Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best Intake on the Market?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 10:27 PM
savvyp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Intake on the Market?

I just got a 2014 IS350 F-Sport Lexus, and I have to change out the filters...So I thought why not just get a new intake while I'm at it? There's a lot of intakes on the market...so any advice? I'm looking at Takeda, but I'm slightly scared of getting a Cold Air, because I don't want to hydro-lock my engine. Open to basically most hp+ boost, least amount of effort, and best noise. Oh yeah, and is the best cabin filter the toyota oem? Or should I go performance inside as well?

Any answers help ^-^
Old 08-08-17, 05:35 AM
ArmaEdd
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by savvyp
I just got a 2014 IS350 F-Sport Lexus, and I have to change out the filters...So I thought why not just get a new intake while I'm at it? There's a lot of intakes on the market...so any advice? I'm looking at Takeda, but I'm slightly scared of getting a Cold Air, because I don't want to hydro-lock my engine. Open to basically most hp+ boost, least amount of effort, and best noise. Oh yeah, and is the best cabin filter the toyota oem? Or should I go performance inside as well?

Any answers help ^-^
I have the takeda and absolute love it and the inlet sits higher the stock intake and sounds much better both outside and inside the cabin then OEM. Unless your car bumper/fender/lining is damaged I wouldn't worry about hydro locking your car. Just don't drive through deep standing water I wouldn't even with the stock intake.
The following users liked this post:
savvyp (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 10:36 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Get the Takeda, very popular intake. You shouldn't have an issue of hydrolocking unless rain gets up to 3-4 feet tall..

Contact us for awesome pricing!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
savvyp (08-08-17)
Old 08-09-17, 01:38 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by savvyp
I'm looking at Takeda, but I'm slightly scared of getting a Cold Air, because I don't want to hydro-lock my engine.
It closer resembles a short ram intake so it sits in the engine bay
Old 08-09-17, 02:18 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you like the existing growl of the intake at WOT with the sound generator you can check out the HPS intake. You can pair it with any drop in filter and not have to worry about getting any water into the engine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3ge...ps-intake.html
Old 10-16-18, 03:48 PM
Alvhemist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on this post? Im seeing three different options and still not sure what to get. I'm looking for a intake for my 15' IS350
Old 10-16-18, 08:06 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

The Takeda is still the most popular.

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 10-17-18, 04:13 PM
Ajowhan
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Is it true that with air intake, you lose power at lower rpm and see the power gain at higher rpm?
Old 10-19-18, 12:56 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

The best system IMO is stock, F Sport system, or F Sport filter drop in.

The stock system has plenty of surface area for the given displacement and engine demands. With aftermarket intakes you usually gain (if at all) performance in one area (the area you don't use that often) and take away from another area (the area you use the most. This is to say low and high rpm.

The stock system on any car is designed with secret insider data only Lexus has using supercomputers and real-time flow analysis. The exact shape, size, flow of the stock system is a balance between performance, noise, vibration, harmonics, throttle response designed precisely by degree'd Lexus engineers. Often times you think you are upgrading when in reality you are downgrading. One of my friends in the BMW world bought the most expensive cold air intakes for our platforms and he ended up selling it due to the poor throttle response and low RPM performance he lost. Big name company too. He said stock performed way better. A well designed aftermarket system may yield additional power to be used at high RPM, like say on a race track. But we do most of our driving on the street. Expect cool looks but don't expect real world benefits other than noise and looks.

Also Mighty Car Mods did a video showing aftermarket cold air intakes making power is a myth. In their exhaustive testing, they showed they actually lost power with aftermarket intakes. They even exaggerated one and made a huge long hose extended outside of the car. 0
difference.

If it were me, I'd get a stock drop in Lexus Blue F Sport filter, F Sport intake, or just keep it stock.
The following 6 users liked this post by E46CT:
Pacific13 (10-21-18), PATCHEZ (09-21-19), TLeexus (05-21-20), whoismiked (09-22-19), zhifan1 (11-03-18), ZZZzz (05-14-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-18, 05:33 AM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT

The stock system has plenty of surface area for the given displacement and engine demands. With aftermarket intakes you usually gain (if at all) performance in one area (the area you don't use that often) and take away from another area (the area you use the most. This is to say low and high rpm.

The stock system on any car is designed with secret insider data only Lexus has using supercomputers and real-time flow analysis. The exact shape, size, flow of the stock system is a balance between performance, noise, vibration, harmonics, throttle response designed precisely by degree'd Lexus engineers. Often times you think you are upgrading when in reality you are downgrading. One of my friends in the BMW world bought the most expensive cold air intakes for our platforms and he ended up selling it due to the poor throttle response and low RPM performance he lost. Big name company too. He said stock performed way better. A well designed aftermarket system may yield additional power to be used at high RPM, like say on a race track. But we do most of our driving on the street. Expect cool looks but don't expect real world benefits other than noise and looks.

Also Mighty Car Mods did a video showing aftermarket cold air intakes making power is a myth. In their exhaustive testing, they showed they actually lost power with aftermarket intakes. They even exaggerated one and made a huge long hose extended outside of the car. 0
difference.

If it were me, I'd get a stock drop in Lexus Blue F Sport filter, F Sport intake, or just keep it stock.
Well said.
Old 11-03-18, 06:38 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT

difference.

I found the air filter on amazon
here here
with free shipping. Is $79.99 a reasonable price or I can get it at a better price elsewhere? Thanks.

Last edited by zhifan1; 11-03-18 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-03-18, 10:27 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
I found the air filter on amazon here with free shipping. Is $79.99 a reasonable price or I can get it at a better price elsewhere? Thanks.
You might be able to find it on ebay a little cheaper. Otherwise, that's the going price these days.
zhifan1 (11-03-18)
Old 09-21-19, 12:18 PM
Adrian3IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Get the Takeda, very popular intake. You shouldn't have an issue of hydrolocking unless rain gets up to 3-4 feet tall..

Contact us for awesome pricing!

-Josh
Hey I know this is late but Josh I would like to know what the Takeda intake costs from Meraki ? Thanks !
Adrian
Old 09-21-19, 01:53 PM
PATCHEZ
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian3IS
Hey I know this is late but Josh I would like to know what the Takeda intake costs from Meraki ? Thanks !
Adrian
dm him for pricing
Old 09-22-19, 10:28 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by Adrian3IS
Adrian
Message or text us please!

-Josh

Orange County, CA

Quick Reply: Best Intake on the Market?