RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

OEM Spoiler for RC 350 2015 Trunk Lid won't open

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 04:44 PM
Steniriel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OEM Spoiler for RC 350 2015 Trunk Lid won't open

Hi there: I had installed an OEM on my RC 350 2015 but after installed the trunk lid won't open completely, springs were changed for the one that come with the spoiler, there any option to use in order the lid open completely, I'll appreciate your recommendation, tips etc etc...
Rick
Old 06-04-19, 11:19 AM
mpugeda
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Odd, did you disconnect any wires by accident (like the actuator)?
The following users liked this post:
Steniriel (06-04-19)
Old 06-04-19, 11:35 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Will the trunk lid open fully by hand but just not pull itself up or
does the lid stop against an obstruction before it is fully open?

Were the alternate trunk support springs longer than the OEM?
Steniriel (06-04-19)
Old 06-04-19, 05:20 PM
Steniriel
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by mpugeda
Odd, did you disconnect any wires by accident (like the actuator)?
I don't think there is any cable disconnected even the actuator, did you have a spoiler installed in your car and the lid open all the way up right away you try to open with the key remote control? let me know and thanks for your question really appreciate your help! blessing!
Rick
Old 06-04-19, 05:23 PM
Steniriel
Driver School Candidate

Well the trunk lid open fully by hand completely, but when you try to open with the key remote control, it just unlock, but won't lift the lid completely just by hand, thanks for your question, I wonder if you have a spoiler installed and the trunk lid lift completely using the key remote control, let me know, thanks and blessing!
Rick
Old 06-05-19, 11:02 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Your symptoms would seem to point to the spring length or strength.
Have you correctly installed the alternate springs on both sides to support the new weight?

Does your RC have the power opening trunk with a closing button on the opened lid inner edge?
Old 06-05-19, 09:11 PM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Using just your remote, your trunk supposed to open all the way up with the OEM spoiler using the supplied springs.

As the others mentioned:
1. Are you using an OEM or an eBay copy cat spoiler? Perhaps the eBay copy cat is heavier than the OEM version?
1. Verify the correct springs were used for replacement. The new spring should be about 1 coil shorter than the original one.
2. Verify that your new springs are hooked to the correct mounting holes. Ovaler hole towards the rear of the car and the other hole is circular.
3. Verify that your rubber trunk seals aren't sticky. Lubricate them with your favorite rubber protectant or treatment.
Steniriel (06-05-19)
Old 06-05-19, 09:22 PM
Steniriel
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by mcomer
Your symptoms would seem to point to the spring length or strength.
Have you correctly installed the alternate springs on both sides to support the new weight?

Does your RC have the power opening trunk with a closing button on the opened lid inner edge?
Thanks mcomer for your questions about this issue with this spoiler installation, this spoiler was installed at the Lexus dealer and they suppose to use the spring that comes with the spoiler, I mentioned this to the dealer and the services manager toll me that it's normal that the trunk lid will not open all the way, very strange. Do you have this spoiler installed in your car and have same issue? or if you know that I can buy a strong spring to replace those that they installed? Let ken know, thanks
Rick
Old 06-05-19, 09:32 PM
Steniriel
Driver School Candidate

Thanks CL for your reply, The spoiler is original and was installed ate my local lexus dealer and they use the spring that comes with the spoiler, they not gave me the originals back, so I can't measure them, I'll check this weekend about if they are hooked correctly and I did noticed that the trunk rubber is something sticky, I clean it and lubricate it but not too much different, I mentioned this to the services manager and he toll me that it's normal that the trunk lid won't lift all the way up, just barely, I wonder if you know whee I can buy some better spring stronger that can make the job, let me know.
Thanks
Rick
Old 06-06-19, 06:53 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

What do you mean by OEM spoiler?

I am assuming you mean something like this...

How long have you had the car before having this done? If this is the spoiler you have then it is attached via 4 screws if you are doing it correctly or double sided tape. The application in my experience is no where near the truck springs? I have no idea how that would have been effected during the installation. Then again I installed mine myself in my garage with a drill and a screw driver, so maybe I am an idiot and have no idea what I am talking about. My guess is that the trunk issue is likely not the cause of the spoiler installation.
Old 06-06-19, 09:21 PM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Steniriel
Thanks mcomer for your questions about this issue with this spoiler installation, this spoiler was installed at the Lexus dealer and they suppose to use the spring that comes with the spoiler, I mentioned this to the dealer and the services manager toll me that it's normal that the trunk lid will not open all the way, very strange. Do you have this spoiler installed in your car and have same issue? or if you know that I can buy a strong spring to replace those that they installed? Let ken know, thanks
Rick
It's an expensive$$$ luxury car and the trunk won't open all the way up? What nuisance loading something bulky into the trunk when the trunk opens only partially??? Excuse my French but that's a bunch of B.S. The spoiler install is a $499 + option through the Lexus dealer and it better work properly if you're gonna spend that much. If I were you, I'd take it to another dealer, presenting the same problem. If they say it's normal, ask for proof by demonstrating it on several RC cars equipped with OEM spoilers from their lot / inventory. Pretty sure most , if not all, will have a trunk that will open all the way up via remote. Lemme know if you need a video so you can show the Lexus dealer what a properly working trunk with an OEM spoiler looks like.
Steniriel (06-06-19)
Old 06-06-19, 09:33 PM
Steniriel
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by CLightning
It's an expensive$$$ luxury car and the trunk won't open all the way up? What nuisance loading something bulky into the trunk when the trunk opens only partially??? Excuse my French but that's a bunch of B.S. The spoiler install is a $499 + option through the Lexus dealer and it better work properly if you're gonna spend that much. If I were you, I'd take it to another dealer, presenting the same problem. If they say it's normal, ask for proof by demonstrating it on several RC cars equipped with OEM spoilers from their lot / inventory. Pretty sure most , if not all, will have a trunk that will open all the way up via remote. Lemme know if you need a video so you can show the Lexus dealer what a properly working trunk with an OEM spoiler looks like.

Thanks CL I'll appreciate if you can send me the video that you mention me, so I can show it to the dealer and fight with them.Blessing!
Thanks
Rick
Old 06-07-19, 07:49 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

I have an first year RC with the spoiler. I don't use the remote to open the trunk very often, but when I do, the trunk lid just releases about half the time (and I lift it to the open position), and the other times the trunk lid rises to its open position. In all instances, however, the trunk lid will open all the way. I can think of no reason why, spoiler or no, the trunk lid would not lift to the fully open position, unless something is blocking a hinge.
Old 06-07-19, 09:24 PM
Steniriel
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thanks for your comment

Originally Posted by tfischer
I have an first year RC with the spoiler. I don't use the remote to open the trunk very often, but when I do, the trunk lid just releases about half the time (and I lift it to the open position), and the other times the trunk lid rises to its open position. In all instances, however, the trunk lid will open all the way. I can think of no reason why, spoiler or no, the trunk lid would not lift to the fully open position, unless something is blocking a hinge.
ThanksTfischer for your comments, I experience all the same happens to you, I noticed that the weather strip stick to the metal therefore not allowing the lid trunk rises all the way, they recommend to use a silicon lubricant around the weather strip, I did that work but not for long, I live in Miami Florida, maybe the humid weather contribute to this issue, Thanks to all people that posted their comment!
Rick
Old 06-08-19, 01:18 AM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Steniriel
Thanks CL I'll appreciate if you can send me the video that you mention me, so I can show it to the dealer and fight with them.Blessing!
Thanks
Rick
Here ya go...

Steniriel (06-08-19)

Quick Reply: OEM Spoiler for RC 350 2015 Trunk Lid won't open