RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Can this seatbelt strap be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 09:43 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts
Default Can this seatbelt strap be replaced?

Mine is starting to show some wear, can this be removed and replaced?

Attached Thumbnails Can this seatbelt strap be replaced?-photo-nov-10-2-04-45-pm.jpg   Can this seatbelt strap be replaced?-photo-nov-10-2-05-06-pm.jpg   Can this seatbelt strap be replaced?-photo-nov-10-2-05-10-pm.jpg  
Old 11-13-17, 12:51 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Swap with passenger for now?
Old 11-13-17, 12:57 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
Swap with passenger for now?
It doesn't come off, how do I take it off?
Old 11-13-17, 02:18 PM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

This is exactly why I wont let my wife put the passenger seat belt in that strap. I knew it would happen. I'm sorry it's happening to you. That really sucks...
Old 11-13-17, 02:46 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by louczar
This is exactly why I wont let my wife put the passenger seat belt in that strap. I knew it would happen. I'm sorry it's happening to you. That really sucks...
Yeah and good thing I caught it before it gets any worse. I saw some RCFs having this problem but on the actual seat.
Old 11-14-17, 05:34 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yeah and good thing I caught it before it gets any worse. I saw some RCFs having this problem but on the actual seat.
Since it looks like you wont be able to replace the strap (easily). Have you considered maybe trying one of these
Amazon Amazon

I have never used anything like those before. No idea how good or bad they work. Just making a suggestion / trying to help
Old 11-14-17, 06:54 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I think it can be replaced quickly. I just had to have my front seat repaired, which was done under warranty. When I picked up the car yesterday (returning the LC500 loaner without a scratch) the service manager, at the last minute, said that he just learned that the retaining strap had not come in, but he will call when it does and I can come in anytime, because they can just snap it on for me quickly. Since mine is off right now, perhaps a photo of the upper connection will give some indication of how it is removed and attached. If so, I will post a photo in the next day or two.
However, in my experience, sometimes small ancillary parts like this are not sold individually, which would be a shame. I think an entire seat is pretty expensive.
Old 11-14-17, 08:04 AM
tfischer

Here is a photo of the attachment on the upper end of the strap, and a closer look on the right side of the photo. Looking at this, I'm still not sure how the attachment is made, but if you can buy the belt as a separate part, it should be obvious from the belt side. Or the service tech can give you a hint; I have always found them to be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails Can this seatbelt strap be replaced?-rc350-belt-strap.jpg  
Old 11-14-17, 08:09 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tfischer
Here is a photo of the attachment on the upper end of the strap, and a closer look on the right side of the photo. Looking at this, I'm still not sure how the attachment is made, but if you can buy the belt as a separate part, it should be obvious from the belt side. Or the service tech can give you a hint; I have always found them to be helpful.
Hmm... That looks interesting. I wonder if it's held by a screw in the middle there and it's covered by the end cap on the strap itself.

What was wrong with your seat?
Old 11-14-17, 08:12 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by louczar
Since it looks like you wont be able to replace the strap (easily). Have you considered maybe trying one of these https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ed+leather+dye

I have never used anything like those before. No idea how good or bad they work. Just making a suggestion / trying to help
Thanks man! I used the Meguiars leather cleaner and it cleaned the dirt except the worn out part that needs to be dyed, maybe I'll try that.
Old 11-14-17, 08:45 AM
tfischer

My driver's seat had a little split develop in a seam. The Service Manager said they had had no trouble with the seats, but that this was covered under the 4 yr warranty (car is 3 years old). They ordered the parts and recovered the front seat, which took a full day. They said the charge for this work out of warranty would have been well over a thousand dollars.
The screw attachment might be what is involved here. I'll check and see if the inside of the little post is threaded.
Stay tuned.
Old 11-15-17, 07:51 AM
tfischer

The post in my picture above is not threaded on the inside, so clearly the strap is not attached at the top with a screw. The parts department tells me that (1) this strap can be ordered by itself in any of the interior colors and (2) "it just snaps on."
My suggestion at this time is to order a replacement from your Lexus Parts Department.
When I take my car in for the new strap to be attached to my car, I'll see if I can learn how it is attached and detached from the fastener pictured; maybe it's one of those compression fittings that uses a special tool for this. For those who have few passengers, swapping a worn strap with the other side would be a viable option, even if you have to have the dealer do it (depending on the cost of the replacement, which is probably not too much).
The following users liked this post:
louczar (11-16-17)
Old 11-15-17, 01:27 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tfischer
The post in my picture above is not threaded on the inside, so clearly the strap is not attached at the top with a screw. The parts department tells me that (1) this strap can be ordered by itself in any of the interior colors and (2) "it just snaps on."
My suggestion at this time is to order a replacement from your Lexus Parts Department.
When I take my car in for the new strap to be attached to my car, I'll see if I can learn how it is attached and detached from the fastener pictured; maybe it's one of those compression fittings that uses a special tool for this. For those who have few passengers, swapping a worn strap with the other side would be a viable option, even if you have to have the dealer do it (depending on the cost of the replacement, which is probably not too much).
Yes please, I would like to know how this comes on and off. I don't want to start yanking stuff and the whole seat rips apart. Thank you!
Old 11-16-17, 10:08 AM
tfischer

I had the new strap put on this morning, but was busy elsewhere and did not see how it was done, although it was done quickly. (As Macbeth observed: "If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well It were done quickly.")
My suggestion would be to order the strap in your color, and if you find that you need some help or advice on the replacement procedure, ask them how it's done. We know it's "done quickly."