RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Surprisingly good mpg driving like a civil citizen

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-17, 08:33 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

On a trip last summer from LA to Vegas, I got 24.9 MPG both directions going 80+ with AC on the entire time.
Old 03-06-17, 10:17 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

There is a significant difference in MPG between ECO and Sport+ mode, I did some research and testing on it last year. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...m-testing.html

So I 've spent the last few months testing the various modes of the RCF and recording their respective MPG results. For the record my car is complete stock, I live South Los Angeles County (near Long Beach), and work in East Los Angeles County (near Pomona).

the test:
56 mile round trip commute to work/home. 33 miles to work, 23 home.
I have to take my daughter to school in the morning, she attends a G.A.T.E. Academy School 10 miles southeast of our home and work is 23 miles northeast of our home, this makes the drive to work a bit different than the drive home, but it does help in making ideal conditions for a mixed high/city test.

To work: 10 miles highway >65mph, 16 miles surface street avg. 42 mph (35-45mph zones, 17 signals, avg. wait at signal 1:15, 7 miles back roads >55mph 6% uphill grade for 1.2 miles, 3% downhill grade for 3.5 miles, flat 2.3 miles.
Return home, 2.7 miles surface street to and from highway, average speed 24 mph 4 signals, 3 stop signs. avg. wait 0:52, 20.3 miles highway, avg. speed in rush hour 38mph.

each mode was run for 1 month (20 work days) the car was not used for any other purpose but back and forth to work. That mode was used exclusively for the entire duration of the test. The calculations were made manually by figuring the total miles / total fuel. for that given cycle, the on board MPG computer was also reset for each test and matched my manual calculations with a very small margin of error. Each fill was approx. 14.5 gallons of fuel, vehicle usually filled within a 1-2 miles of the low fuel light activating.

ECO mode Avg. MPG
Vehicle Computer reports 24.2
Manual Calculation reports. 23.9
Avg. miles on 14.5 gallons 345 - 350
3 fill ups.

Normal mode Avg. MPG
Vehicle Computer reports 20.4
Manual Calculation reports. 19.9
Avg. miles on 14.5 gallons 280 - 290
4 fill ups

Sport mode Avg. MPG
Vehicle Computer reports 18.4
Manual Calculation reports. 17.9
Avg. miles on 14.5 gallons 250 - 260
4 fill ups

Sport+ mode Avg. MPG
Vehicle Computer reports 16.1
Manual Calculation reports. 15.8
Avg. miles on 14.5 gallons 220 - 230
5 fill ups

There is an 8 mpg drop between ECO and Sport+ mode.

in ECO the car shoves itself into 8th gear as quickly as possible and holds that gear as long as possible, I watched it hang in 8th coasting from 65mph down to 37mph, additionally it keeps the car in Atkinson cycle as long as possible, basically anytime the car is not under load. in Sport+ it holds each gear at higher RPMs for longer, and I only saw it go past 6th gear once with I was cruising above 90mph.

I also found it interesting that the on board computer seems to report 1/2 mpg more than manual calculations consistently.

While most people don't care because really who buys a car like the RCF for mpg? the fact is that for daily commuting, there is a 100 mile per tank difference between ECO and Sport+ which for me is 2 more round trips to work, or 2 more days between fills, also consider the difference of 2 additional fill ups riding around in sport plus mode over the same time frame, that's an additional $90-$100 in fuel that month.

Your results may vary based on the fuel and terrain where you live, CA fuel is crap, and the roads are as well.
Old 03-06-17, 01:20 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
There is a significant difference in MPG between ECO and Sport+ mode, I did some research and testing on it last year. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...m-testing.html
Only during acceleration. While cruising on the highway the only factor is the gear you are cruising in. I can get the same MPG in Sport S and ECO while cruising on the highway. Sport S+ cruises one gear lower than the rest so it will suffer. Unless you are using manual mode...
Old 03-06-17, 02:55 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Davew77
Only during acceleration. While cruising on the highway the only factor is the gear you are cruising in. I can get the same MPG in Sport S and ECO while cruising on the highway. Sport S+ cruises one gear lower than the rest so it will suffer. Unless you are using manual mode...
my tests were stop and go traffic mixed city driving, i.e. a daily driver.
Old 03-06-17, 03:11 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mjeds
my tests were stop and go traffic mixed city driving, i.e. a daily driver.
I appreciate the time that you took to test and post your results. I was merely adding some missing information.

Some people believe that the Atkinson Cycle only works in Normal or Eco modes and that it's linked to the Eco light. If that were the case then the MPG would change in Sports S mode (while cruising). I don't get the Eco light in Sports S mode like I do in Normal or Eco, but I get the exact same MPG while cruising.
Old 03-06-17, 03:30 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

I appreciate the time that you took to test and post your results. I was merely adding some missing information.

Some people believe that the Atkinson Cycle only works in Normal or Eco modes and that it's linked to the Eco light. If that were the case then the MPG would change in Sports S mode (while cruising). I don't get the Eco light in Sports S mode like I do in Normal or Eco, but I get the exact same MPG while cruising.
according to Lexus Engineers; the Atkinson Cycle kicks in anytime the computer senses there is no load on the motor, and Otto Cycle kicks in when there is, doesn't matter which driving mode or gear the vehicle is in. Atkinson Cycle can happen at any speed, any gear, any mode. you can be crawling along in traffic at idle and it will be in Atkinson Cycle until you accelerate.

