RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone put an aftermarket stereo in the RCF yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 09:16 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anyone put an aftermarket stereo in the RCF yet?

I had 2 12" AlumaPro Comp subs in a custom box irunning off a 1500 watt alpine amp n my 3rd Gen Is350 F. The parts are siting in my house and I'm debating on installing in in the RCF. The box fits perfectly in the trunk, and all the parts ( Audio control LC2i to tap into the stock system and its remote bass control ) can switch over.

Here is my issue, I lost a lot of space going from a 4 door to a two door. My gripe is when I wear a suit, I feel like there isnt really a place to put my jacket. The rear, doesn't allow for the coat to hand with out slight bunching ( Im **** like that ). Most times Im solo, so I use the passenger seat. I mention this due to losing space in the trunk. Secondly, I plan on tracking the car. I think it would be a PITA to remove the box, etc.

Next, I do have the ML system and at times its great and other times its seems flat. In the IS the addition of the subs really woke it up. Really just wanted to see if anyone has done this.

Thanks
Old 12-03-15, 07:05 AM
fallguy767
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ML is great but depends on the audio input. Sometimes Sirius Radio sounds terrible. Just sticking with stock for now but let us know if you put the big stuff in.
The following users liked this post:
corolla6mt (04-13-24)
Old 12-05-15, 06:21 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Will do
Old 12-05-15, 07:45 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

never use satellite radio or bluetooth audio to judge an an audio system. Abolutely terrible low quality source. Use 320kbps MP3 or original CDs
The following users liked this post:
corolla6mt (04-13-24)
Old 12-05-15, 12:25 PM
JB5674
Advanced

How can I covert music into the high format. Really I use Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, should I be using my ipod more and just downloading music? I totally hear what you are saying.
Old 12-05-15, 12:33 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pay for pandora and get the better streaming option..
Old 12-05-15, 12:53 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even Pandora "premium" is only 192kbps which is pitiful. Anything I care about, I only download I mean listen to at 320kbps.

You'll google and see the debates online whether or not it makes a difference, but I can tell you from direct first hand ear test that YES. It does. YMMV.

..but yeah.. at least Pandora gives the option of the higher bitrate which is at very least a step in the right direction and do-able.

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
pay for pandora and get the better streaming option..
Old 12-05-15, 01:25 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you, which is why it's laughable that sirius thinks that people in ultra high end luxury cars should pay them 200 a year for their awful sounding product... even HD radio sounds amazing compared to sirius.

My only problem is that I don't want to actually download my music.. I wish there was a 320 kbps streaming provider!
Old 12-05-15, 02:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

you cant just increase the quality, youll have to have the original CD and rip it to 320kbps or songs purchased from Google Play are 320kbps too

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 12-05-15 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 03:36 PM
fallguy767
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plug my iPod in to the car and it sounds great. Just make sure you have th EQ on the phone turned off. Blue tooth sounds a little worse.
Old 12-05-15, 05:49 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Spotify premium steams at 320 kbps if you turn it on.
Though, you need an apple device to connect to the car through USB.
It wouldn't be worth it through bluetooth.
You can also download whatever you want to listen offline at 320 kbps through Spotify premium.
That's what I'm doing right now as I have an old iphone 4 that is not on my data plan.
Old 12-05-15, 11:04 PM
buckse
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the standard radio in my RCF and was very disappointed with the sound which is odd, because my ears normally adjust to a stock radio after a few days. But after a few weeks I was convinced the stock radio just sucked--even my friends noticed it, so maybe I got a bad one. All of the speakers worked, but they just didn't sound very good. With the stock radio there is a 3 band EQ for each input which I did adjust, so when I got done, all of the inputs kind of sounded the same (muddy, boomy, and crappy).

I added an Alpine amp, a JBL audio processor, Focal speakers, and a 10" sub in a custom fiberglass box I stuck in the right side corner of the trunk just in front of the cargo net. Put a sub-volume *** in the armrest console. Did it at CarToys and it was almost $5K with parts and labor. The installer covered the custom sub-box with the same black carpet that was in the trunk and it looked stock. This left plenty of room in the trunk.

Buddies from work said it was the best car stereo they ever heard. It took the installer about 3 days to get it done and to get everything tuned. The Audio processor had these headphones you would put on and sit in the driver and passenger seats, and it EQ'd the speakers and adjusted time delay to those positions with a bunch of DSP processing. It really sounded great and the single 10" sub was more than enough for me.

Funny thing is, with the better amp, processor, and speakers, I could REALLY tell a big difference between all of the inputs. CD's sounded GREAT. IPhone through headphone jack sounded really good. I think Bluetooth audio from my iPhone was probably next best, then HD Radio, and last was the satellite radio which just really sucked. Most of my MP3's were recorded at 128bps so they pretty much sucked and there was a lot of clipping (which I did not hear on stock system), but AAC encoded audio sounded much better.
Old 12-06-15, 09:45 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about this thread last night after blowing the doors off a riced out SC with "Ugly Boy" by Die Antwoord bumping at full volume as we wound past the city lights of Wakiki at triple digits..

Zero complaints with the ML system. If you enjoy beats, I highly suggest this as a test track. A+. Will do again.

On a side note.. this car.. is.. amazing. An absolute work of art. My god.

Last edited by jsmacks; 12-06-15 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-06-15, 03:11 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Originally Posted by jsmacks

On a side note.. this car.. is.. amazing. An absolute work of art. My god.
Totally agree. Lexus did this one right!!!

Great track - Ill listen to it in the car tomorrow. The ML shines with the right music. I was listening to some Puerto Rican bachata on Pandora. The horns and the drumb beats are amazing. Really not sure if add subs is overkill.......I like the idea of the soundstage balancing. I read up on this, as I looked into the JL unit for my IS
Old 12-07-15, 05:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Look at MiniDSP for DSP hardware

https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...-box/c-dsp-6x8

https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...ox/minidsp-2x4

Quick Reply: Anyone put an aftermarket stereo in the RCF yet?