RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF vs 2015 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 09:48 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Civic Si-r
Mustang enthusiasts were wary of the IRS and ford has released a video yesterday show casing 3 vehicles...enjoy. Base model GT with the Roush supercharger 41K.....smoking Lambos and Ferraris

Mustang Video of all 3 cars in 1/4 mile run
I am not sure if those drag racing videos have any real life relevance. Motor Trend got a 12.8@109 mph from the new Mustang GT.

Of course, Ford ran those impressive times in that video. However, they were wearing full drag racing wheels and Hoosier drag racing slick tires plus some other small modifications. The trap speed of 116 mph is a good indicator of how it was all about off the line traction where it shaved off majority of its time.

Just about any car will shave off several tenths just by slapping Hoosier drag racing tires and wheels so I am not sure how that would compare against say, a stock RC-F.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-27-14 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-27-14, 04:30 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm exaggerating, but that's like comparing a Timex to a Rolex. They both tell time accurately and look great in appearance, but do you cross shop them? I suppose you can, but then it comes down to whether the difference in build quality, design, and attention to details are important to you. If you are prioritizing cost per performance and stats, then the Mustang fits the bill (Although the Mustang doesn't handle so well per the initial reviews, so RCF is probably the better overall performer anyway).

I guarantee that once you take a closer look, you'll clearly see where the extra 30k went. Devil is in the details.
Old 09-27-14, 05:36 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
I'm exaggerating, but that's like comparing a Timex to a Rolex. They both tell time accurately and look great in appearance, but do you cross shop them? I suppose you can, but then it comes down to whether the difference in build quality, design, and attention to details are important to you. If you are prioritizing cost per performance and stats, then the Mustang fits the bill (Although the Mustang doesn't handle so well per the initial reviews, so RCF is probably the better overall performer anyway).

I guarantee that once you take a closer look, you'll clearly see where the extra 30k went. Devil is in the details.
I love the Timex and Rolex analogy. Stangs are fun rides, but the analogy is true.
Old 09-28-14, 05:34 AM
TheBatman
Driver

Originally Posted by primecut

I'd change it to Timex versus Omega. But the analogy is correct. If you want the most accurate time piece at the cheapest price possible, you get the quartz based Timex. If you want something more than that, you get an automatic Omega. That's why these types of comparisons don't make sense to me. If you're in the market for a performance car at the most cost effective price, the Mustang GT is a no brainer. I don't think there's another car out there with the best bang for the buck. If that's your sole objective then you'd be an idiot to get the RC-F over a Mustang GT. But to me the RC-F is like the recently phased out Omega Seamaster 300m quartz. You get all the build quality of a luxury item plus the low maintenance and reliability.

Last edited by TheBatman; 09-28-14 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-28-14, 02:32 PM
begone
Rookie

You'll only cross shop these cars if you really don't have the budget for the Lexus, otherwise there's no comparison at all.
Old 11-01-14, 02:27 PM
JaponesV8
Driver

Originally Posted by begone
You'll only cross shop these cars if you really don't have the budget for the Lexus, otherwise there's no comparison at all.
I disagree with that. Just because someone CAN afford something, doesn't mean they will. Cars are depreciating "assets." Unless you like burning money, they're never a smart move.

That being said, I'd MUCH prefer the RCF. Gorgeous car. I think the key thing people miss in the discussion is reliability.

I keep cars WAY past 100K miles as most of my money is tied up in the market and in my businesses. My current sports car is 10 years old. I make low six figures from my day job, but could never justify the cost of the R at this stage in my life. Once my businesses reach my day job in recurring consistent profits, I might buy a used one.

The question in my mind is will the Stang make it to 150k.....200k miles without major issues? If the answer was yes, I might prefer a used one instead.
Old 11-05-14, 12:23 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Putting aside everything, I would drive both cars first. Driving the Mustang would be a lot easier. Test driving an RC-F probably next to impossible for now, since it just came out.

Moving on, what's really more important to you? The fit and finish with Lexus is great, and the interior features are much nicer.

