RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Real or Synthetic Oil....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 10:24 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Right, in every thing in our lives, the problem is lack of knowledge. In my working days I drove company car for almost 40 years. I got new car every 3 years. One guy never changed oil for that 3 year period, just kept topping up oil. When they did OFL on that car, you'd know what happened. It was a wreck....Well you are in the field then, an expert.
Old 03-02-17, 10:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I have been driving for almost 70 years.
^^^^WOW!!!! I have been driving for a bit over 60 years, thought I was the oldest guy here I probably change my oil too often and I use Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. I have been crawling under my cars and trucks and changing my own oil for more than 50 years now. I've never also never had an oil related problem

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 07-08-17 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 12:17 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^WOW!!!! I have been driving for a bit over 60 years, thought I was the oldest guy here I probably change my oil too often and I use Pennzoil Platinum Plus. I have been crawling under my cars and trucks and changing my own oil for more than 50 years now. I've never also never had an oil related problem

Lou
Good for you Lou. You are in AZ? Phx? I worked for Honeywell for most of my career. Been down to Camelback, Thunderbird plants many, many times. At times for months for new product training. I quit crawling under after I had kidney transplant in 1996. I was born with defective kidney and that was the cause. Still do seasonal
tire/rim switch myself for all family vehicles, LOL!
Old 03-02-17, 12:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

^^^^I'm South of Phoenix, North of Tucson. No need for seasonal tire changes here, though I do have a set of chains for my truck. Needed for high altitudes in winter. Didn't use 'em this year, but I used them once last year.

I spent 40 years of my working career at Raytheon. Started in Massachusetts and moved about the country, ending up in Tucson. Spent 23 years in Santa Barbara - Should NEVER have left

Lots of folks from Alberta spend their winters here - Snowbirds!

Lou
Old 03-02-17, 01:23 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

well if anyone wants cheap synthetic, Mobil 1 is running a rebate

https://slickdeals.net/f/9823999-5-q...src=SiteSearch
Old 03-03-17, 11:42 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I will change my oil in my RCF every 5 to 6 K miles with a new oil filter.

If you want to do at 10K miles, no one is stopping you.

Do it at your own risk.

The money so perceived as saved by doing 10K intervals will bite you in the end. The car just drives smoother with a fresh oil change.

Originally Posted by Htony
Overdoing is wasting. Synthetic is superior to conventional oil. Unless one is racing , driving like maniac, driving under extreme conditions 10K change interval is good,
Also speaking of filter, have ever cut up the used filter? Most of them looks very clean. Now all cars are using unleaded fuels.
Old 03-03-17, 02:30 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Question: What if you just don't drive that much, say 5,000 mills per year? Is once a year on the oil change ok in this case? Even though it's only 5,000 miles, I certainly wouldn't want to wait any longer than this to change it.
Old 03-04-17, 05:40 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
Question: What if you just don't drive that much, say 5,000 mills per year? Is once a year on the oil change ok in this case? Even though it's only 5,000 miles, I certainly wouldn't want to wait any longer than this to change it.
The additives in the oil break down over time. Which is why it is recommended to change it every 3-6 months regardless of mileage. Personally, I don't go more than 4 months with any type of oil. But I usually hit the mileage cap long before the time expires.
Old 03-04-17, 06:01 PM
cosmo1
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Motul all the way!!!! True ester base synthetic oil....
Old 03-05-17, 06:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
The additives in the oil break down over time. Which is why it is recommended to change it every 3-6 months regardless of mileage. Personally, I don't go more than 4 months with any type of oil. But I usually hit the mileage cap long before the time expires.
What evidence do you have to support this premise? I've never seen oil breaking down purely by time to be the case for a modern oil.
Old 03-05-17, 06:51 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What evidence do you have to support this premise? I've never seen oil breaking down purely by time to be the case for a modern oil.
Such low mileage driving increases moisture in the crankcase due to condensation. Water reacts with additives(chemical) causing acid. So that is why. That is why higher mileage vehicle always driven on highway has better engine condition than extremely low mileage cars(such as ol' lady only drove it to church on Sundays). Ever tasted with your tongue, fresh oil vs. used oil?
Old 03-05-17, 07:21 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I use Mobil 1 and one of my cars was use more or less as weekend fun car drove mostly highway and I wanted to try going the last interval based on miles and not based on time. I went 8120 miles in 4 years and 2 months and did a Blackstone LAB analysis.. This is what it says.. Read for yourself.. Anyone who believes oils go bad in a few months like marketing lies to sell oil or get you to service car more frequent.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
10-16GS430.pdf (54.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 03-05-17, 07:29 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I use Mobil 1 and one of my cars was use more or less as weekend fun car drove mostly highway and I wanted to try going the last interval based on miles and not based on time. I went 8120 miles in 4 years and 2 months and did a Blackstone LAB analysis.. This is what it says.. Read for yourself.. Anyone who believes oils go bad in a few months like marketing lies to sell oil or get you to service car more frequent.
Ok, now I really have to respond because you sir are spreading lies now on this forum. Oil oxidizes inside the crankcase over time. You should change your oil once a year. Blackstone does not tell you how oxidized your oil is because they can't. They don't have the machine to tell you, they do not have FTIR. Call them and ask them for the Active AW left in the oil, and how much oxidation is left. Their analysis is leaving you blind, there is no TAN, KF, GC, or any FTIR work.
The following 2 users liked this post by danielTRLK:
BossMoss (06-11-17), phm14 (10-16-18)
Old 03-05-17, 07:30 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

mobil 1 synthetic was invented in early 70's. it was shown to last forever and over 150k miles. engines have been run dry with mobil 1 synthetic and made it over 100k miles. oil is big business....change it every 3k miles
Old 03-05-17, 07:36 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Torii
mobil 1 synthetic was invented in early 70's. it was shown to last forever and over 150k miles. engines have been run dry with mobil 1 synthetic and made it over 100k miles. oil is big business....change it every 3k miles
so confused........

Quick Reply: Real or Synthetic Oil....