RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F Dyno Procedures

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 10:04 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

@weswork: it sounds about right. You're missing the headers. It should be close to 430 wHP after that.
Old 04-13-16, 07:48 PM
fm2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So there was no gain with the exhaust once the intake was in place?
Old 04-13-16, 08:15 PM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by weswork
Wanted to share some of my dyno results. A couple of things. First, I will say that I am a little disappointed in the results but, I DO NOT regret any of my performance mods/adds ($ value) and am not seeking to disparage anyone’s product. In one form or another they have provided me value. I will likely continue to add things to the car and try to measure impact as I go along. I may also get a logging cable and software to see if there are things that I can do to enhance my results, although I want to be careful not to do anything that only impacts dyno results and is not something that is repeatable in day-to-day driving/real world experience. I’ve been following the IS-F ECU flashing threads and there has been a lot of reference to Knock Correction Learning Value (KCLV) stored in the ECU and how it impacts performance. There are supposedly things you can do to get it up but, I am unclear if once you get it up (no pun intended) will it stay there or does it revert back over time based on various factors. Second, overall the results seem a little odd and not what one would have anticipated. I am really focusing on the deltas here as I know dyno results can vary from car to car, dyno to dyno, and even day to day based on conditions. I did try to keep most variables consistent. Used the same dyno, I operated the car, and made the same adjustments as listed in this thread. Conditions (temp and humidity) was fairly consistent in the dyno building on the different days. Car was not driven overly hard or heat soaked in getting to dyno location (10-15 minutes of cool down as car was getting set up on the dyno). Any and all input or comments are welcome. I will try to answer questions as best I can. I will say that the dyno operator was surprised and complimentary of these results as he wasn’t familiar with Lexus’ F brand and thought the car performed and sounded awesome, especially for a NA 5 liter v8 with no modified ECU parameters. He’s primarily a GM LS guy.

Baseline – All stock, ~2500 mi on car, 3 runs w/best results:
377 rwhp/349 lb/ft TQ – SAE
387 rwhp/359 lb/ft TQ – STD

Apexi Intake system (silicone tube/drop-in filter) – same day as baseline, 10 minute cool down for install of intake, 2 runs w/best results:
390 rwhp/348 lb/ft TQ – SAE
401 rwhp/358 lb/ft TQ – STD
Delta – (+13 rwhp/+0 lb/ft TQ)

Meisterschaft GTC exhaust & Apexi intake system – 2mos after baseline (1 mo after exhaust install), ~3K mi on car, 5 runs w/best results:
391 rwhp/365 lb/ft TQ – SAE
400 rwhp/365 lb/ft TQ – STD (think there may have been a hiccup here as there seems to be about a gap of 10 between both hp and tq when comparing SAE to STD readings on this dyno)
Deltas:
Vs Intake runs – (+0 rwhp/+17 lb/ft TQ)
Vs Baseline runs – (+13 rwhp/+17 lb/ft TQ)
This doesn't make sense to me. How can the exhaust not net any HP from intake?
An intake that net 13 rwhp is surprising as well.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 04-19-16, 07:14 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fm2011
So there was no gain with the exhaust once the intake was in place?
I did say that I found the results odd. Yes, no hp gain with exhaust but, there was tq gain. I'd also like to see if I can get the dyno operator to do a better job with the graphs and see if I can overlay some of the runs to see how the area under the curve compares.
Old 10-21-16, 03:47 PM
WHRCF2016
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 RC F Dyno Before/After intake and exhaust

Stock. 1300 miles. Before. 5th gear. All other parameters as suggested in post.
Old 10-21-16, 05:46 PM
WHRCF2016
4th Gear

Default 2016 RC F Dyno Before/After intake and exhaust

The After. Kenny's Street Demon Exhaust and Taketa cold air intake. Best gains reported in 5th gear are 25.4 HP, and in 6th gear +20.5 torque. The higher torque run resulted in -5HP over the 5th gear run which had the higher HP. 91 octane gas. Dyno Com dyno.

Old 10-22-16, 06:12 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow, your numbers are super low for stock. Am I reading that correctly? We all purchased 467hp cars and it looks like Lexus is delivering 425 hp cars unless your dyno or your engine is seriously off. Candidly, an intake should never add noticeable power or torque unless there is something seriously wrong the factory intake or the design of the factory intake. Is Lexus that bad at designing intakes or is there something up with the conditions of the dyno run done over a month apart?.

I am very curious, however, about the hp. Is anyone else getting stock hp numbers this low? Has anyone gotten stock hp pulls that are close to what the manufacturer represented? If not, perhaps class action is in order for delivering something well short of what we purchased.

This is where the Japanese fall well short in the performance market. Real sport car manufacturers normally underrate hp and underestimate real world performance. Also, speaking from a whole lot of experience, adding after market intakes and bolts ons to true sports cars (German and Italian mfgs.) usually net no gain, nominal gain or gain on either hp/tq to the detriment of loss on the other. If there were real gains to be had from such simple tweaks, you can bet a good manufacturer would design those in given how competitive the performance market is today.
Old 10-22-16, 06:22 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by weswork
I did say that I found the results odd. Yes, no hp gain with exhaust but, there was tq gain. I'd also like to see if I can get the dyno operator to do a better job with the graphs and see if I can overlay some of the runs to see how the area under the curve compares.
Not odd. Start messing with back pressure and you may see gains in one, but losses in the other. It is also important to not look at peak gains, but overall increase in area under the curve. You could actually get a slower car that shows higher peak if total area under the curve has decreased.
Old 05-23-17, 11:48 PM
Suburbazin
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Wow, your numbers are super low for stock. Am I reading that correctly? We all purchased 467hp cars and it looks like Lexus is delivering 425 hp cars unless your dyno or your engine is seriously off. Candidly, an intake should never add noticeable power or torque unless there is something seriously wrong the factory intake or the design of the factory intake. Is Lexus that bad at designing intakes or is there something up with the conditions of the dyno run done over a month apart?.

