Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE headers and RR racing EC tune worth it for IS250??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 01:35 PM
Mikes08
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PPE headers and RR racing EC tune worth it for IS250??

Hi, guys I will soon inherit my wife's 08' IS250 (6sp MT), I've been collecting parts for this build for a while now . But my question is should I spend more money on very minor gains like the PPE headers and RR racing ecu tune. I know RR racing is selling the headers and ecu computer combo for over a grand but, is it worth it?? I really wish the 2gen IS was less complicated like the older IS300 and I could just swap in a 1 or 2JZ series engine and call it a day. Anyone has this setup on their IS250 ??? And it is a very noticeable difference?? RR racing does have a supercharger kit but, for $6,000 I rather have a turbocharger kit and with that price I can find a decent IS300 but, this car is in good condition and I know the previous owner...
Old 03-17-19, 04:46 PM
eddysoares
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the rr racing tune on my 07 IS250 and it has made a major difference on how my car accelerates above 20mph. I have a higher redline so I’ve been able to adjust my shift points (also a 6spd). I bought mine with the invidia midpipe combo deal. I’m still waiting on getting the ppe headers but will Prbly get their supercharger kit first. It’s not 6k it’s closer to 5300 I think, and they say there’s a discount for people who already have the tune.

Good is luck with the turbo idea I don’t see many people go that way but it could be cool.
The following 2 users liked this post by eddysoares:
Mikes08 (03-17-19), RRRacing (05-15-19)
Old 03-17-19, 07:28 PM
Mikes08
Rookie

Originally Posted by eddysoares
I have the rr racing tune on my 07 IS250 and it has made a major difference on how my car accelerates above 20mph. I have a higher redline so I’ve been able to adjust my shift points (also a 6spd). I bought mine with the invidia midpipe combo deal. I’m still waiting on getting the ppe headers but will Prbly get their supercharger kit first. It’s not 6k it’s closer to 5300 I think, and they say there’s a discount for people who already have the tune.

Good is luck with the turbo idea I don’t see many people go that way but it could be cool.
I just looked at the website for the supercharger and it's $5,300 plus what ever options you choose. I'd love to see a built thread on this first and some real life numbers before I pull the trigger on this. If you happen to buy one please do a build thread I would definitely follow.
Old 03-18-19, 12:42 AM
eddysoares
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had the funds I’d start tomorrow! Unfortunately that’s couple months of budgets away from me right now. I’ll prbly be doing it around oct-nov in a perfect world.
The following users liked this post:
Mikes08 (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 11:37 AM
djs801
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headers make a huge difference in terms of power and make the car sound a lot better I highly recommend it. I know no one will believe me but my IS250 with catless Ppe headers and invidia exhaust was neck to neck with a wrx
Old 03-31-19, 05:42 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by djs801
The headers make a huge difference in terms of power and make the car sound a lot better I highly recommend it. I know no one will believe me but my IS250 with catless Ppe headers and invidia exhaust was neck to neck with a wrx
Oh i believe you, I think that's the only reason i pulled a car length on a 135i.
Old 05-14-19, 09:03 AM
250Chino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers

Originally Posted by badx33
Oh i believe you, I think that's the only reason i pulled a car length on a 135i.
I was wondering did you install your headers your self or went to a shop? And would I need to buy o2 sensors or is the oem easy to remove?
Old 05-15-19, 07:58 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Obviously the tune will open up a lot of potential with your car. And headers will give it a generous gain, along with the fact you won't need to worry about any sort of CEL with it. But in terms to your other statement, a turbo would be cool, but there is a reason we didn't 't go with them or any positive displacement FI. The supercharger is well worth it for the $5000~ that it is. I can tell you that investment is far cheaper than buying an IS300 and doing a 1JZ or GTE swap in it.

-Sean
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 05-15-19, 08:36 AM
Mikes08
Rookie

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Obviously the tune will open up a lot of potential with your car. And headers will give it a generous gain, along with the fact you won't need to worry about any sort of CEL with it. But in terms to your other statement, a turbo would be cool, but there is a reason we didn't 't go with them or any positive displacement FI. The supercharger is well worth it for the $5000~ that it is. I can tell you that investment is far cheaper than buying an IS300 and doing a 1JZ or GTE swap in it.

-Sean
I have the invidia mid pipe and axle back that I recently ordered from you guys. I just got the axleback yesterday , I might go with the tune, but is there any future updates for bolt on parts with the tune??
Old 05-15-19, 08:53 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes08
I have the invidia mid pipe and axle back that I recently ordered from you guys. I just got the axleback yesterday , I might go with the tune, but is there any future updates for bolt on parts with the tune??
What do you mean updates? If you purchase the tune now and later on want headers, the tune that's installed will automatically calibrate for the difference in parts thrown on.

-Sean
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 05-15-19, 04:59 PM
Mikes08
Rookie

Originally Posted by RRRacing
What do you mean updates? If you purchase the tune now and later on want headers, the tune that's installed will automatically calibrate for the difference in parts thrown on.

-Sean
What I mean is the current tune you have for the IS250, will they be any future updates that you guys are working on or this is it as far as ECU tuning for the 250?? Also is there a dyno chart with bolt on parts added to your test car i.e. axle back, mid pipe, and or headers?? For people like me who are contemplating on getting the tune who have bolt on parts that will be installed along with the tune . I see you guys have a combo deal with the headers and ecu but , is there a dyno chart with numbers after the ECU and headers were installed on your test vehicle??? I'm sure plenty of people including myself would like to see if bolt on parts would make a difference with the 22hp gain from just the tune with stock parts.
Old 05-17-19, 04:37 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi there, its possible to install them yourself I know a few people that have. But i didn't have the time so I went to a shop that had installed a few PPE headers in the past.