On the other hand, the Coyote motor has a slew of aftermarket performance mods already out and ready (Whipple, Vortec, Hellion TwinTurbo, headers, intakes, ECU.....you name it)

Cruising the Mustang forums for info may not be a bad idea either, check for major recalls and/or problems.
Old 11-08-14, 10:15 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm already seeing a ton of Mustang's on the road. I respect the bang for the buck quotient, but they don't look too special to me.
Old 11-09-14, 04:44 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
why are these two cars are even being compared? even mustang lovers would choose the RCF
I know this is an old thread, but I can't help but comment on this sort of response. It's not about comparing them per se, it's about deciding whether it's worth $25,000 more. I'm a perfect example. I can afford to pay for a $70,000 car with no problem at all. But it's all about choices. The $25,000 can be used for other things, such as saving for retirement or using it for other practical things. But nobody ever said it's about deciding which is the better car.
Old 11-10-14, 10:25 AM
v8sten
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is my $0.02 I have an 08' IS F and my friend let me drive his 14' Mustang GT. I know they are 2 seperate generations, but the difference was unreal. I grew up driving muscle cars, trucks and so forth. After 6 months of driving my F the fairly new GT felt like it was cheap, not to say it was a bad car, its just not a Lexus. It all depends on what you want in the long run. Do you want performance and aftermarket support at a reasonible cost, go Mustang. Do you want the refinement of a truely well built machine with the performance to boot, go with the RC F. Yah the Mustang will perform better, but as we all know the RC F will be heald to the same high standards that we have all come to know.
Old 11-10-14, 10:29 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
here is my $0.02 I have an 08' IS F and my friend let me drive his 14' Mustang GT. I know they are 2 seperate generations, but the difference was unreal. I grew up driving muscle cars, trucks and so forth. After 6 months of driving my F the fairly new GT felt like it was cheap, not to say it was a bad car, its just not a Lexus. It all depends on what you want in the long run. Do you want performance and aftermarket support at a reasonible cost, go Mustang. Do you want the refinement of a truely well built machine with the performance to boot, go with the RC F. Yah the Mustang will perform better, but as we all know the RC F will be heald to the same high standards that we have all come to know.
No it does not. Just checked the latest C&D issue. The RC-F instrument test numbers (handling/acceleration) were better than those of three cars (Mustang GT, Camaro 1LE and Challenger R/T) in the same issue.

For example, RC-F did a 12.8 seconds while all the other three cars were in the 13s.
Old 11-10-14, 10:48 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
It's very hard to find a good metric for refinement, but that will be the biggest difference between these two, and certainly worth the price difference.
Old 11-10-14, 11:45 AM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NewSpace
It's very hard to find a good metric for refinement, but that will be the biggest difference between these two, and certainly worth the price difference.
A GT 5.0 with the performance pack will run you 38K, a base model RC-F 70K, roughly a 32K differential. If you have not ridden in a 2015 GT with the multilink IRS, than you will be very surprised at how well balance and the ride of the vehicle is. Im sure the RC-F will give that Lux ride, but for the extra 32K, as one member has posted, putting money away for retirement and investments is the way to go.

Add the Roush supercharger to that 38K for a grand total of 44K and have a 600+ HP machine that will roast most vehicles on the road.

The forthcoming GT350 is coming and Ford is releasing full details on Nov 17 here is the video
Old 11-10-14, 01:03 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

sure you can get the mustang but youll just be like every other mustang out there, and there will be many of them.
Old 11-10-14, 02:04 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
sure you can get the mustang but youll just be like every other mustang out there, and there will be many of them.
I'm okay with that With all the aftermarket parts for this car that's in abundance, won't have to worry about modding it at all. I hear that Lexus will be making 2,500 RC-F for the North American market. Built in limited quantities, sure you will not see many of these and I guarantee there will be less tuners wanting to make aftermarket parts for a limited run vehicle.

Hell if you want rareness, I suppose you can buy the La Ferrari, but again from what I've heard all 499 examples have been spoken for.

In regards to "exclusivity" I see plenty of IS350's on the road. I suppose if you want to move up into that category....exclusivity costs, what are you willing to pay for that right

Quick Reply: RCF vs 2015 Mustang GT