RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Just got back from a road trip with the RC350

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 05:33 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Just got back from a road trip with the RC350

I went to visit my dad in Shell **** Missouri for Thanksgiving. I had a strong southern wind at my back on the way there from south of Austin TX. I kept cruise control at 5 over the posted speed, I got 28.5mpg after the first fill up. I got 28.9mpg after my second fill up in Rogers AR. All of this was in ECO mode. After Rogers I was getting into the Ozarks and sport+ mode was too much fun on those roads.

But, this is where it gets weird. Coming back with a much lower tail wind...I got 28.9mpg and 29.5mpg for my 2 refills (after the roads through the Ozarks).

btw...all of these mpg #'s are gallons filled / miles driven. I do the exact same process when filling up the car. Pump till it clicks, squeeze again. remove nozzle and pump 2x until clicks both times.

I really didn't expect to get over 28 which was the rated hwy mpg....
Old 11-28-17, 03:19 PM
WayneLaR1
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Who drives an RC in eco mode?
Old 11-28-17, 05:45 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneLaR1
I do. And I can still floor it. Sport+ gobbles the gas. It's our main car for travel. For a 2 door car, tons of trunk room for equipment and luggage.
Old 11-28-17, 06:41 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

hmm, I drove my RC-F across country last year, from CA to CO to TN to GA, then back to TN, then straight back to CA. averaged 29 mpg (both manual calculation and on the trip computer in the car) over 3600 miles, including in city driving during my visit to all the relatives. drove most of it in ECO mode in the flat land areas, with Sport (not Sport+) on the some of the mountain roads and twisties. Total of 8 fill ups of 15.5 -16 gallons. with little over half a tank left when I got home.. was getting 460 miles per tank, topped 500 on one tank driving from Nashville to Albany GA, when I couldn't find a gas station, tank took 17.1 gallons that time, I was on fumes, literally I think another 2 miles I would have run out of fuel.

I would think the 350 should get above 30 mpg on a long trip like that..
Old 11-29-17, 07:45 AM
louczar
Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds
hmm, I drove my RC-F across country last year, from CA to CO to TN to GA, then back to TN, then straight back to CA. averaged 29 mpg (both manual calculation and on the trip computer in the car) over 3600 miles, including in city driving during my visit to all the relatives. drove most of it in ECO mode in the flat land areas, with Sport (not Sport+) on the some of the mountain roads and twisties. Total of 8 fill ups of 15.5 -16 gallons. with little over half a tank left when I got home.. was getting 460 miles per tank, topped 500 on one tank driving from Nashville to Albany GA, when I couldn't find a gas station, tank took 17.1 gallons that time, I was on fumes, literally I think another 2 miles I would have run out of fuel.

I would think the 350 should get above 30 mpg on a long trip like that..
The trip computer never showed anything better than 26 mpg when I was getting ~29. I've never trusted those that much. For me, I would never be disappointed by getting 1-1.5 mpg better than rated hwy mileage.
Old 11-29-17, 07:49 AM
louczar
Driver

Originally Posted by WayneLaR1
LOL... I really understand your statement. The car is so much more fun in sport(+). But, I drive 97 miles round trip to and from work each day. I put between 32,000 - 35,000 miles a year on my vehicles. I like to spend a little less on fuel. besides....sport(+) mode is no fun when you're at the mercy of the speed of all the cars around you and no way to go around.
Old 11-29-17, 10:21 AM
RCjets
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

RWD helps with the mpg. My stock AWD seems dead set on a constant 22.3 mpg regardless whether I drive like an old lady or speed racer, even on long trips with cruise set.
Old 11-29-17, 11:19 AM
louczar
Driver

