Real or Synthetic Oil....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 04:42 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
He is Gunny not Ginny.

So you are saying Mobil one is good if you don't care about longevity. I am not sure I follow this. What are you saying.

Plus one oil is the best but another is better?
I'm pretty sure Daniel was just using the rankings of "Good, Better, Best" similar to the way Tire Rack and Discount Tire rank their tires. "Good" is the good, but is the lowest tier, "Better" is the second tier (better than "Good"), and "Best" is the third tier (better than "Better")
Old 11-16-18, 04:47 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

And "Ginny" was the wife of the NY Crime Boss - John Sacramoni, in the Sopranos.
"Gunny" is derived from the Marine Corps Rank - Gunnery Sergeant (E-7), which I was when I started Racing Ducati;s. Thx CAHWY128
Old 11-16-18, 09:55 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DekNgo
With Lance recommending regular Mobil 1 and Daniel recommending Mobil 1 EP, would it be beneficial to mix the two (both in 5W-30) 50/50? Or would it actually perform worse than each of them used by itself?
I do not understand why anyone would mix these two oils and their respective add packs together. Why dumb down Mobil 1 EP with regular Mobil 1 which is a lower grade oil in comparison?
Old 11-16-18, 06:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Wronglane
I do not understand why anyone would mix these two oils and their respective add packs together. Why dumb down Mobil 1 EP with regular Mobil 1 which is a lower grade oil in comparison?
I would not mix them because the load capacity of Mobil 1 EP is much lower than standard Mobil 1 according to 540 RAT's testing and my iron numbers with EP were much higher than with standard Mobil 1.
Old 11-17-18, 05:17 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I would not mix them because the load capacity of Mobil 1 EP is much lower than standard Mobil 1 according to 540 RAT's testing and my iron numbers with EP were much higher than with standard Mobil 1.
So in your opinion, the lower load capacity of Mobil 1 EP would degrade standard Mobil 1's strength (load capacity) and would out weigh any benefits of the EP additives?
Old 11-19-18, 10:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

So in your opinion, the lower load capacity of Mobil 1 EP would degrade standard Mobil 1's strength (load capacity) and would out weigh any benefits of the EP additives?
Yes. Run one or the other, but mixing them isn't worth it.
Old 11-20-18, 05:34 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes. Run one or the other, but mixing them isn't worth it.
Thanks Lance.

After reading the 540 RAT blog, I may end up going with Amsoil Signature.
Old 11-29-18, 05:07 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

So I had my 1st Service done yesterday. It felt so cool pulling into the Service Bay and having every Rep there come out to see the car! My Service Writer stated they have never seen a USB/Circuit Red Color Combo RCF there before. (They wouldn't DX one of their White ones for the USB that was in Brooklyn, NY) So I get the cold shoulder from Sales now.
Anyway, back to my 1st Service - I stood there and listened to him tell me that they use regular "Conventional" Oil in the F, and that use of Synthetic is NOT appropriate. (Insert raised eyebrows) When he started telling me that it involves conventional oil being better for "Break In" periods, and that it aids the pistons and internal parts - I totally zoned out........

Anyone here get this same line before??

**I'll be using my Amsoil "Preferred Member" status to bring the Signature Series at next interval. (Anyone interested, PM me)
Old 11-29-18, 12:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
So I had my 1st Service done yesterday. It felt so cool pulling into the Service Bay and having every Rep there come out to see the car! My Service Writer stated they have never seen a USB/Circuit Red Color Combo RCF there before. (They wouldn't DX one of their White ones for the USB that was in Brooklyn, NY) So I get the cold shoulder from Sales now.
Anyway, back to my 1st Service - I stood there and listened to him tell me that they use regular "Conventional" Oil in the F, and that use of Synthetic is NOT appropriate. (Insert raised eyebrows) When he started telling me that it involves conventional oil being better for "Break In" periods, and that it aids the pistons and internal parts - I totally zoned out........

**I'll be using my Amsoil "Preferred Member" status to bring the Signature Series at next interval. (Anyone interested, PM me)
Yeah, it's total BS.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
bob67 (12-01-18), GunnyFitz (11-30-18)
Old 11-30-18, 05:57 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

So was this a free service since it was your first? Did you just let them use conventional this time?
Old 11-30-18, 08:26 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Cool Correct

So was this a free service since it was your first? Did you just let them use conventional this time?
Yes sir. The 5000k Mile Service which is covered by Lexus. The debate over the 10k Mile Service still remains and goes back and forth here.
As stated, when it goes in (Probably not to them if uncovered) my RCF will begin to gobble on Amsoil for the remainder of its life. (Note: I do not refer to any of my Vehicles as a female. And certainly not male either) Guess I never took this trait on.
Old 12-01-18, 06:06 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Yes sir. The 5000k Mile Service which is covered by Lexus. The debate over the 10k Mile Service still remains and goes back and forth here.
As stated, when it goes in (Probably not to them if uncovered) my RCF will begin to gobble on Amsoil for the remainder of its life. (Note: I do not refer to any of my Vehicles as a female. And certainly not male either) Guess I never took this trait on.
I just realized "NOVA" listed as your location in the signature panel means northern Virginia - when I first saw it I was thinking Nova Scotia... That was the reason I asked if your first service was free - I wasn't sure if Canadian dealers followed the same practice as US dealers....
Old 12-01-18, 07:29 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Amsoil is good but why not use bio syn. Tested to last
Old 12-02-18, 09:28 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

I just realized "NOVA" listed as your location in the signature panel means northern Virginia - when I first saw it I was thinking Nova Scotia... That was the reason I asked if your first service was free - I wasn't sure if Canadian dealers followed the same practice as US dealers....
Yes sir. Not the first time someone's said same thing. I guess those who live up around the Metro DC area know the term. It was technically my First Service of Two (2) Free ones, but I read that many dont get their 10k mile one Free. Puzzles me but at this point, w all the money Ive put into this car - Ill pay for the Labor, but will definitely use my Signature Series Amsoil, which has also has data proving its worth. Thanks Spam!
Old 12-02-18, 09:43 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Interesting that not all Lexus dealerships do not use synthetic oil like my dealership. So my guess is dealerships use oil whatever they want to, as long as it is within Lexus recommended specifications. I have 3 more free oil changes, and will have them performed within the 5000 mile/6 month period, then after that, will change my own oil, using Amsoil every year or 10,000 miles. Question... If waiting over 5000 miles to perform oil changes, will this screw up my extended warranty, since Lexus states oil changes should be performed at 5,000 mile intervals?

Quick Reply: Real or Synthetic Oil....