RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Really want an Audi S5... but the Lexus RC looks to be the smarter purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 02:01 PM
ericwb95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really want an Audi S5... but the Lexus RC looks to be the smarter purchase

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a used sport coupe in the 30k range in the next few weeks. I've been doing quite a bit of research and test drove some older models (in the 2013 - 2016 range) and I was really just blown away by the Audi S5 overall. Everything from the performance to the sound just feels right. However, the logical part of me can't help but realize that I found the Lexus RC 350 to not be THAT far off in terms of performance; the sound definitely wasn't there stock but that can probably just be modded with a exhaust kit, and as far as I can tell, the Lexus really just blows away the Audi in terms of value (ie, 2016 models with <30k miles are <30k, whereas with the Audi, you're lucky to find one with <50k miles in that price range for as recent a model), plus the maintenance for Audi as far as I can tell is historically atrocious, particularly when you put them over 100k miles.

What are your guys' thoughts, on these two cars? I'm looking for a car that will, not only get me the performance, but, and this is the key, hold up for ~5 years and get me to ~100k miles without me having to dump a few thousand into it in maintenance.

Is the Lexus RC 350 really the move? It just seems pretty baffling that Lexus might have actually created the best value sporty car in the luxury coupe segment.
Old 04-08-19, 02:09 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Depends on how long you're keeping the car, for more than 10 years, go with Lexus, if every 3-5 years, the Audi.
Old 04-08-19, 03:25 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Life is short, get what you want and what you are willing to pay for.
There are parts of german design, fit, styling and driver feel that is different from the Japanese. It will always be that way.
Modding a different vehicle to settle for less than what you want imho is a bad idea.

If you're blown away with a specific car...go for it...it's obviously what you want.
If you're worried about the maint costs, purchase a extended warranty or purchase a cpo with extended warranty.
Old 04-08-19, 04:16 PM
Roobarb
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny - I was just in the very same boat.
I thought about the Audi and came close. Then I remembered every time my wife trades in her Audi and feel heart broken that we’ve just lost another $40k as her car with 100k miles is now only worth just over $5k.
Thats fine for her, but I play with so many cars, I can’t face the hit.
That was the major driver tor me buying the Lexus this month.
The Subaru STi was my other option. No where near as comfy though!

Last edited by Roobarb; 04-08-19 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 05:58 PM
mijobo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My finalists when recently purchasing my RC were the A5/S5 and the Q60. I love the looks of the Audi and the Infiniti, but the RC to me was more distinctive. Also, the push button start of the Infiniti and the Lexus were easier to find versus the Audi. I believe depending on year and model specifics the Audi didn't automatically come with true push button start. Lastly, my wife and I are both golfers, and the trunk in my F Sport is much better than either the Audi or the Infiniti. I can fit 2 sets of clubs in the trunk easily.
As for maintenance, I believe the "newer" Audi's are much better than say pre 16 or so models, but they probably don't touch the Lexus for that.
Old 04-09-19, 06:01 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I had considered the Audi's when I was looking for my next car. My previous car was a VW jetta TDI. The turbo went out at ~120K miles and it cost 3300 to fix (with all the other things that domino'd).

I knew I was going to buy slightly used or CPO. I put about 30K miles a year on my cars and considered that the Audi is luxury VW with a turbo. I went with the Lexus for lots of good reasons.