Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lexus gs300 gas pedal issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 04:17 PM
Bongizzle
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus gs300 gas pedal issue

Good evening everyone. I'm having a issue with my 1998 gs300 this morning on my way to work the car was driving normal but some weird loss of acceleration occured I had to apply more pressure to the gas pedal then usual in order for it to even accelerate. It's weird because the idle and start up are normal and when you apply more pressure to the gas pedal it drives normal... I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it?
Old 02-26-20, 05:52 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

Do you have an engine light come on? Id check for codes, or stop by an Autozone and have codes scanned. The APP or TPS (accelerator position sensor) and (throttle position sensor) are the likely area to focus on. Both are on the Throttle assembly. If there are no codes to point towards any systems, I'd start by giving the throttle a good scrubbing and resetting the ECU. Because of the long snout, this means removing the throttle so you can brush off all the gunk and carbon around and behind the blade. This is also a good time to do spark plugs/wires since they will be accessible, but up to you. What you are experiencing sounds like a "limp mode" that cars go into when the throttle starts going out of parameters. This happens over time as it gums up with carbon build up. To fix the issue, clean off the gunk and disconnect the battery to reset the computer. Otherwise it will try to run the clean throttle like the dirty one. Idle will be way to high etc. Touching the positive and negative cables together is an instant way to clear the ecu. Otherwise just leave them disconnected for 15-20 minutes.

How many miles on the car? Since your issue seems like just a regular need for maintenance, some things to consider are: Make sure you have a clean air filter, if you have high oil build up around the throttle, it's time for a new PCV valve. Throttle should be cleaned when a car reaches 100K. More regularly after that. Same with spark plugs/plug wires. It might be time fore them again depending on your miles. Do you have any knowledge on the maintenance of the car? Timing belt/ water pump services?
Old 02-28-20, 05:05 AM
Bongizzle
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Do you have an engine light come on? Id check for codes, or stop by an Autozone and have codes scanned. The APP or TPS (accelerator position sensor) and (throttle position sensor) are the likely area to focus on. Both are on the Throttle assembly. If there are no codes to point towards any systems, I'd start by giving the throttle a good scrubbing and resetting the ECU. Because of the long snout, this means removing the throttle so you can brush off all the gunk and carbon around and behind the blade. This is also a good time to do spark plugs/wires since they will be accessible, but up to you. What you are experiencing sounds like a "limp mode" that cars go into when the throttle starts going out of parameters. This happens over time as it gums up with carbon build up. To fix the issue, clean off the gunk and disconnect the battery to reset the computer. Otherwise it will try to run the clean throttle like the dirty one. Idle will be way to high etc. Touching the positive and negative cables together is an instant way to clear the ecu. Otherwise just leave them disconnected for 15-20 minutes.

How many miles on the car? Since your issue seems like just a regular need for maintenance, some things to consider are: Make sure you have a clean air filter, if you have high oil build up around the throttle, it's time for a new PCV valve. Throttle should be cleaned when a car reaches 100K. More regularly after that. Same with spark plugs/plug wires. It might be time fore them again depending on your miles. Do you have any knowledge on the maintenance of the car? Timing belt/ water pump services?
Yes the check engine light is currently on. The car has 195070 miles and yes I believe it is limp mode Because the thing is I have to floor it in order to get it to move and then when it does it takes time to reach 60 it's very slow. The previous owner did drive the car much because he said the water pump went out and changed it.

Last edited by Bongizzle; 02-29-20 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-29-20, 04:19 AM
Bongizzle
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bongizzle
Yes the check engine light is currently on. The car has 195070 miles and yes I believe it is limp mode Because the thing is I have to floor it in order to get it to move and then when it does it takes time to reach 60 it's very slow. The previous owner did drive the car much because he said the water pump went out and changed it.
*​UPDATE* The codes p0135, p1121 and p1120 came up I did some research and found out that it's the apps and possibly the tps sensor but its notorious for tripping both if one sensor gets spooked the whole system goes down causing the limp mode I was experiencing and thus the reason why I was only able to get the car to move with the pedal to the metal. I guess that's just a precautionary measure to get you home by toyota. I picked up a rather clean and great condition throttle body with all the sensors from a guy here in Houston who was parting out his car seems like I hit the jackpot cause his vehicle was souped up so I know it was in good hands and I got it for 50 bucks!