RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 04:52 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

none, dropped it off at my dealership this morning. they were quite aware of the tsb flash
Originally Posted by chrismgiro
Have you done any modifications to your RCF?
Old 09-13-16, 06:39 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

I am not talking about the delay after stepping on the throttle. That issue was fixed (or should I say, made much more responsive) after they did the Fuel Pump noise TSB. Night and day difference. The issue I am talking about occurs mostly at low speed and seems to be most noticeable after shifting into 2nd gear and occurs around 1200-2000 rpm. Try this...in manual mode, sport or sport+, doesn't matter, shift from 1st to 2nd. Just normal driving, not getting on it ( I am talking 10-20 mph). After you shift into 2nd, about 1-3 seconds after you shift, see if you feel the jolt, due to the drop in RPM I am talking about. As others have mentioned, you can also watch the tach to see if the needle drops. This happens to me in Automatic mode as well, so test it out in Automatic mode too. It is easier to feel in manual, though, since you know when the shift into gear occurs and know there shouldn't be any hesitation after you shift. It should be smooth increase in RPM, with no pauses/jolt/rpm loss...whatever you want to call it. I could probably get a passenger to make a video of this from inside of the car, as it is that noticeable.
I have the exact same hesitation before and after intake and catback mods. Still present even after they stated they did the TSB reflash. Very annoying.
Old 09-14-16, 01:03 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Video of my RC-F 0 to 60 mph in Sports+ POST ECU Reflash

Video of my RC-F 0 to 60 mph in Sports+Here is a video I did earlier today of my RC-F 0 to 60 mph in Sports+ POST ECU Reflash

I did it at about 90% WOT.

There is NO HESITATION AT ALL. My RC-F just takes off. It was a stretch of nice smooth dry four lane road. There was no burn out either. The tires gripped well.

My RC-F is totally STOCK. No mods.

I also did runs at different modes which I will post more later.

The following is at Sports+

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2h4mas0&s=9

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
I have the exact same hesitation before and after intake and catback mods. Still present even after they stated they did the TSB reflash. Very annoying.
Old 09-14-16, 07:16 AM
chrismgiro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Video of my RC-F 0 to 60 mph in Sports+Here is a video I did earlier today of my RC-F 0 to 60 mph in Sports+ POST ECU Reflash

I did it at about 90% WOT.

There is NO HESITATION AT ALL. My RC-F just takes off. It was a stretch of nice smooth dry four lane road. There was no burn out either. The tires gripped well.

My RC-F is totally STOCK. No mods.

I also did runs at different modes which I will post more later.

The following is at Sports+

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2h4mas0&s=9
The issue we are talking about has nothing to do with the other lag issue when flooring the throttle. The hesitation we are referring to only seems to occur driving normally, anywhere from 10-20 mph, after the shift into 2nd gear. I did some more testing last night in all of the various modes...normal, sport, sport +, expert, different TVD settings, manual, Auto. I previously stated the issue occurred between 1200-2000 RPM, but it is more like 1800-3000 RPM (That is around where I am shifting into 2nd gear, again, driving slowly, not flooring it). It happens in every mode, but it is much less noticeable in normal mode. I haven't really gone WOT with the car yet, as it only has 780 miles on it, but I would imagine the 2nd gear hesitation would not be noticeable if I were to floor it. I will try and get a video of it. If anyone else with this issue already has a video of this exact issue, please post it.
Old 09-14-16, 07:19 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Thanks for the info.

Let me do more testing and see.

I mainly drive in rural highways (where my RCF is located) and not really in stop and go traffic so I have not noticed any lag or hesitation. I will review the videos I did as I did multiple runs. The one I had posted is at almost WOT (not tototally floorING it, but almost ). I also did runs at a more slow pace at acceleration.

I will keep you all posted.

The issue we are talking about has nothing to do with the other lag issue when flooring the throttle. The hesitation we are referring to only seems to occur driving normally, anywhere from 10-20 mph, after the shift into 2nd gear. I did some more testing last night in all of the various modes...normal, sport, sport +, expert, different TVD settings, manual, Auto. I previously stated the issue occurred between 1200-2000 RPM, but it is more like 1800-3000 RPM (That is around where I am shifting into 2nd gear, again, driving slowly, not flooring it). It happens in every mode, but it is much less noticeable in normal mode. I haven't really gone WOT with the car yet, as it only has 780 miles on it, but I would imagine the 2nd gear hesitation would not be noticeable if I were to floor it. I will try and get a video of it. If anyone else with this issue already has a video of this exact issue, please post it.
Old 05-11-17, 07:38 AM
Ninja10r
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah , getting mine done tomorrow ... hopefully it will fix the issues ,cus my old is-f didn't have any of lag or hesitation at all, kinda make's me miss my old is-f
Old 05-16-17, 04:42 AM
Ninja10r
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup,had the reflash done and it is night and day difference,feels a lot more aggressive ,but 2nd gear still feels a little soft, 2nd gear in the IS-F would chirp the tires and i so miss that
Old 05-16-17, 10:43 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

