RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

467hp, lots of rain, & slick roads equals almost a major oops.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17, 07:01 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2112
My factory tires were at 9500 miles before I stored for winter and the last week or two I had the car out I could feel how bad they had gotten round even some dry corners. Definitely be careful and I would replace well before the 10k limit on them
I am using Pirellis on the rear which have even less grip than the Michelins. Waiting until they are worn out so I can put back on my other set of Michelins.
Old 01-25-17, 12:45 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

My factory tires were at 9500 miles before I stored for winter and the last week or two I had the car out I could feel how bad they had gotten round even some dry corners. Definitely be careful and I would replace well before the 10k limit on them
10K limit, where did you come up with that?

The Michelin Pilots on the Lexus RCF have a 30K Mile Tread life.
Old 01-25-17, 01:47 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds

lmao right?
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (01-28-17)
Old 01-25-17, 06:13 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Reasonably sure dealer told me but I'll double check.
Old 01-25-17, 06:47 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon
You guys are a brave lot. Very early on, I remember posts saying how terrible the factory tires are on wet surfaces. Not a big deal with me since I don't drive the RC F when there's any moisture on the roads.
^^^^THIS! I don't drive mine either when it even LOOKS like Rain. Glad you & the RCF made the proper adjustments though MJ
mjeds (01-25-17)
Old 01-25-17, 06:51 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I commute through L.A... people can't drive no matter what the weather.. The rain just enhances their inability to function.
Just MAKE SURE that Bruce "Caitlyn" Jenner isn't anywhere around! Mater of fact, wasn't that Lady he/she killed driving a Lexus?
Old 01-25-17, 08:15 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Just MAKE SURE that Bruce "Caitlyn" Jenner isn't anywhere around! Mater of fact, wasn't that Lady he/she killed driving a Lexus?
ugh.. yeah I believe so..

Thank fully I don't live near Malibu / Pacific Palisades where that occurred. That's 45 miles from me.
Old 01-26-17, 06:57 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Reasonably sure dealer told me but I'll double check.
The RC Fs being sold at my dealership had a warning sticker stating that the Michelin PSS would need to be swapped out at 15k miles. It really depends on how you drive but I didn't buy the car to drive like a slug

I assume you could probably get 30k if you drove lighly...I think my pirellis had the same or similar wear rating but my tread on them is still good at 10k miles.
Old 01-26-17, 07:41 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, I got a CT200h too. Can't spin out or difficult to do on the CT200h. Stop and go traffic in Los Angeles is where the CT200h shines.

Originally Posted by shadow1118
thats my dream DD/weekend car set up.
Old 01-26-17, 10:31 AM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I had to drive on ice a couple of weeks ago. I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires 265/285. I used the snow button. I lost traction a few times. But I grew up driving sports cars in the north in snow/ice and I didn't have traction control. I was lucky to have ABS. The RCF handles better than they ever could, even with traction control turned off.

I'm happy that you didn't kill your car. But don't rely on the electronics to compensate for your overzealous driving. As you have discovered they are not foolproof.
Old 01-26-17, 11:54 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Davew77
I had to drive on ice a couple of weeks ago. I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires 265/285. I used the snow button. I lost traction a few times. But I grew up driving sports cars in the north in snow/ice and I didn't have traction control. I was lucky to have ABS. The RCF handles better than they ever could, even with traction control turned off.

I'm happy that you didn't kill your car. But don't rely on the electronics to compensate for your overzealous driving. As you have discovered they are not foolproof.
as stated I don't rely on them, and my driving wasn't overzealous. I was doing 30mph and accelerated to 65-70 in the rain, the back tires broke traction and I fish tailed. Rain + Slick roads, what surprised me, as I stated is that in ECO mode at 35 mph in 8th gear the rear tired broke traction and the traction system took a long time (maybe only 3-4 seconds, but still a long time) to respond that is what was surprising to me.
Old 01-26-17, 01:06 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

as stated I don't rely on them, and my driving wasn't overzealous. I was doing 30mph and accelerated to 65-70 in the rain, the back tires broke traction and I fish tailed. Rain + Slick roads, what surprised me, as I stated is that in ECO mode at 35 mph in 8th gear the rear tired broke traction and the traction system took a long time (maybe only 3-4 seconds, but still a long time) to respond that is what was surprising to me.
That is surprising to me. I can only assume that the road had something on it (oil/gravel) or your tires are worn or they aren't PSS. I have floored the car in 2nd gear in the rain and not broke traction. I drive in expert mode because I like to have full control, except in the snow/ice.
Old 01-26-17, 01:49 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Davew77
That is surprising to me. I can only assume that the road had something on it (oil/gravel) or your tires are worn or they aren't PSS. I have floored the car in 2nd gear in the rain and not broke traction. I drive in expert mode because I like to have full control, except in the snow/ice.
well I'm guessing that I probably hit the painted stripe at the same time I accelerated, only thing I can think of,

I drive in all modes depending on what road I am on and what traffic conditions are like. in stop and go traffic ECO mode is the best IMO, I pull 330 miles out of the tank which is about 22mpg average.

My commute actually consists of a variety of situations, including a 6 mile paved 2 lane "back road" with no signals and lots of twistiness and a 65mph limit. I use Sport+ in manual for that, but once on the highway unless it is moving at a normal 65mph pace I got into ECO mode. if by chance there is little or no traffic (all dependent on what time I leave work) then I will put it into Normal or Sport mode so that it kicks up into 8th gear for the best MPG.

but for city driving and stop and go highway rush hour I leave it in ECO. I've run some tests, even posted them here about the difference in MPG between the modes. I can squeeze 100 more miles out of a tank doing it the way I do, for me that is 3 more round trips to work, and ~$15 worth of gas.. since the RCF is my daily driver every little bit helps.

I've often wondered though as often as I do switch modes if it will decrease the overall life of the car. on my typical 35 mile commute I switch between the 4 modes and manual/auto as I said, depending on the road/traffic.
BossMoss (01-28-17)
Old 01-26-17, 02:55 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

well I'm guessing that I probably hit the painted stripe at the same time I accelerated, only thing I can think of,
That can certainly do it too. It's very common for motorcycles to get dropped because they tried to stop on a painted surface. I avoided paint like the plague on my bikes. The worst surfaces are them large turn arrows they paint on the road.

Every inch of the tire that is on the wet paint will reduce the grip by that much. With half of the tire tread, or more, sitting on wet paint I could see it breaking traction very easily.
mjeds (01-26-17)
Old 01-26-17, 07:13 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Yes, I got a CT200h too. Can't spin out or difficult to do on the CT200h. Stop and go traffic in Los Angeles is where the CT200h shines.
i bought the ct200h>rc200t>rc , i just was never happy with the power until the rcf .

Quick Reply: 467hp, lots of rain, & slick roads equals almost a major oops.