RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

467hp, lots of rain, & slick roads equals almost a major oops.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 11:32 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default 467hp, lots of rain, & slick roads equals almost a major oops.

stuck in stop and go traffic this morning on my way to work, getting a bit frustrated taking over 2 hours to go 21 miles.

finally I saw a opening to my exit, I goosed it a bit too hard and fish tailed pretty bad.. luckily there was a wide shoulder that allowed me to right the car, otherwise it would have been really ugly.

funny, traction control seemed to have fallen asleep because I was in ECO mode when this happened, and it took the car about 50-60 feet to react and right itself.. I would have expected the traction control, especially in ECO mode to not have allowed the tire spin in the first place, next time I know better.

Luckily this driver has spent his whole life in high HP RWD cars without traction control and knew how to turn into the slide and right the car, had I completely relied on the damn computer I would have kissed the wall or the car next to me that I was trying to pass and whom I probably scared the cr@p out of with that fish tailing..

Last edited by mjeds; 01-23-17 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rjmalm (01-23-17)
Old 01-23-17, 11:38 AM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're OK!
Old 01-23-17, 12:26 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
stuck in stop and go traffic this morning on my way to work, getting a bit frustrated taking over 2 hours to go 21 miles.

finally I saw a opening to my exit, I goosed it a bit too hard and fish tailed pretty bad.. luckily there was a wide shoulder that allowed me to right the car, otherwise it would have been really ugly.

funny, traction control seemed to have fallen asleep because I was in ECO mode when this happened, and it took the car about 50-60 feet to react and right itself.. I would have expected the traction control, especially in ECO mode to not have allowed the tire spin in the first place, next time I know better.

Luckily this driver has spent his whole life in high HP RWD cars without traction control and knew how to turn into the slide and right the car, had I completely relied on the damn computer I would have kissed the wall or the car next to me that I was trying to pass and whom I probably scared the cr@p out of with that fish tailing..
That is both interesting and scary. I have used the nanny controls in both my IS-F and now the RC-F to make maneuvers on wet roads that I wouldn't dare do in my old Supra or Viper - because I have gotten accustomed to how the nannies work and keep from fish-tailing or spinning much. Based on your experience, maybe I shouldn't be so trusting! Glad you and your RC-F are OK.
Old 01-23-17, 01:51 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BossMoss
That is both interesting and scary. I have used the nanny controls in both my IS-F and now the RC-F to make maneuvers on wet roads that I wouldn't dare do in my old Supra or Viper - because I have gotten accustomed to how the nannies work and keep from fish-tailing or spinning much. Based on your experience, maybe I shouldn't be so trusting! Glad you and your RC-F are OK.
yeah it scared me as well, I would not have expected the tires to break loose in ECO mode, as it doesn't seem to really have any get up and go in that mode, plus I would have thought that it would have reacted a lot faster, I estimate 50-60 feet because I passed 2 cars before I got the vehicle right and straight again and I was on the shoulder at that point. lucky as I stated straight line, wide shoulder gave me enough room to not kiss the wall or another car.
Old 01-23-17, 02:29 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

the rc-f was down right scary one cold night being about 38-40 degrees out. it was a clear night. i put it in sport +, let the tires warm up for awhile before even going into WOT and it that it whipped me so hard, never as hard as the ISF has before. the electronics and LSD def saved me on that one.
Old 01-23-17, 04:06 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
the rc-f was down right scary one cold night being about 38-40 degrees out. it was a clear night. i put it in sport +, let the tires warm up for awhile before even going into WOT and it that it whipped me so hard, never as hard as the ISF has before. the electronics and LSD def saved me on that one.
You guys are a brave lot. Very early on, I remember posts saying how terrible the factory tires are on wet surfaces. Not a big deal with me since I don't drive the RC F when there's any moisture on the roads.
Old 01-23-17, 04:33 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs400jon
You guys are a brave lot. Very early on, I remember posts saying how terrible the factory tires are on wet surfaces. Not a big deal with me since I don't drive the RC F when there's any moisture on the roads.
all summer tires suck on cold or wet surfaces, doesn't make a difference who makes them.. Michelin, Good-Year, Pirelli, Continental. But the vehicles nannies and traction control systems should compensate on non-icy surfaces.
Old 01-24-17, 08:31 AM
8901alex
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's why I bought a ct200h for rainy and cloudy days.......
Old 01-24-17, 08:32 AM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok; I saw three accidents on Saturday because people don't know how to drive in the rain.
Old 01-24-17, 08:38 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
Glad to hear you're ok; I saw three accidents on Saturday because people don't know how to drive in the rain.
I commute through L.A... people can't drive no matter what the weather.. The rain just enhances their inability to function.
Old 01-24-17, 09:29 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I commute through L.A... people can't drive no matter what the weather.. The rain just enhances their inability to function.
Driving my 140hp car on a rainy day faster than most cars is fun in a way... But 467-540hp car would be like good luck to me... Barely tapping the gas made my car spin on city streets with asphalt... Can't really move from complete stop without spinning for a few seconds unless I go Snow Mode... Snow Mode saves lives and will get you faster than slamming to the wall by accident... I'm glad you got more experience in driving High HP Rwd cars than me... Drive Safe! My friend... I still want to see your car some day in Lexus F meets...
Old 01-24-17, 12:00 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ba2sy
Driving my 140hp car on a rainy day faster than most cars is fun in a way... But 467-540hp car would be like good luck to me... Barely tapping the gas made my car spin on city streets with asphalt... Can't really move from complete stop without spinning for a few seconds unless I go Snow Mode... Snow Mode saves lives and will get you faster than slamming to the wall by accident... I'm glad you got more experience in driving High HP Rwd cars than me... Drive Safe! My friend... I still want to see your car some day in Lexus F meets...
Thanks.

yeah I learned to drive on a 1968 T-Bird with a 429 ThunderJet motor in Manhattan. 360hp and 480 ft-lb torque. Limited Slip rear and no traction control systems. that car would leave 150' of rubber from a dead standstill by just mashing the gas.

since then I have owned several Camaro's and Mustang's from the 60s, 70s, and 2000s. A Chrysler SRT8, and 2 hot rods I have built.. not to mention a dozen motorcycles.
Old 01-24-17, 12:59 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Same exact thing happened to me a little while back...haha. Definitely an O# @#$%! moment...haha. Picked my heart up off the floor. Thank God we made it out okay. Lesson learned
The following users liked this post:
mjeds (01-24-17)
Old 01-24-17, 02:38 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 8901alex
That's why I bought a ct200h for rainy and cloudy days.......
thats my dream DD/weekend car set up.
Old 01-25-17, 02:26 AM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon
My factory tires were at 9500 miles before I stored for winter and the last week or two I had the car out I could feel how bad they had gotten round even some dry corners. Definitely be careful and I would replace well before the 10k limit on them

Quick Reply: 467hp, lots of rain, & slick roads equals almost a major oops.