Originally Posted by RCjets
RWD helps with the mpg. My stock AWD seems dead set on a constant 22.3 mpg regardless whether I drive like an old lady or speed racer, even on long trips with cruise set.
:-( Glad I stayed away from the the AWD.
Old 11-29-17, 11:56 AM
RCjets
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I wanted a RWD but in certain markets like Chicago all dealers have on the lot are AWD, a V6 RWD would be special order and they wanted full sticker price for the "inconvenience" of ordering one. I should have just got an RC-F.
Old 11-29-17, 05:23 PM
greasefin
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My F-Sport AWD averages 21mpg. If you drive it like you stole it, then my mpg drop to 18. But I did not buy a sports car to save money. I bought it because I could not afford to purchase a Porsche 911 or other. Sport+ mode makes all the difference to me. It's the higher rpm's before the transmission shifts into a higher gear that makes me smile on my way to work. Driving in the ECO Mode is satisfactory. ECO mode is there but absolutely nothing to boast/talk about.
Old 11-29-17, 05:48 PM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

RCJ: If you live in Chicago and want a RWD version of a car, and can only find the AWD versions at your Chicago dealers, just call around to dealerships in Indianapolis or Columbus Oh or in Dayton or Cincinnati. Here in Cincinnati the dealership usually has a selection of each type (e.g.: RX buyers here seem evenly divided). Or keep inquiring further south. My friend in Atlanta had a hard time finding an AWD version. Buy it from that dealer, fly down and drive it back (or have it delivered for a few hundred bucks). When the cars are being passed out, the North and Northeast get almost all AWD versions, and the south and west get almost all RWD, so you may have to go shopping out of town. Still, any dealer should be glad to help you find one. If not, maybe talk to a different salesman. My salesman found my car in Michigan because I wanted the red one, which is pretty rare, but I gladly paid the shipping charge.
Old 11-30-17, 05:32 AM
louczar
Driver

Originally Posted by greasefin
. But I did not buy a sports car to save money. I bought it because I could not afford to purchase a Porsche 911 or other. Sport+ mode makes all the difference to me. It's the higher rpm's before the transmission shifts into a higher gear that makes me smile on my way to work. Driving in the ECO Mode is satisfactory. ECO mode is there but absolutely nothing to boast/talk about.
That's a good point! Just out of curiosity, would you leave it it sport mode if driving during a heavy traffic time knowing you have no opportunity to get on it?

btw....I love how the car sounds / drives in sport mode.
Old 11-30-17, 09:50 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by greasefin
My F-Sport AWD averages 21mpg. If you drive it like you stole it, then my mpg drop to 18. But I did not buy a sports car to save money. I bought it because I could not afford to purchase a Porsche 911 or other. Sport+ mode makes all the difference to me. It's the higher rpm's before the transmission shifts into a higher gear that makes me smile on my way to work. Driving in the ECO Mode is satisfactory. ECO mode is there but absolutely nothing to boast/talk about.
Originally Posted by louczar
That's a good point! Just out of curiosity, would you leave it it sport mode if driving during a heavy traffic time knowing you have no opportunity to get on it?

btw....I love how the car sounds / drives in sport mode.

I use all the modes all the time.. ECO when in stop and go traffic, normal on the city streets, Sport on the highway, and Sport+ on the Twisties, fortunately my commute includes areas of all 4, so I typically use all 4 modes every day.. still manage to maintain 20 mpg in the RC-F on average.. I get 310 miles per tank typically, but I have seen it drop as low as 220 miles using Sport + exclusively, 90 mile difference, or the difference between filling every 7 days and every 9 days.
Old 12-12-17, 10:14 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Interesting topic with some actual data. I know I've never measured (yet) but there is certainly a difference in gas consumption between the sports modes vs the eco/normal mode. The normal mode seems to be a good compromise in heavier traffic/local spirited driving since I notice the ECO indicator pop up when driving 'normally'. But to others point, traffic or not, I find it too tempting not to use the paddle shifters and sports mode the majority of the time I have two free hands.
Old 12-13-17, 05:26 AM
louczar
Driver

Now that I am back to my regular work schedule, I got 25mpg and 23.5mpg in my last 2 tanks

Quick Reply: Just got back from a road trip with the RC350