I am very curious, however, about the hp. Is anyone else getting stock hp numbers this low? Has anyone gotten stock hp pulls that are close to what the manufacturer represented? If not, perhaps class action is in order for delivering something well short of what we purchased.

This is where the Japanese fall well short in the performance market. Real sport car manufacturers normally underrate hp and underestimate real world performance. Also, speaking from a whole lot of experience, adding after market intakes and bolts ons to true sports cars (German and Italian mfgs.) usually net no gain, nominal gain or gain on either hp/tq to the detriment of loss on the other. If there were real gains to be had from such simple tweaks, you can bet a good manufacturer would design those in given how competitive the performance market is today.
Because this thread is a FAQ link, I'm going to bump it to hopefully shed some light on things. (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

The HP rating of the car is not RWHP. The HP rating is at the crank. So your stock car getting around 400ish to the wheels means you're losing 67ish in the drivetrain.

Second, the funky dyno graphs and power gains. I'm sure a lot of people have seen the stair-step increases between RPM ranges- this is a combination of the variable cam profiles and the ECU torque control. No amount of modifications aside from tuning will alter this behavior. If you look at the RR tune it basically removes the stair step effect to "smooth" the powerband.

Third, Expert mode is not the ideal or correct dyno mode. Expert mode (and ExpertDark) both keep driveline abuse monitoring active. This is the handy little feature that drops your car on its face when you do a burnout or make too much power on the dyno. Those of you that like to warm up the tires probably know what I speak of- 1st gear usually goes away for that run Your correct mode for dyno or drag racing is Sport+ with pedal dance. Pedal dance turns off traction control and driveline abuse monitoring entirely for the duration of that ignition cycle. Pretty much the only thing still left is gas/brake throttle override.
Old 05-24-17, 07:19 AM
WHRCF2016
4th Gear

Default "Pedal Dance?"

Originally Posted by Suburbazin
Because this thread is a FAQ link, I'm going to bump it to hopefully shed some light on things. (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

The HP rating of the car is not RWHP. The HP rating is at the crank. So your stock car getting around 400ish to the wheels means you're losing 67ish in the drivetrain.

Second, the funky dyno graphs and power gains. I'm sure a lot of people have seen the stair-step increases between RPM ranges- this is a combination of the variable cam profiles and the ECU torque control. No amount of modifications aside from tuning will alter this behavior. If you look at the RR tune it basically removes the stair step effect to "smooth" the powerband.

Third, Expert mode is not the ideal or correct dyno mode. Expert mode (and ExpertDark) both keep driveline abuse monitoring active. This is the handy little feature that drops your car on its face when you do a burnout or make too much power on the dyno. Those of you that like to warm up the tires probably know what I speak of- 1st gear usually goes away for that run Your correct mode for dyno or drag racing is Sport+ with pedal dance. Pedal dance turns off traction control and driveline abuse monitoring entirely for the duration of that ignition cycle. Pretty much the only thing still left is gas/brake throttle override.

Please explain pedal dance.
Old 05-24-17, 08:23 PM
Suburbazin
Driver

Originally Posted by WHRCF2016
I'll make a video explaining how later, but in the meantime refer to this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/512920-the-frickin-pedal-dance-please-help.html
Old 05-24-17, 09:02 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Maybe we should cite the manufacturer of the dyno; Dyna Dynamics, Mustang, Dynojet, etc. I know from experience that these dynos read differently, especially the heart-breaker Mustang.
Old 05-24-17, 11:52 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
Maybe we should cite the manufacturer of the dyno; Dyna Dynamics, Mustang, Dynojet, etc. I know from experience that these dynos read differently, especially the heart-breaker Mustang.
from page 1 the graph showed Dynojet. Maybe the dyno was adjusted to read low like a Mustang dyno (20%) drivetrain loss
Old 05-25-17, 12:55 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by WHRCF2016
you mean you don't know about THE pedal dance??? lol jk but i only know about it because of my friends frs and it has that too, I actually didnt know the rcf has it , and i probably will never attempt it because ill probably wreck it.
Old 05-25-17, 04:18 AM
Suburbazin
Driver

Originally Posted by shadow1118
you mean you don't know about THE pedal dance??? lol jk but i only know about it because of my friends frs and it has that too, I actually didnt know the rcf has it , and i probably will never attempt it because ill probably wreck it.
If you ever drive in Expert mode it's highly unlikely you'll increase your odds of wrecking with Pedal Dance mode.

Although I should disclaimer this with the fact that Pedal Dance, while not removing the PCS warning, does in fact totally disable PCS brake engagement. So where you'd normally get the car hitting the brakes for you, it won't. So drive with care. Although if you're tracking it on those rare tracks with corner walls/signs, you probably don't want the car hitting the brakes for something not in your path anyways.

Last edited by Suburbazin; 05-25-17 at 04:22 AM.

Quick Reply: RC F Dyno Procedures