RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Potential Vehicle Repair issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-21, 09:04 AM
TheGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Vehicle Repair issues

Hey guys, pondering on the idea of purchasing a damaged RC 350 (2015).

The price is reasonable and the repair costs here are a bit cheaper than in the US, so on paper it makes sense, considering it's an import car.

The car has a hit on its front and the only structural damage to it is the bent front end cross & side members. ABS cable is cut off, will need a new coolant tank, and obviously, the body parts will need replacement. Airbags are reportedly replaced, the engine is working. Is anyone experienced in repairing these cars and are there any issues/additional expenses I should be expecting or you would advise to run away due to potential issues I may have with this project? Are there any electronic systems at the front, which could be expensive to repair or something specific to be aware of? Restoring cars geometry doesn't worry me that much as the guys I know are professionals at it.

Vehicle while in the auction: https://en.bidfax.info/lexus/rc/4724...4f5007942.html

RC with some of its parts already disassembled:
https://ibb.co/2FgZXnk
https://ibb.co/17vnW0C

Thanks for your input guys, really appreciate it.
Old 08-28-21, 06:46 AM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Lots of sensors and electrical stuff on most all newer cars, depending on options. As far as a "fixer-upper" it would depend on if
you are wanting to flip it, or keep it. Just remember a vehicle these days "carries" it's history along with it.
Old 08-28-21, 07:44 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

That drivers side front looks a little pushed in to try getting that car driveable again. But hey, for $5,000, If I was into car parts, it might be something that could be a money maker long term.
Old 08-28-21, 07:44 AM
TheGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CharlieRC
Lots of sensors and electrical stuff on most all newer cars, depending on options. As far as a "fixer-upper" it would depend on if
you are wanting to flip it, or keep it. Just remember a vehicle these days "carries" it's history along with it.
Appreciate your insights, since I've posted this I've checked the electric systems, which will need replacement. What I've found is that it's most likely headlamp actuators & ECU, cooling fans ECU, bunch of fuses, pre-collision radar, the only thing I'm not sure of is where the transmission control computer is located, according to this diagram it's at the front: https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genu...5H5IkLaTQdQ_Ig

But it's not 100% clear for me. Not to mention that a bunch of other warning lights are on the dashboard, such as Traction control indicator, electric power steering system warning, check engine light, what is worrying, could be just related to the missing cooling fan ecu, and ABS cord cut down but will need to inspect it in person if I want to make the call. Seems like much more than initially anticipated. Unfortunately importing a non crashed car is not an option as it gets charged 30% import fees on the top, making it a price of a new vehicle, which just doesn't make sense.
Old 08-28-21, 07:48 AM
TheGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob67
That drivers side front looks a little pushed in to try getting that car driveable again. But hey, for $5,000, If I was into car parts, it might be something that could be a money maker long term.
Seems fixable though, as the car starts. That deal for him was a bargain, especially for you guys in the US, as it doesn't add up with import and transportation fees. Recently even on car auctions, these models are unattainable for that price anymore, similar condition RC's go around 11-13k right now. Now he's charging 13k himself for this, so he's making some profit out of it.