agreed. it was a night and day difference for me as well. speeding out of a turn from a stop is strong now.
Old 05-16-17, 11:45 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm so glad I found this thread, thank you to everyone who contributed to this solution.

I have a 2016 GS F with about 5700 miles on it and just hit this problem 2 weeks ago. Last week I drove by the dealership midweek and couldn't reproduce the noise. I was picking up coffee Friday morning and while waiting in the drive thru the noise started again. I drove it straight to the dealership to show them and left the car running for 15 min before they could get someone to look at it.

The Master Tech listened to it but couldn't initially pick the noise out. He said it could be normal operating noise, ventilated seats or the HVAC but I insisted I already tested them all. He got in the car, turned on the HVAC and had another guy listen in the back seat while he turned it on/off and the guy confirmed the noise didn't come on/off. He immediately got out and said "Yep It's the fuel pump" -- looking back, that was a spot on assessment. They gave me a loaner, an ES, for the weekend so they could take a look at it.

I found this thread over the weekend and called the dealership Monday morning and they had already found the service bulletin and I picked my baby back up around midday. I must say the ES drives pretty nice and I had adjusted to how it handled, so when I got back into my car, the aggressiveness of everything - the seating, steering, gas, brakes, just surprised me all over again...just night and day.
Old 05-23-17, 12:46 PM
GR4NR1C3RF
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Get the ECU reflash ASAP!

I got my ECU reflashed to ROM 32428300 on 17 MAY 17. It DOES make a difference. I basically just went into my stealership demanding the ECU be reflashed to the latest ROM. Ole Mr. Cloyd was inimical at first, but he knew I wasn't BS'n. I told him your guys can either flash it today and be done w/it....or I'll write a letter to Toyota and file a compliant with your stealership. Mr Cloyd informed me an hour and eight minutes later that my RCF had the ECU ROM reflashed and I would be on my way soon. I really didn't like how it took over 90 minutes to have a two minute job performed, but @ a stealership what can you expect? My ole man said the TEK was back there probably eat'n donuts and drink'n coffee while making easy $$. NOTE, the in/out mileage is the SAME! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails RC-F Fuel Pump-plaza-l-service-nvoice.jpg  
Old 09-17-17, 01:26 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

My '15 with ~22K miles just this morning exhibited an odd buzzing noise. I think it's coming from the rear and I can hear it best when decelerating say in 2nd gear around 3K RPM. I hear almost like a diesel like tick at idle which led to more noises as the car warmed up en route to gym. I can only hear it with windows up, no audio.

My car feels as lively as ever, but this noise is definitely new. It's not a vacuum or humming noise - more of a buzz and seems RPM dependent. Anything above 3K or so it gets drowned out by the exhaust. Is this maybe the fuel pump per TSB? I notice Lexus also uses the word "buzzing" to describe the noise.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-19, 01:54 PM
Koreatown
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, having the same problem with the humming noise coming from under the front seat. I went to the dealership and they said they need to run a diagnostic and some test to see if its the fuel pump. Based on their research the car has had the recall already done. Is there anyone that had the humming sound come up again after the fix?
Old 03-15-19, 02:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Koreatown
Hello, having the same problem with the humming noise coming from under the front seat. I went to the dealership and they said they need to run a diagnostic and some test to see if its the fuel pump. Based on their research the car has had the recall already done. Is there anyone that had the humming sound come up again after the fix?
Recall was for the different front fuel pumps. The humming noise comes from the rear fuel pump. I had the recall work done for my fuel pump, but never got the humming noise from the rear fuel pump.
Old 03-15-19, 03:33 PM
Koreatown
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just found out the tsb for the Abnormal Noise from Low Pressure Fuel Pump this should fix the problem?
Old 03-15-19, 06:19 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes. I got this done soon after I got my RCF.

Originally Posted by Koreatown
Just found out the tsb for the Abnormal Noise from Low Pressure Fuel Pump this should fix the problem?

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump