RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Valet Parking

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 05:52 AM
Captsprock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valet Parking

I have always been very particular about my cars and not wanting any valet service to have access to my car. I am going to a nice hotel this weekend and called to hotel about availability of self parking. They said they only have valet parking on premises but I could park my RC 350 at my own risk on the street. Curious to see what the majority has to say here whether you would trust the valet parkers or park your car on the street. Thoughts? Comments? Am I being overly protective? Thanks!
Old 09-25-18, 06:26 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 417 Likes on 291 Posts

you are being overly protective. Get a dash cam and valet it.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (09-30-18)
Old 09-25-18, 07:19 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

You are being overly protective. I think the new Camaro's have a valet mode which records the drive, drive time, speed, etc to make sure nothing crazy was done. Would be nice if Lexus added that feature too.
Old 09-25-18, 07:32 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

I would never give my car to any valet or anyone if I'm not present at the time. If the place doesn't have self parking I would go somewhere else or take an uber. My car, my money, my rules. Yes I would do the same if I'm driving an old Corolla.
Old 09-25-18, 09:41 AM
Captsprock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I would never give my car to any valet or anyone if I'm not present at the time. If the place doesn't have self parking I would go somewhere else or take an uber. My car, my money, my rules. Yes I would do the same if I'm driving an old Corolla.
My exact sentiments! I spent a lot of money to get this car, and all of my previous cars for that matter. If they damage it, sure, I have recourse, but I've got to go through all kinds of hoops to recover from them and in the end, it's my car they damaged, not theirs. I park my car away from others as much as possible in parking lots because I want to protect my purchase. Problem is, I can't really go someplace else for the weekend, so it may have to be a conversation with the manager of the hotel to make an arrangement with them. I know NP and Monkey say I'm being over protective. I understand your point of view but I have heard too many horror stories about valet parking that I would rather avoid if at all possible.
Old 09-25-18, 12:15 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Captsprock
My exact sentiments! I spent a lot of money to get this car, and all of my previous cars for that matter. If they damage it, sure, I have recourse, but I've got to go through all kinds of hoops to recover from them and in the end, it's my car they damaged, not theirs. I park my car away from others as much as possible in parking lots because I want to protect my purchase. Problem is, I can't really go someplace else for the weekend, so it may have to be a conversation with the manager of the hotel to make an arrangement with them. I know NP and Monkey say I'm being over protective. I understand your point of view but I have heard too many horror stories about valet parking that I would rather avoid if at all possible.
That's right! Ask them if u can just park ur car urself and still pay the parking fee. I did that a few times and the valet let me park my car myself and take the keys with me.
Old 09-25-18, 03:06 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jonmonkey
You are being overly protective. I think the new Camaro's have a valet mode which records the drive, drive time, speed, etc to make sure nothing crazy was done. Would be nice if Lexus added that feature too.
Enform remote app has Guest mode. Supports different types of guests, including Valet.
Haven't used it.
Costs extra after initial subscription expires.
Don't think it records things as much as alerts if thresholds were exceeded.
Old 09-25-18, 03:21 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Invest in a BlackVue 2 channel dashcam. I can monitor my car on my phone while the pimple faced valet is parking it. And I can also set speed notifications at any value I want. If I set the speed at 25mph I’ll get an instant notification if it’s exceeded. Any event also uploads to the cloud automatically.
Old 09-26-18, 04:14 AM
647TTA
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The last time I used a valet was 1991 and it involved needing to get the hood replaced on a new Acura Legend. Never again.
Old 09-26-18, 12:04 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I have always been very particular about my cars and not wanting any valet service to have access to my car. I am going to a nice hotel this weekend and called to hotel about availability of self parking. They said they only have valet parking on premises but I could park my RC 350 at my own risk on the street. Curious to see what the majority has to say here whether you would trust the valet parkers or park your car on the street. Thoughts? Comments? Am I being overly protective? Thanks!
In my experience with a lot of different cars being valeted (I travel a lot for work) , I've not once had an issue with damage to any vehicle and definitely not with anyone going on a joy ride. That said, that may just be luck but I wouldn't say it's common. I second the comment on the use of valet feature of Enform which is an awesome bonus to having a Lexus for added security. The note on a dual camera would also be an added security feature...planning on hardwiring one this weekend.
Old 09-30-18, 07:41 AM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 111 Posts

I'll tip the driver and ask him to park it at the front. I've never had a problem with doing this. Usually $10 will suffice. I'll also deactivate the trunk release and lock the glove box so they can't get a look at my personal info on my registration.
Old 09-30-18, 07:40 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

A hotel that doesn't allow you to choose to park in their premises on your own is a hotel that does not deserve to have any customers, unless the customers love communist ideas.
Old 10-02-18, 08:33 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
A hotel that doesn't allow you to choose to park in their premises on your own is a hotel that does not deserve to have any customers, unless the customers love communist ideas.
Comrade!!!!
Old 10-08-18, 10:25 AM
Captsprock
Driver School Candidate

Follow up: Plans changed and we ended up having to take my wife's car due to picking up some items to bring home that wouldn't fit in my car. Glad we did! The hotel had a line of pine trees right at the edge of the road which blocked your view of oncoming traffic from the left. As we were walking out of the hotel going down the street, I saw a valet taking a customers car out of the driveway to the parking lot and pulled in front of a garbage truck of all things! That's how bad the trees were, he couldn't see the garbage truck. Thankfully the truck driver was able to stop but if that were my car, I would've been in the hotel manager's office discussing how their policy needs to be changed. If my car is going to be wrecked, it will be MY fault, not someone else's!
Old 10-08-18, 10:58 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Follow up: Plans changed and we ended up having to take my wife's car due to picking up some items to bring home that wouldn't fit in my car. Glad we did! The hotel had a line of pine trees right at the edge of the road which blocked your view of oncoming traffic from the left. As we were walking out of the hotel going down the street, I saw a valet taking a customers car out of the driveway to the parking lot and pulled in front of a garbage truck of all things! That's how bad the trees were, he couldn't see the garbage truck. Thankfully the truck driver was able to stop but if that were my car, I would've been in the hotel manager's office discussing how their policy needs to be changed. If my car is going to be wrecked, it will be MY fault, not someone else's!