Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: to supercharge or to upgrade to the isf
Supercharge the IS350
56.41%
Upgrade to the ISF
43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

to supercharge the is350 or buy an isf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 07:49 AM
orrah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pokoyn
to be honest redspencer you sound like you have a thing against the isF and are just stating random fact about dyno charts which NEVER show the cars full potential. I guess the extra 70ish pounds of torque the isF generates doesn't really matter? lol

I would put my stock isF against ANY supercharged is350 and have no problem showing you the isF is bar none the better car and faster. Now factor in full bolt ons and tune its not even going to be close.

show me some lap times and 1/4 mile times with video of "claimed" is350 being as fast as you think its going to be.

either way do what makes you happy OP. I have owned all is250, is350, and now a 2013 isF. I didnt want to continue to throw money at a car I KNEW would never be quite the car an isF is. If you're an isF hater than get a blower and hopefully one day we can put the cars against each other. Also keep in mind 200-300k mile isF have still sold for over $10k there is no way an is350 would pull that same cash.
Quoted for truth.
Old 02-02-18, 08:02 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspect
^ I don't really see the IS350 fanboy-ism just stating that the supercharged IS350 could theoretically be comparable to a FBO ISF. RR Racing's ISF with their power package - tuned intake, exhaust, headers, makes about 424/404 whp/wtq (http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-T...isfitk0003.htm), compared to this supercharged IS350 with 412/324 coupled with the 2IS350s gear ratios and weight advantage, not to forget AWD but that probably negates the weight advantage. I personally think we should wait and see for an actual comparison test in the future. RR racing has stated that the Stage I supercharger has the power to weight of a stock RCF which is slightly faster than a stock ISF 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, so given that the stage II kit has an additional 55-60 whp I don't see how it could be impossible for IS350 to match a FBO ISF, but obviously the full potential of the ISF is leaps and bounds higher than the IS350.
Thank you. This is the point I was trying to make.

to be honest redspencer you sound like you have a thing against the isF and are just stating random fact about dyno charts which NEVER show the cars full potential. I guess the extra 70ish pounds of torque the isF generates doesn't really matter? lol
I don't have a problem against the IS-F (I constantly provide technical guidance on the IS-F sub-forum to owners seeking advice; I am also a longtime Lexus/Toyota enthusiast and a former Toyota MKIV Supra owner). I do however have issue with the few egotistical-type IS-F owners that sit on their pedestals and behave like their IS-F is on another stratosphere performance-wise compared to every other car, especially the IS350. Case in point, the annual Car and Driver Lightning Lap records have the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport lapping Virginia International Raceway faster than a 2008 Lexus IS-F.

I would put my stock isF against ANY supercharged is350 and have no problem showing you the isF is bar none the better car and faster. Now factor in full bolt ons and tune its not even going to be close.

show me some lap times and 1/4 mile times with video of "claimed" is350 being as fast as you think its going to be.
RR Racing's 3IS350 AWD test vehicle (which Rafi stated "was quite heavy as it was equipped with air ride suspension and lots of other show car stuff") pulled a 60-125 mph time (equivalent to the 100-200kph benchmark used in Europe) in a little over 9 seconds which RR Racing quotes "...puts this car into seriously fast territory".

Whichever is faster between an IS-F w/ FBO + Tune versus an IS350 w/ SC is up for debate and could go either way but for you to state that an "isf will blow your doors off stock even with you being supercharged" sounds a bit short-sighted and back to my analogy of the few egotistical IS-F owners.

