RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Disappointed with Lexus reliability on the RCF

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 06:48 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Disappointed with Lexus reliability on the RCF

One of the reasons I bought the Lexus RCF was for Lexus' stellar brand on reliability and quality. However, that was not what I experienced with my RCF. Bought the car brand new, and noticed the steering was off. Bad alignment @400 miles. Ok, that could happen to any car. Then came the fuel pump @3000 miles, Ok, it was just my luck. Then the 2nd fuel pump failed @6000 miles. How hard is it to get a fuel pump right on an engine that was lifted from the ISF that's been in production for many years? Then came the check engine light @9000 miles. WTF Lexus. Haven't even hit the 10K service yet on a brand new car and multiple problems. Called the Lexus HQ up and started a lemon case. They said they would get back to me in 7-10 days. Three weeks pass by...nothing. Called them back up, and the service rep told me a case had not been started. WTF Lexus, I am very very disappointed.

Who on here has lemoned their RCF? or feeling the same? Sorry just wanted to vent.
Old 02-13-16, 06:57 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

What's going with the rc F stuff, having so much trouble...maybe check the tsib?
Old 02-13-16, 11:35 PM
GGawaran
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4000 miles on mine in a little over a month and not a single issue.
Old 02-14-16, 03:24 AM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kh4nh
One of the reasons I bought the Lexus RCF was for Lexus' stellar brand on reliability and quality. However, that was not what I experienced with my RCF. Bought the car brand new, and noticed the steering was off. Bad alignment @400 miles. Ok, that could happen to any car. Then came the fuel pump @3000 miles, Ok, it was just my luck. Then the 2nd fuel pump failed @6000 miles. How hard is it to get a fuel pump right on an engine that was lifted from the ISF that's been in production for many years? Then came the check engine light @9000 miles. WTF Lexus. Haven't even hit the 10K service yet on a brand new car and multiple problems. Called the Lexus HQ up and started a lemon case. They said they would get back to me in 7-10 days. Three weeks pass by...nothing. Called them back up, and the service rep told me a case had not been started. WTF Lexus, I am very very disappointed.

Who on here has lemoned their RCF? or feeling the same? Sorry just wanted to vent.
I dont know how lemon laws work in each state but I believe in each state it is different. Without googling it, where I used to live it was if any car had the same problem that couldnt be fixed over 3 times in one year and or how much the fix cost the consumer. Once again if I am not mistaken had to be a % of the value of the car. I'm not sure that lemon laws were meant to protect us really lol.
Old 02-14-16, 04:19 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Lexus probably decided to cut corners on some parts to reduce the cost, and now people are paying the price.
Old 02-15-16, 01:50 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Lexus probably decided to cut corners on some parts to reduce the cost, and now people are paying the price.
Yeah, THAT'S it I mean Lexus has Always been noted for their Un-Dependable Vehicles Guess i've been ONE of the Lucky Ones since i haven't had any issues on mine.
Old 02-15-16, 01:56 PM
fm2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8.7K miles and no issues...
Old 02-15-16, 05:23 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine has rattles everywhere, tranny now whining like crazy, parking brake doesn't hold the car, battery went completely dead for no reason (hasn't happened again), so also disappointed at Lexus myself. But your issues are just ridiculous. You might have to wait for a 3rd pump to invoke the lemon law, but it'll happen, as it seems to be the wire harness/connector in your car, and will keep eating fuel pumps. In my case, will just trade the car in, as my issues are much farther than yours to qualify as a lemon... but it's not far from that IMO. Probably built on a Friday, with everybody involved in a bad mood. Ha ha. Will keep it for a few more months, until I can thoroughly research and test drive my next car. And no more first-year model car... EVER! Good luck man, and please keep us posted.
Old 02-19-16, 08:18 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So my check engine light turned out to be a non-issue. Apparently, if you use the Enform app to remote start your car (one of the best features) you need to wait around 20 seconds after it automatically turns off when you open the door before you start the engine again once inside. Otherwise, apparently a check-engine light is thrown. Not sure if I believe this but anyhow they cleared the check-engine light and it hasn't come back on.

I also called Lexus and after dropping some words around getting a Lemon Law lawyer, they had a case manager call me back same day. I was given a direct number and a case number. We'll see how long this lemon process takes.
Old 02-19-16, 08:45 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kh4nh
So my check engine light turned out to be a non-issue. Apparently, if you use the Enform app to remote start your car (one of the best features) you need to wait around 20 seconds after it automatically turns off when you open the door before you start the engine again once inside. Otherwise, apparently a check-engine light is thrown. Not sure if I believe this but anyhow they cleared the check-engine light and it hasn't come back on.

I also called Lexus and after dropping some words around getting a Lemon Law lawyer, they had a case manager call me back same day. I was given a direct number and a case number. We'll see how long this lemon process takes.
Lots of benign things can trip a check engine light. Hopefully, that is all it was, but should be easy enough to check code. Not sure how what you described could do it. It is usually a vacuum, pressure, fuel air mixture etc. do you need 2 or 3 failures of same part to lemon in your state. No doubt, sux for you guys truly having pump failures. I would be frustrated also. Lol, the getting a new one helps a little and perhaps you will get one with no issues or perhaps they will figure this issue out if enough lemons and replacements.

Again, I think some else is causing it. I remember back when the 2001 996 twin turbo first came out and were suffering tail failures. Mine got stuck also. That turned out to be an instrument gauge cluster and was fixed by replacing the entire instrument gauge cluster. The tail failures had nothing to do with the tail.
Old 02-19-16, 08:56 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Mine has rattles everywhere, tranny now whining like crazy, parking brake doesn't hold the car, battery went completely dead for no reason (hasn't happened again), so also disappointed at Lexus myself. But your issues are just ridiculous. You might have to wait for a 3rd pump to invoke the lemon law, but it'll happen, as it seems to be the wire harness/connector in your car, and will keep eating fuel pumps. In my case, will just trade the car in, as my issues are much farther than yours to qualify as a lemon... but it's not far from that IMO. Probably built on a Friday, with everybody involved in a bad mood. Ha ha. Will keep it for a few more months, until I can thoroughly research and test drive my next car. And no more first-year model car... EVER! Good luck man, and please keep us posted.
Lawdy . . . tranny whine. Slap that B and give him/her some money or stay away from places like Thailand. Must be birds chirping inside his head as trannies don't whine and the RCF has no rattles.
Old 02-20-16, 10:50 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost 6k miles on mine and no issues. First gen models I always expect minor problems here and there.
Old 08-08-16, 07:05 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm nearing 10K miles in about a year now and the only issue I've had is this display anomaly while exclusively in music mode:

Perhaps my RCF got a little excited about the promise of oxy, but as soon as I restarted the car, it went away. If it does it again, I'll have the dealer take a look at it.

Otherwise, I still have immense faith in the quality/reliability/durability of the brand. Very happy 10K miles thus far and I expect the same for as long as I'm an owner.

Last edited by CYKBC; 08-08-16 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-09-16, 06:25 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Not a single problem at 10,000 miles but wing is stuck up. probably just needs re initialized
Old 08-09-16, 07:44 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
Not a single problem at 10,000 miles but wing is stuck up. probably just needs re initialized
Did you turn off the ability to lower/raise in the settings?

I purposely leave my wing in the up position and it was back down after the 5k service and fuel pump TSIB fix. Had to raise it w/ button then go into settings to disable. That is temporary until I get my new CF wing which seems to be stuck in customs at the port in CA.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Lexus reliability on the RCF