RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

New RC 350 F Owner, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-19, 06:40 AM
Fillay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RC 350 F Owner, any tips?

Hey guys, just discovered this forum. Got a CPO 2015 RC350 F a few months ago, nearing 20k miles pretty soon and I've been wondering if there's anything I should keep an eye for since its my daily. Everything stock besides the sports exhaust. Besides the scheduled maintenance, is there anything I should know as an owner? Only problem I've had so far is my driver door actuator, which has been taken care of
Old 03-04-19, 04:41 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

If you do have the Lexus upgraded sport exhaust ( I have it on mine), you might notice a small backfire that occurs at ~20 MPH when decelerating. Like in traffic or coming to a stop light. Mine does it maybe 10-20% of the time. Another person on the forum has the same setup and he experienced the same. This is meant as just a FYI.

Some here wear their brakes out pretty quick (25K miles). Tires can wear pretty quick too. Mine is a commuter car as well and I do 100 miles round trip a day to and from work. I had The Bridgestone Potenza on mine when I bought it and got 37K miles on that set. I put the same on it again (at 37K) and have 60K miles on the car. Tires still look great! I just did the 60K mile service myself and the front brakes weren't completely gone...they had a few mils left.

Which exterior / interior color did you get?
Old 03-05-19, 05:26 PM
Fillay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by louczar
If you do have the Lexus upgraded sport exhaust ( I have it on mine), you might notice a small backfire that occurs at ~20 MPH when decelerating. Like in traffic or coming to a stop light. Mine does it maybe 10-20% of the time. Another person on the forum has the same setup and he experienced the same. This is meant as just a FYI.

Some here wear their brakes out pretty quick (25K miles). Tires can wear pretty quick too. Mine is a commuter car as well and I do 100 miles round trip a day to and from work. I had The Bridgestone Potenza on mine when I bought it and got 37K miles on that set. I put the same on it again (at 37K) and have 60K miles on the car. Tires still look great! I just did the 60K mile service myself and the front brakes weren't completely gone...they had a few mils left.

Which exterior / interior color did you get?
Duly noted, thank you! I'm clocking in about 60miles/day in my work commute but at least its a very enjoyable ride hehe. I got the white exterior and red interior!
Old 03-05-19, 10:35 PM
Jdholmes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like we got a near identical situation. Mine is white with red nearing 20k as well, and I put on about 60 miles/day. Ha!
I found a 2017 with a few of the popular mods. I have the ARK exhaust, but still have that *pop* when I decelerate to about 20mph...not sure what that’s about, but I’ve heard mention of it a few times. So far, driving in eco vs sport mode doesn’t seem worth it to me, you lose a couple mpg, but also makes the car feel far more sluggish. The radar cruise also took some getting used to, but is one of my favorite features on my long commute.
Old 03-06-19, 04:24 AM
mpugeda
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdholmes
Looks like we got a near identical situation. Mine is white with red nearing 20k as well, and I put on about 60 miles/day. Ha!
I found a 2017 with a few of the popular mods. I have the ARK exhaust, but still have that *pop* when I decelerate to about 20mph...not sure what that’s about, but I’ve heard mention of it a few times. So far, driving in eco vs sport mode doesn’t seem worth it to me, you lose a couple mpg, but also makes the car feel far more sluggish. The radar cruise also took some getting used to, but is one of my favorite features on my long commute.
What's radar cruise and how does it work? Is it only in 2017+ models?
Old 03-07-19, 08:19 AM
S2KBobby
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's called Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, found on page 233 of your manual. It basically follows the vehicle ahead of you while in cruise control at a set distance and adjusts to the speed of the vehicle ahead. It came with my 2015 model.

"Without accelerator pedal operation by the driver, in vehicle-to-vehicle distance
control mode, the vehicle automatically accelerates and decelerates in accordance
to the changes in speed of the preceding vehicle. In constant speed control
mode, the vehicle runs at a fixed speed."
The following users liked this post:
lexual_rc (03-09-19)
Old 03-09-19, 03:07 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Really does help to read the manual. 3 years in and thanks to your post, I know about this feature...! Would it work if the car in front of you suddenly stops...would your car also brake completely?
Old 03-09-19, 05:08 PM
S2KBobby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by suvi2k
Would it work if the car in front of you suddenly stops...would your car also brake completely?
I can’t attest to a complete stop but the car does break when the car ahead really slows. Using cruise I followed a semi through a speed reduction all the way to a traffic light but the light was green when we got there.
lexual_rc (03-12-19)
Old 03-09-19, 11:40 PM
Jdholmes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will slow down significantly. It was a little disconcerting the first few times I was using it for my highway commute to work. It will go down as far as 25mph and then beeps to alert you and cuts off. It’s for sure one of my favorite features.

There is a button on the steering wheel to adjust the radar distance. I generally keep it at the closest distance as the other ones tend to slow you down when people move into your lane at what should be a perfectly acceptable distance,
lexual_rc (03-12-19)
Old 03-11-19, 08:30 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

The dash indication for the distance you set ("the radar distance" - close, not that close, and not close at all) for the cruise control is harder to read than it should be, especially considering that you are usually setting it on the highway at expressway speeds. Other than that, it's a great system. Also, I think it retains its setting even after you shut off the car, so that's handy. Couple this with the new lane departure feature (not on my car, but this is on the new ones) and you have a car that pretty well drives itself on expressways, staying back from the slower cars in front of you, and not wandering out of your lane. (Finally, I can text while driving at 85 mph!)
By the way, don't worry about what the post two-above says: your car will not "break" when the car in front of you slows down. It does apply the brakes, however.
lexual_rc (03-12-19)
Old 03-11-19, 09:02 AM
S2KBobby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by S2KBobby
but the car does "break" when the car ahead really slows.
Duhhh! You got me there.
Old 03-20-19, 07:19 PM
dschaefer
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool thread. i just got mine a month ago. For the first few weeks, I "learned" something new each day. Like, when the speedometer is moved over, and you have Music in the left display, the right side steering controls will do thing related to your radio.