Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake mod results

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 08:02 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by DickH
If that is what I typed, that is what was read from the obd port. Since changing my exhaust I have seen low 250s and I believe when it was all stock I wasn't breaking 210g/sec. I am not sure if we can directly compare maf readings due to differences in elevation and whatnot. I remember looking into it at some point and I would gain something like 3-4% just from the difference in air density if I visited redspencer.
Mainly was looking at the 7,500 RPM w/220 g/s. You have the RR tune? I didn't recall seeing it.

Changed what in the exhaust, did you install the smaller primary tube headers? IIRC we are both of the mindset that the standard 350 primaries are too large ID for our application. Less all you do is WOT throttle 24/7. Yes?

This AM it was 38°F outside and I purposely bounced it off the Rev Limiter:
MAF = 228 g/s @ 6,650 RPM

Mike, just running a fleabay ELM 327 bluetooth.
Its not great for speed if the time interval is set to minimum. If I grab another I may opt for wifi.

What is interesting is the car maintains connection via bluetooth while streaming OBD data. Obviously I turn it off if getting serious about data collection.

Are you saying the MAF volume is not seen by your adapter? Like its not an option to view that output?
Old 01-30-19, 08:08 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Mainly was looking at the 7,500 RPM w/220 g/s. You have the RR tune? I didn't recall seeing it.

Changed what in the exhaust, did you install the smaller primary tube headers? IIRC we are both of the mindset that the standard 350 primaries are too large ID for our application. Less all you do is WOT throttle 24/7. Yes?

This AM it was 38°F outside and I purposely bounced it off the Rev Limiter:
MAF = 228 g/s @ 6,650 RPM

Mike, just running a fleabay ELM 327 bluetooth.
Its not great for speed if the time interval is set to minimum. If I grab another I may opt for wifi.

What is interesting is the car maintains connection via bluetooth while streaming OBD data. Obviously I turn it off if getting serious about data collection.

Are you saying the MAF volume is not seen by your adapter? Like its not an option to view that output?
No I'm saying I don't have one. I'll try to get one of ebay so I can use it with the torque app. I just want make sure it's compatible with the can bus system.

just placed an order for: WIFI

So I see it comes with an install disc. I'm assuming it's for running their own software. Since I'll be running the Torque app I won't be needing the disc set up? Sorry I'm new to this Bluetooth stuff. I'm used to just hooking up my obdII scanner.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 01-30-19 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-30-19, 10:26 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Numbers from a stock 2013 2GR-FSE.
MAF sensor g/s 225 @6,533 RPM whereby the AFR dropped to 12.0 in PWR mode. Need to repeat in normal mode.

@redspencer Redspsencer can you post up your numbers with your current mods?
Here are the results of my latest datalogs from doing WOT pulls in 3rd gear using the 2IS JoeZ Intake pipe and the 3IS F-Sport Intake pipe w/ Sound Generator. Outside temperatures were near identical on the days I did these tests.

I actually did a few more WOT pulls this morning using the 3IS F-Sport intake pipe and with an IAT of 60 degrees, the MAF g/s was reading between 250-251 g/s.

Pretty good but the 3IS pipe still couldn't match the peak MAF g/s of 254.7 g/s that I recorded with the JoeZ intake pipe.
Old 01-30-19, 02:39 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Good info. Thanks! Is it still pulling past 7k?

O/T but does rev limit light come on at 6500 or did it move up with the flash value (7200)?
Old 01-30-19, 04:13 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Good info. Thanks! Is it still pulling past 7k?

O/T but does rev limit light come on at 6500 or did it move up with the flash value (7200)?
I would think it's still pulling past 7k as that's where I'm getting the highest MAF g/s readings. Now that I got rid of the restrictive OEM midpipes, I need to return back to the dyno while the weather is cool to see how the powerband has improved.

Regarding the rev limit light, it still turns red at 6700+ RPM but it works out for me as I have to initiate the upshift 300-500 RPMs before the needle hits 7200 RPMs in order to account for the transmission software lag.
Old 01-30-19, 05:34 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Ok I clocked 153.6 g/s right at bouncing of the rev limiter. 4th gear pull to redline.

Outside temp 50
Mods
Just AEM drop in air filter/Tanabe rear section exhaust.

Does this seem about right?

I did a fresh ECU reset this morning. So it's still idling weird.
Old 02-01-19, 09:00 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Ok I clocked 153.6 g/s right at bouncing of the rev limiter. 4th gear pull to redline.

Outside temp 50
Mods
Just AEM drop in air filter/Tanabe rear section exhaust.

Does this seem about right?

