RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

You've been F'ed

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 08:30 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The RC F has some definite upside besides the V-8. Very few out there so you are not passing yourself all the time on the freeway - like Mustang, Camaro, Vette. I guess the same could be said for the M4, but you've seen one Bimmer, you've seen them all seems to me, unless it's an i8 or a 6 series.

At some point I ask myself, what am I going to do with XXX HP? At some point it's just overkill, and unless you are going to track a car, what can you do with it besides get in trouble? That said, I still want more but the RC-F has not been a disappointment. Back in the carburetor and points&condenser days, you would have been lucky to get 350 HP from an engine with 5.0 L displacement, so that in itself makes the car pretty amazing in my book. And having said all that, I'm somewhat in awe of the 800 HP E63 AMG, I wonder what that turns 0-60 in?
Old 08-23-15, 09:31 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
The RC F has some definite upside besides the V-8. Very few out there so you are not passing yourself all the time on the freeway - like Mustang, Camaro, Vette. I guess the same could be said for the M4, but you've seen one Bimmer, you've seen them all seems to me, unless it's an i8 or a 6 series.

At some point I ask myself, what am I going to do with XXX HP? At some point it's just overkill, and unless you are going to track a car, what can you do with it besides get in trouble? That said, I still want more but the RC-F has not been a disappointment. Back in the carburetor and points&condenser days, you would have been lucky to get 350 HP from an engine with 5.0 L displacement, so that in itself makes the car pretty amazing in my book. And having said all that, I'm somewhat in awe of the 800 HP E63 AMG, I wonder what that turns 0-60 in?
Nice write up Fysisist!
Old 08-24-15, 10:12 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you get with XXX HP is basically the fastest car on the road. If you're really unlucky someone will find you that's faster. But even with really bad luck - that'll be so rare it doesn't matter. For me it's been easy to stay out of trouble. My license plate scares people away (not exactly wanting to share it) along with Renntech badges on a car that's already fast to begin with (before modified) - so I never have any trouble from Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers (I'm sure a Hellcat, if I ever see one, will want to see what happens), etcetera - so much of the "trouble on the road" (younger people who like street racing) just cruise on by slowly. Plus, the car sounds a little bit like Satan when I actually give it some gas - so it's obviously not just badges on an E350.

When all is said and done it's a nice feeling to have a really fast car but you don't get to enjoy it in that regard very much. The car is actually for sale and I'm not 100% sure what I want to replace it with yet. I might go all out ultra luxury again if Lexus gives me an LS with a good powertrain (the current setup bores me) but the GS-F is a possibility as well. 0-60 is in the high 2 second range for my setup.
Old 08-24-15, 10:54 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
0-60 is in the high 2 second range for my setup.
I could almost bet my house that's not the case in normal conditions. With a front-engined RWD car, especially with a huge and heavy V8 up there, even with the stickiest STREET tires, you'd be in the 3-second range at best (Hellcats are in the 4-sec range)... unless you're stuffing your trunk with hundreds of pounds as a ballast And that's simple physics. Even the heavy RC-F has trouble with traction at only 467HP/389TQ and a regular automatic tranny, and it comes from the factory with the best street summer tire there is (Pilot Super Sports). A mid-engine RWD car can barely achieve 3 with the best street tires available, like 458s and MP4s. And that's with the awesome Getrag DCT tranny, which is miles quicker than the planetary-gear (with a wet clutch) that MB uses. That kind of heavy and powerful car with a regular auto tranny is for straight line roll-on races, where traction and shifting speed is not that much of an issue anymore (above 50/60 mph). That's why more and more powerful cars are AWD now. I'm not a fan of it, even though the GTR has it. But it's a huge advantage out of the hole even against much more powerful RWD cars, especially front-engined ones.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-24-15 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-24-15, 11:12 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I won't argue with that. I do have REALLY good tires and I'm ridiculously surprised at how well they grip. In any event, I F'ing HATE off-the-line racing. My last "fast car" was an all wheel drive S4 (also highly modified) and even with a racing advantage - I just didn't care for launching. That's not what makes me happy. What makes me happy is 40 or 60 onward... That being said, I'd probably love a Hellcat Charger...

