RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Factory Cool Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 07:41 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Factory Cool Air Intake

Here's my dilemma: On the window sticker of my new RC350 F Sport it says" Cool Air intake with Sound Generator". I was assuming this was the F Sport CAI that is shown on the accessory page of the website however mine doesn't have the F- Logo, blue tubing, etc. Does anyone know if there is any benefit to the F-Sport CAI rather than the one that came stock on the car?
I'm not sure if I want to go the Takeda CAI route because reading from other posts the dealer may raise some warranty issues as it's a leased vehicle.
Any opinions? Thanks.
Old 06-22-16, 10:11 PM
jaywuzhere
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ALE81
I'm not sure if I want to go the Takeda CAI route because reading from other posts the dealer may raise some warranty issues as it's a leased vehicle.
Any opinions? Thanks.
Mines not a lease, but I dont see why that would matter. Installs in under an hour. Just make sure you have a M10 socket with ratchet, and your basic flat head screw driver. When your lease is up, just reinstall the factory intake
Old 06-22-16, 11:19 PM
Arfboy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's my dilemma: On the window sticker of my new RC350 F Sport it says" Cool Air intake with Sound Generator". I was assuming this was the F Sport CAI that is shown on the accessory page of the website however mine doesn't have the F- Logo, blue tubing, etc. Does anyone know if there is any benefit to the F-Sport CAI rather than the one that came stock on the car?
Any opinions? Thanks.
I wasn't aware that there was an F Sport intake for the RC. Are you referring to the one for the IS?
Old 06-23-16, 02:09 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

You can always remove the intake before you take it to the dealer, but I highly doubt they will void your warranty. None of my customers that have purchased the Takeda intake never reported any issues..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-23-16, 09:13 AM
ALE81
Driver

Originally Posted by Arfboy
I wasn't aware that there was an F Sport intake for the RC. Are you referring to the one for the IS?
Yes, I'm referring to the one for the IS. Since both vehicles have the 3.5 L V6 I assumed it would work with either engine.
Old 06-23-16, 01:53 PM
Arfboy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I'm referring to the one for the IS. Since both vehicles have the 3.5 L V6 I assumed it would work with either engine.
From the limited relevant info I was able to find a while back, I believe that the airbox of the IS is a little different from the RC. I didn't wanna spend a few hundred bucks and be the Guinea pig to find out for sure though. Lol

Other aftermarket options work between the diff models because they do away with the airbox.

If you decide to try it out, post your results! 👍
Old 06-24-16, 11:13 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the takeda as josh has mentioned is great, check out the youtube videos posted by gearheadpete and you will not have any issues when you bring it into the shop.
Old 06-24-16, 11:37 AM
Waymok
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, the tube is the same part number, but not the air box. So as long as the system you get doesn't come with the box you are good. I also work in the Lexus Parts department, so anything you guys are wondering, i can find out via the program
Old 06-24-16, 05:15 PM
MattRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much is just the F-Sport tube?
Old 06-28-16, 10:15 PM
ZeroG
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
You can always remove the intake before you take it to the dealer, but I highly doubt they will void your warranty. None of my customers that have purchased the Takeda intake never reported any issues..

-Josh
My dealer installed mine, and I'm leasing. They also did my drop and my exhaust. Nothing voided.
Old 06-30-16, 03:32 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroG
My dealer installed mine, and I'm leasing. They also did my drop and my exhaust. Nothing voided.
That must be a pretty cool dealership, i'd never thought they'd do a drop or an exhaust on a Lease vehicle
Old 06-30-16, 04:22 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
That must be a pretty cool dealership, i'd never thought they'd do a drop or an exhaust on a Lease vehicle
My car is not leased, but I laughed at my dealership when they quoted $1,460 for spring installation.
Old 07-04-16, 06:53 PM
ALE81
Driver

I attached some photos of the intake on my 16 RC350 F Sport. The window sticker states Factory Cool Air Intake. As you can see from the photos it appears this CAI should work pretty well as it brings in cool air thru the front grill, up thru the top vents and then directs it into a "scoop" directly into the filter box.
I am considering a Takeda CAI as I stated in my op, however I don't see where the Takeda could offer better benefits (mainly better mpg and a little more power) than the stock set up. My original reason for looking into the Takeda was Gear Head Peter's +3 mpg.
Could members with 2015 RC's tell me if their intake looks like mine? If not, maybe that's where the mpg/performance gains were had from GHP's install.
Factory Cool Air Intake-p1140050.jpg

Factory Cool Air Intake-p1140048.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Factory Cool Air Intake-p1140049.jpg  

Last edited by ALE81; 07-05-16 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-04-16, 07:24 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Considering doing the CAI upgrade but don't really like that loud race car sound. I love how it's quiet hum right now. Any CAI upgrade that doesn't have the roar?
Old 07-05-16, 02:22 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
Considering doing the CAI upgrade but don't really like that loud race car sound. I love how it's quiet hum right now. Any CAI upgrade that doesn't have the roar?
I have one Takeda intake left.. Its not too loud, but it does sound very good! I've heard it on my customers RC350.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Quick Reply: Factory Cool Air Intake