I did a fresh ECU reset this morning. So it's still idling weird.
No clue. I haven't seen many 250 owners post any data. Maybe start a new thread and see if others will contribute?

Old 02-28-19, 08:21 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Well I have spent money to start the next round of intake modifications. I have recently gone back to poking at my model for a performance oriented manifold and while doing this I needed some measurements. I have now ordered an upper intake to go with my spare lower. After I get the measurements I need I intend on taking it apart to see if there might be anything to clean up for improvements. My hopes aren't too high, but while googling things I have found that there are a few cars with plastic manifolds that have seen gains from cleaning up and/or porting. I might even try to modify the plenum to accept a larger throttle body, I have a gut feeling that there are gains to be had with a larger plenum and a 75mm throttle body.
Old 02-28-19, 08:36 AM
kenji211
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Well I have spent money to start the next round of intake modifications. I have recently gone back to poking at my model for a performance oriented manifold and while doing this I needed some measurements. I have now ordered an upper intake to go with my spare lower. After I get the measurements I need I intend on taking it apart to see if there might be anything to clean up for improvements. My hopes aren't too high, but while googling things I have found that there are a few cars with plastic manifolds that have seen gains from cleaning up and/or porting. I might even try to modify the plenum to accept a larger throttle body, I have a gut feeling that there are gains to be had with a larger plenum and a 75mm throttle body.

Now we are talking. I have experience with modifying other types of vehicles and a (prudently) larger throttle body diameter can certainly yield HP gains throughout the RPMs.

I have yet to see anybody bore a stock IS350 throttle body. I'm not saying it hasn't been done...I'm just saying that I haven't seen it.

How about you guys?

-Kenji
Old 02-28-19, 11:46 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Old 03-01-19, 07:13 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

On the topic of the upper intake manifold I will make the assumption that it is not glued together. Most components like that are actually sonically welded whereby they are forced together while oscillating at a high frequency which induces friction and heat thus melting them and fusing them as one. The slag looking material at the joints is the fusion of them melting and may in fact exist on the inside too if they didn't leave a step / i.e. gap where there is no contact at the inner edge.

DH, how do you intend to cut this apart?
Oh for a flow bench and a spare head to assemble this thing on!!!
Old 03-01-19, 10:00 PM
DickH
Intermediate

I'm going to assume the upper is nylon and most likely fused together. I'll just have to figure out the details after I get the spare upper. The upper was only $40 so I'm not really out much if I cut it up and can't get it back together.
Old 03-02-19, 09:54 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redspencer
Here are the results of my latest datalogs from doing WOT pulls in 3rd gear using the 2IS JoeZ Intake pipe and the 3IS F-Sport Intake pipe w/ Sound Generator. Outside temperatures were near identical on the days I did these tests.

I actually did a few more WOT pulls this morning using the 3IS F-Sport intake pipe and with an IAT of 60 degrees, the MAF g/s was reading between 250-251 g/s.

Pretty good but the 3IS pipe still couldn't match the peak MAF g/s of 254.7 g/s that I recorded with the JoeZ intake pipe.
I can add some data here on the 3IS intake pipe non resonated.

With the stock intake pipe I clock 153.3-6 g/s consistently.

Putting on the 3IS pipe I can only clock 150.3 3-6 g/s consistently.

Having the stock, or aftermarket AEM dryflow filter doesn't make a change on the g/s readings.

Yep I'll definitely need a tune if I want to see a slight increase.

Also I no longer have the F sport lower air box mod. So I never got a chance to test the readings.
Old 03-04-19, 10:04 PM
DickH
Intermediate

I have now invested $100 into a high temp hot glue gun setup for nylon. I spent way too much time reading stuff online before finding that you can get nylon glue sticks. I now feel much more confident in my ability to execute this properly. My spare manifold sould be delivered tomorrow, I'm hoping to have everything else in a week. I will probably have the first upper done by the end of next week. It's a real bummer that it's currently winter and I won't be able to test it out right away.
Old 03-08-19, 06:38 AM
DickH
Intermediate

So I have the spare manifold, not sure if I'll be able to open it up cleanly due to how it's put together. Fortunately it looks like both seams can be reached from the bottom of the runners and I'll be able to smoothen out where the alignment wasn't all that great. There are several spots where I'm feeling a 1/16" to 1/8" lip that shouldn't be too hard to fix. The area right behind the throttle body could also use some attention. I have started working on it, but will have to wait until some stuff shows up to finish.

I've been thinking about how I could be increase plenum volume and I think I'm going to make block off plates and try using compressed air and a torch to inflate the manifold. I'm not expecting to add much but I think it would help.

​​​​​

Quick Reply: Intake mod results