Last edited by redspencer; 02-02-18 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Icetrai350 (07-06-21)
Old 02-03-18, 11:17 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-14-19 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-03-18, 11:25 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Have you driven the ISF, have you driven any V8 if not do your self a favour and buy a ISF.
Old 02-03-18, 11:49 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-14-19 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 07:24 AM
V8Toyota
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think were missing the point here. The question is not can you make an is350 supercharged comparable, its a question of value. I can go get a miata and a driver to blow the doors off anything lexus makes so who cares. If you factor in all the other things the cars don't compare, the 3780 vs 3737 weight is not that significant that everyone keeps mentioning. The brakes and wheels are a huge part of that weight difference, the transmission, the LSD, the torque, the reliability, oiling system, etc are other major components the is350 falls short. Showing a lightning lap from who knows when doesnt matter. the 2008 isf could have done its lap in the rain, there is no way stock for stock those two cars run similar lap times with the same driver under the same conditions. Is the isF a supercar? no lol, but if were discussing overall value purchasing an isf is and will forever be the better car. Any car can be modified to go fast, its just a matter of how much money you want to spend.
Old 02-05-18, 11:53 AM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking for an IS F to replace my IS350, try to save some more to get a decent 2013.
Old 02-05-18, 02:26 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Next project: Supercharged IS F 6MT.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-05-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 02:31 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

^ supercharged ISF* lol
Old 02-05-18, 02:39 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Fixed, haha.

Maybe I should just grab an IS f and swap in a 4GR to get the best transmission, differential, cooling, brakes and wheels, but with that sweet sweet fuel economy.

Jeff
Old 02-05-18, 02:43 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Fixed, haha.

Maybe I should just grab an IS f and swap in a 4GR to get the best transmission, differential, cooling, brakes and wheels, but with that sweet sweet fuel economy.

Jeff
you're probably be the first to suggest swapping a 4GR into the ISF ever LOL. Everyone imagines swapping in the ISF engine in the IS, but I bet there is an ISF out there with a 2JZ... since there are already a couple regular ISs with them
Old 02-05-18, 05:28 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
I think we can all agree with you re ego driven posts.

I was surprised at the lap time image you posted (noting the 2014 IS 350 putting down a faster lap than a 2008 IS F), but alas, upon further investigation, my surprise turned to wishful thinking, as it seems the 2008 IS F lap time was a bit of an anomaly?... but I kinda knew.

If you read up Car and Driver's historical Lighting Lap list somewhat, the more recent F cars posted times ranging from 3:05.4 for the 2011 IS F, to 3:05.8 for the 2015 RC F, and 3:05.9 for the 2016 GS F - oh well.

As to OP's poll, I say upgrade to the F, instead of trying to make a 350 an F.
Hey Patrix,

I planned on refraining from side tracking the OPs original inquiry but I'll add a bit more since the lap times were brought up. Yes, I was fully aware of the more recent VIR times from the more recent year Fs but refrained from including those on my original post as A) majority of IS-F owners are part of the MY 08-09 group and B) my point on the 2014 IS350 F-Sport being comparable to a stock 08 IS-F on a road course was still valid. The 08 IS-F lap time was not necessarily an anomaly. This was discussed on several older threads on the ISF sub-forum when the MY11 made a significant improvement over the 08 model due to the addition of a torsen LSD, improved steering feel and feedback, and a significantly improved suspension setup which removed most of the harsh suspension non compliance and heavy understeer from the original tune. It's well documented that the original suspension tune on the initial IS-F release was good but not great, especially compared to the well established e90 M3. In early 2010, Lexus documented a 2 second lap time improvement at Fuji Speedway over an 08 IS-F with only the addition of a mechanical LSD for the MY10 IS-F. On a 3 minute course like VIR, a significantly improved suspension can help the driver confidently reduce lap times by another 1-2 seconds a minute which is the case with a 11+ IS-F.

On another note, though the 11+ IS-F, RC-F, and GS-F all post times in the 3:05 range at VIR, a Camaro V6 (not a V8) with the 1LE suspension posted an even faster time around VIR (3:04) than these three Lexus F cars.

This re-emphasizes that brute horsepower doesn't necessarily equate to faster lap times over a slower car with a well tuned chassis and suspension.

​​​

Last edited by redspencer; 02-05-18 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 07:28 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
I was surprised to see of a 350 essentially outperforming an F car, my post was simply meant to provide a more current picture of how the current IS 350 stacks up against the most current IS F car tested (no contest).
I agree as well. I'm not particularly impressed with the 2014 3IS350 F-Sport rate of acceleration and the amount of body roll it exhibited on the track when I test drove one at PBIR years ago.

Quick Reply: to supercharge the is350 or buy an isf?