Far as I know ECO mode in of itself just curbs the throttle response and manipulates the HVAC system to emphasize fuel efficiency, Normal with the "ECO" light simply indicates that you’re driving in an economic (or eco-friendly) manner, the system considers factors such as accelerator use, engine & transmission efficiency, speed, HVAC load requirements, and rate of acceleration when making this determination.

There is a noticeable difference in the throttle response between ECO mode and Normal mode, and there is a significant lag in down shifting when you are in ECO and attempt to accelerate to pass at 55+ mph. ECO mode will hold the Atkinson Cycle longer and it will shove the car into a higher gear faster, typically in ECO I see my car in 8th by 37mph, where in normal it will be 44mph before it gets there.

Sport and Sport+ hold the gears longer, shifting at higher RPMs, even with light to medium acceleration, holding 7th in Sport until around 60mph and 80mph in Sport+ (provided you are not WOT, but lightly accelerating).

IMO the major increase in MPG for the RCF is the 8 speed transmission coupled with the computer management of the HVAC system.
Old 03-08-17, 08:30 AM
tarponman
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running 265/285 tires. Lighter rims FTW.

I think I had a breeze behind me too, haha.

Wow. I never get more than 12 or 13 MPG in city or 20-22 highway. My range never goes above 190 miles after I fill up! and I fill up 6-7 times a month. anyone else with those results??? Either I drive like an **** , you guys drive like grandmas or there is something wrong with the car..lol
Old 03-08-17, 08:48 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm going to be driving my brand new 2017 RCF home on a 400 mile trip from the dealership this Saturday(3/11).
If you have any tests you want me to run on my way, give me a heads up.
More than happy to oblige for the CL fam.
Old 03-08-17, 01:47 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tarponman
Wow. I never get more than 12 or 13 MPG in city or 20-22 highway. My range never goes above 190 miles after I fill up! and I fill up 6-7 times a month. anyone else with those results??? Either I drive like an **** , you guys drive like grandmas or there is something wrong with the car..lol
That's a best case scenario for me with the cruise set at 80 mph. My average is somewhere around 18. I do a lot of highway miles or else I'm sure my average would be much lower. I use cruise control on the highway, usually. I fill up twice per week.
Old 03-08-17, 03:26 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MisterEun
I'm going to be driving my brand new 2017 RCF home on a 400 mile trip from the dealership this Saturday(3/11).
Could you drive 100M in ECO, 100M in Normal, 100M in Sport and 100M in Sport+
Old 03-08-17, 03:49 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs400998
Could you drive 100M in ECO, 100M in Normal, 100M in Sport and 100M in Sport+
And track just mileage?

Also, keep in mind, the majority of it should be highway, but during the local road times it might corrupt whatever data you wanted me to record.
The following users liked this post:
gs400998 (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 04:24 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

The highway difference between the modes will be minimal to none. The only exception will be Sports S+ mode since it will cruise in 7th gear instead of 8th. The modes only affect acceleration, not cruising MPG. I know first hand... I put 3k miles per month on my car and 90% of those miles are highway. I also frequently travel 700 miles between my home in Tampa and here in NC. I just took a trip to Tampa a month ago and I will be doing it again in 3 more weeks.
Old 03-08-17, 04:30 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

The highway difference between the modes will be minimal to none. The only exception will be Sports S+ mode since it will cruise in 7th gear instead of 8th. The modes only affect acceleration, not cruising MPG. I know first hand... I put 3k miles per month on my car and 90% of those miles are highway. I also frequently travel 700 miles between my home in Tampa and here in NC. I just took a trip to Tampa a month ago and I will be doing it again in 3 more weeks.
I wouldn't be surprised in minimal difference between all modes.
However, with the car being a different model year as well as brand new and not broken in yet, I'd be interested in seeing potential differences if any exist.
I only asked since it's not often we can conduct any test on something brand new with 1 digit on its odometer.

Also if you're coming from Tampa and it's not too outta your way, stop by ATL and say hi!
Old 03-08-17, 05:21 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't be surprised in minimal difference between all modes.
However, with the car being a different model year as well as brand new and not broken in yet, I'd be interested in seeing potential differences if any exist.
I only asked since it's not often we can conduct any test on something brand new with 1 digit on its odometer.

Also if you're coming from Tampa and it's not too outta your way, stop by ATL and say hi!
I noticed a drastic increase in my total MPG after 5,000 miles or so. I was averaging 16mpg during that first 5K, by 7K it had jumped to 19mpg. after the ECU flash for the fuel pump issue it climbed to 23mph and has stayed there.
Old 03-09-17, 04:06 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 174 Likes on 95 Posts

If I were you, I wouldn't cruise those 400 miles. If you're picking the car up new then I'd fluctuate my driving speeds due to engine break in. Just getting on the highway and cruising isn't really recommended. Gratz on your new car, you're going to love it!

Quick Reply: Surprisingly good mpg driving like a civil citizen