CQ Finest and OC installer. We remove ppf all the time and probably do at least a few dozen full front cars a month, including many full body ppf wraps as well which, and you can't argue this, IS the best way to do it if money is no object.
Old 03-14-17, 05:16 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Compare a 3 year old vehicle that was actually driven with ppf installed vs. A vehicle with no ppf. Which one has more damage? I am sorry but coatings don't help even an ounce against road rash, pitting, chips. Ppf while not bulletproof, will protect against 95% of the typical small chips you will encounter on the highway. Yes there will always be that big chip that strikes through the film but I'll take that all day any day vs just a costed car. Been doing this full time for over 4 years, work on the most expensive cars in the area. Authorized CQ Finest and OC installer. We remove ppf all the time and probably do at least a few dozen full front cars a month, including many full body ppf wraps as well which, and you can't argue this, IS the best way to do it if money is no object.
There is no doubt ppf is the best protection for a vehicle. Also, coatings are not supposed to protect the clear from any of the damages you mention. They are applied to reduce swirls, scratches, and make maintenance easier (protection and reflection). We both agree that a ppf will be the best protection for the vehicle. For the opt, he is semi-broke and for the money, I would not get ppf and just paint correct it and coat it. I have been detailing for 10+ years and been detailing high-end cars like you with films. The best protection out there is to drive from a distance. Like I said before, removing ppf from a vehicle and still I witness the bumper being indented or chipped (dozens of them). All rock chips are not avoidable, but like you said ppf is the best. However for the opt, I am just stating if I was in his shoes, I would get a coating. I have driven my black Lexus for 9 years with 0 rock chips. I do not even have a coating, nor do I have a ppf installed. The best way to protect your vehicle from rocks is the way you drive. If the opt was tracking his car, PPF is and should be a must.
Old 03-14-17, 05:28 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

I feel like this should be referenced:

My quote for PPF full frontal was about $1500.
My quote for Modesta (Paint Coating) full body (not sure about wheels at the moment) is minimum $1950 with potential to increase based on vehicle's condition.
Old 03-14-17, 07:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spam89
There is no doubt ppf is the best protection for a vehicle. Also, coatings are not supposed to protect the clear from any of the damages you mention. They are applied to reduce swirls, scratches, and make maintenance easier (protection and reflection). We both agree that a ppf will be the best protection for the vehicle. For the opt, he is semi-broke and for the money, I would not get ppf and just paint correct it and coat it. I have been detailing for 10+ years and been detailing high-end cars like you with films. The best protection out there is to drive from a distance. Like I said before, removing ppf from a vehicle and still I witness the bumper being indented or chipped (dozens of them). All rock chips are not avoidable, but like you said ppf is the best. However for the opt, I am just stating if I was in his shoes, I would get a coating. I have driven my black Lexus for 9 years with 0 rock chips. I do not even have a coating, nor do I have a ppf installed. The best way to protect your vehicle from rocks is the way you drive. If the opt was tracking his car, PPF is and should be a must.
I am sorry but that is complete and utter BS... Seriously discredited anything you said with that statement alone.

PM me your shop's name, curious to know more details about your work.

Last edited by 97-SC300; 03-14-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-14-17, 07:14 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterEun
I feel like this should be referenced:

My quote for PPF full frontal was about $1500.
My quote for Modesta (Paint Coating) full body (not sure about wheels at the moment) is minimum $1950 with potential to increase based on vehicle's condition.
That modesta quote is ridiculous !!
IMO many many superior or equal coating out there for less.
I would wrap front with film way before getting a coating. Atlanta roads are terrible with gravel from constant highway construction/widening.
Your 2017 has prestine paint now & you should try hard to keep it that way vs having to paint correct later.
Call my guy david. My $0.02

Ming
Old 03-14-17, 07:15 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

You are stating compete utter and bs, along with discrediting what I have said before because I have no rock chips on my front bumper? Just because I can take care of my car better than you does not mean you should try and start an argument. You have twisted my words around to make your arguments in favor but I still respect your opinions. We both know that PPF offers more protection, so what is your problem? I hope you also know that you will still get indents, chips, and pitting with PPF. Here is a picture of my front bumper. You be the judge.

For the opt, get the front ppf done and just ceramic coat yourself. Save you tons of money. The detail shop will paint correct your car before filming hopefully. If you do get the film done, make sure to coat it in the future. I would skip Modesta for that price and go with another ceramic coating.
Old 03-14-17, 07:19 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mingofish
That modesta quote is ridiculous !!
IMO many many superior or equal coating out there for less.
I would wrap front with film way before getting a coating. Atlanta roads are terrible with gravel from constant highway construction/widening.
Your 2017 has prestine paint now & you should try hard to keep it that way vs having to paint correct later.
Call my guy david. My $0.02

Ming
Haha yeah the quotes pretty high for that one.
Modesta BC-04 instead of the usual 08 is probably partially the reason.
Definitely trying to schedule PPF full frontal wrap asap but like I mentioned before I'm leaving country for about 3 weeks end of this month.
If my guy doesn't respond in the next couple of days I'll definitely call David!
Thanks Ming!

Quick Reply: PPF and/or Modesta