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I could almost bet my house that's not the case in normal conditions. With a front-engined RWD car, especially with a huge and heavy V8 up there, even with the stickiest STREET tires, you'd be in the 3-second range at best (Hellcats are in the 4-sec range)... unless you're stuffing your trunk with hundreds of pounds as a ballast And that's simple physics. Even the heavy RC-F has trouble with traction at only 467HP/389TQ and a regular automatic tranny, and it comes from the factory with the best street summer tire there is (Pilot Super Sports). A mid-engine RWD car can barely achieve 3 with the best street tires available, like 458s and MP4s. And that's with the awesome Getrag DCT tranny, which is miles quicker than the planetary-gear (with a wet clutch) that MB uses. That kind of heavy and powerful car with a regular auto tranny is for straight line roll-on races, where traction and shifting speed is not that much of an issue anymore (above 50/60 mph). That's why more and more powerful cars are AWD now. I'm not a fan of it, even though the GTR has it. But it's a huge advantage out of the hole even against much more powerful RWD cars, especially front-engined ones.
Old 08-24-15, 11:26 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

At some point I ask myself, what am I going to do with XXX HP? At some point it's just overkill, and unless you are going to track a car, what can you do with it besides get in trouble?
Said no car guy ever....

You can have plenty of fun without getting into trouble. A late night...3am...a wide open road that is straight for a mile...you can have a LOT of fun with that XXX hp.
Old 08-24-15, 11:31 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Agree on calling the bluff of a heavy C63 AMG getting into the 2s. A GT-R needs AWD to get that fast, and you're not getting that german pig moving that fast. Not without a blower and a set of drag radials and a weight loss plan.

However, have to disagree with you on tires. Guys who care about speed don't run MPSS. They put a drag radial on. That is how you bite. Slap a set of NT05s all around on your GT-R and I bet you either snap a half shaft or go to 60 in 2.6.

Last edited by Swacer; 08-24-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-24-15, 11:44 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
Agree on calling the bluff of a heavy C63 AMG getting into the 2s. A GT-R needs AWD to get that fast, and you're not getting that german pig moving that fast. Not without a blower and a set of drag radials and a weight loss plan.
It's an E63 with 900 horsepower using race gas and 800hp on 93 octane. As mentioned, I don't care if it doesn't actually get to 60 in the two second range. It wasn't a bluff. I was just stating what the car is supposed to be capable of doing.
Old 08-24-15, 11:52 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

I won't argue with that. I do have REALLY good tires and I'm ridiculously surprised at how well they grip. In any event, I F'ing HATE off-the-line racing. My last "fast car" was an all wheel drive S4 (also highly modified) and even with a racing advantage - I just didn't care for launching. That's not what makes me happy. What makes me happy is 40 or 60 onward... That being said, I'd probably love a Hellcat Charger...
Not sure what you guys think, but to me it seems like the RCF is Best in a roll from 20, 40 or 60mph. And that's keeping it in auto & sport+ mode. Maybe it's just because it's in a certain gear at these speeds in auto, not sure, but to me it doesn't seem to do as well if it's say 30 or 50mph?
Old 08-24-15, 12:08 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

It's an E63 with 900 horsepower using race gas and 800hp on 93 octane. As mentioned, I don't care if it doesn't actually get to 60 in the two second range. It wasn't a bluff. I was just stating what the car is supposed to be capable of doing.
Crank or rear....
Old 08-24-15, 12:12 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

What kind of Price are you going to ask for it? Thanks
Old 08-24-15, 12:15 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Crank or rear....
At the crank...

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
What kind of Price are you going to ask for it? Thanks
Ad: http://www.drivingemotions.com/2010-...istec-c-80.htm

...and here's the supercharger that went on:
http://weistec.com/all/e/e-63/2010-2...-e63-w212.html
Old 08-24-15, 12:18 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Then your number is theoretical and pointless at best. Put a dyno number up and detail estimated losses.
Old 08-24-15, 12:18 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Then your number is theoretical and pointless at best. Put a dyno number up and detail estimated losses.
I don't care enough. You win. My car is slow. Done.
Old 08-24-15, 12:26 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

That's fine, I just can't stand people that "spout" hp numbers that keep growing and growing and growing without any ability to back them up.

Add says 770hp...where did the 900 come from?

Might wanna detail hp or whp in that ad.
Sorry, I have this problem with spouting that I just can't stop. The extra 30hp comes from ECU modifications outside of what came stock with the Weistec tune. The 900hp is using race gas with the modified tune. The car is being sold without the extra tuning modifications.

edit: Sorry, Fysisist / ClubLexus. I never intended on derailing this thread...

Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 08-24-15 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: You've been F'ed