RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Map updating

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 09:15 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Map updating

Does anyone know how to update the maps in the nav? I live in a relatively newer area but one that has been around for a few years. My 2016 RC does not recognize my address when I am trying to set my home address and whenever I get to my neighborhood the map is just empty space without streets and what not.
Old 06-19-18, 10:33 AM
Wilzzonn
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jonmonkey
Does anyone know how to update the maps in the nav? I live in a relatively newer area but one that has been around for a few years. My 2016 RC does not recognize my address when I am trying to set my home address and whenever I get to my neighborhood the map is just empty space without streets and what not.
I think you have to take it into a Lexus Dealership. They update/replace the Micro SD card near the bottom of the unit.
The following users liked this post:
jonmonkey (06-19-18)
Old 06-20-18, 06:30 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

You will have to buy the new map data card from the parts dept of your dealership. I have heard conflicting reports of whether you can simply replace the card yourself, or whether the dealership has to do that. My parts department told me on the phone that the install procedure is quick, but involves linking the card to the car, probably by encoding the VIN into a spot on the card. This makes sense from a copyright perspective, as it would prevent re-sale of the card, or even swapping the card between an owner's cars, things that were often done with the DVD data of several generations ago. As an owner, I'm not so happy. I am also unclear about whether the cost of the card includes the installation. My data is over 3 years old, and I may buy the new data card soon. If so, I will post that information here.
PS: I'm old enough to still want to have a paper map in the car with me when I set out on a trip. Imagine that!