Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F Sport Intake or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 11:18 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
that's about it. here's the theory to the solution/belief. the f sport or joe z pipes are metal...I believe they're aluminum and though it is smoother on the inside, with it's location (being above the engine), members believe that there is an issue with the heat soaking. there have been dynos that have shown hp loss due to the joe z intake in our gen. I haven't seen a dyno with the f sport kit, but it's pretty much the same type of tube. the stock set up uses an enclosed air box w/ a ram air tube the feeds into the box. the only "issue" with the stock filter is that it's very dense and restrictive. adding the f sport filter element (or any other am filter element) helps w/ more air coming through. there are some short ram intakes that come w/ a heat shield that's designed to separate the heat from the open cone filter as well. but again, those kits come with an aluminum tube. I haven't seen the dynos from those kits, but several owners swear that they get great throttle response after the install. here's the one thing that always gets me though. some members buy an intake kit for looks or sound. yes I understand that everyone has their own...i'll just leave it at that. i'll just say this, if you're one of those guys, it doesn't matter which kit you buy.

until a company makes a carbon fiber tube or maybe a smoother tube (than the stock plastic) that's not susceptible to heat soaking, I'm going to stick w/ the stock tube. or maybe if a heat shield is made to cover the headers/exhaust manifold would be a plus as well. there was a company called luxury motorworks that made one for the first gen IS and it worked great.
Afe intake came with plastic tube.

Old 06-17-15, 11:44 PM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MWIS350
Afe intake came with plastic tube.

AFE magnum force cold air intake is the best out yet on the market because of their pipe
Old 06-17-15, 11:59 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mesh704
AFE magnum force cold air intake is the best out yet on the market because of their pipe
You have some picture of the Magnum?
Old 06-18-15, 07:44 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

again, how can anyone say that intake "x" (in this case, afe) is the best w/o any real proof? I really want to believe that there's an intake system out there that gives some bang, but as of now, it's hearsay. and no...butt dynos don't count! haha.

I believe the afe magnum looks the same, but has a different filter element...or just has a new name.
Old 06-18-15, 10:53 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Afe Intake that block out hot air like this will work.

Old 06-18-15, 11:16 AM
cp2
Racer

Geezus...whether it works is NOT the question. Any intake will work. The issue is how much hp the intake will produce!!!
Old 06-18-15, 11:35 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cp2
Geezus...whether it works is NOT the question. Any intake will work. The issue is how much hp the intake will produce!!!
Combine with midepipe, header, exhaust. Member in CL they say intake gain is about 5HP gain at Dyno , but many manufacture claims that their intake gain up 15HP.

Short ram intake that have no heat shields, suck in hot air that will make your car lose power.
Old 06-18-15, 12:06 PM
cp2
Racer

Combine with midepipe, header, exhaust. Member in CL they say intake gain is about 5HP gain at Dyno , but many manufacture claims that their intake gain up 15HP.

Short ram intake that have no heat shields, suck in hot air that will make your car lose power.
so what's your point? you quoted what I said a pg back and you just said what I just did with less words. what member are you referring to? post their results on here. there have been dynos done w/ the joe z intake pipe and that showed a loss in power; that's w/ an enclosed air box that draws cooler ram air. all of the intakes made for this car are "short ram" intakes. some just come with a "heat shield." i have a cat back system and it would be nice to have an after market intake that actually does as advertised. I'd do ppe headers too, but they will not pass smog.

I'm just saying that every time there's an intake post, mesh704 chimes in every time and talking about how afe magnum is the best. I, as well as others, just want proof...and not from the manufacturers. i'll say it right now, if someone comes in here and shows a dyno with legit numbers that shows anything close to what afe claims, i'll try and be the first one in line to buy their product! buying a short ram intake w/ a shield is no different from the stock set up w/ a better flowing filter element.
Old 06-18-15, 01:26 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intake is just for sound guys. Oem filter, im sure exceeds the amount of air required by the engine. Unless you have a super charger and full exhaust, car wont be able to utilize all the extra air you suck in anyways.
Sure its nice knowing your car is being well fed and breathing strong. But enough with this 15hp without a super charger bizz.
Old 06-18-15, 01:34 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Afe Intake that block out hot air like this will work.

Looks super cool. Never seen an after market closed box like that with cone folter. Looks pretty solid. Although we are just theorizing now.
Its a nice little set up and i guess it shouldnt hurt performance seeing how its rigged similarly to factory box.
So if your into to that stuff go for it!

Cp2 get it and dyno it for our scientific purposes lol!
Old 06-18-15, 01:40 PM
cp2
Racer

I'm not fallin for the banana
Old 06-18-15, 02:13 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sexis350
Intake is just for sound guys. Oem filter, im sure exceeds the amount of air required by the engine. Unless you have a super charger and full exhaust, car wont be able to utilize all the extra air you suck in anyways.
Sure its nice knowing your car is being well fed and breathing strong. But enough with this 15hp without a super charger bizz.
I got Afe Intake, Tanabe Exhaust and Invidia Midepipe. Sound great with ECT PWR mode on after 4,000RPM.
Old 06-18-15, 02:17 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

PPE header will be on my next list with Dyno prove of 15 HP gain. Will sound great with Intake, middle, exhausts.
Old 07-28-15, 03:11 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Bit the bullet because i wanted more aggresive engine note at higher rpm and bought afe power cai.

Gotta say i was hesistant for a while but this intake is on point. Best in slot intake for this car.
Had the k/n and fsport drop in filter but didnt do anything.

This afe magnum pro force though.. i like it better than my ark exhaust. I dunno if its because i got full cat too, but my butt dyno likes it more than my ark catback as well in terms of car responsiveness/performance and engine note. No regrets. Highly recommended.
Old 07-28-15, 03:25 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sexis350
Bit the bullet because i wanted more aggresive engine note at higher rpm and bought afe power cai.

Gotta say i was hesistant for a while but this intake is on point. Best in slot intake for this car.
Had the k/n and fsport drop in filter but didnt do anything.

This afe magnum pro force though.. i like it better than my ark exhaust. I dunno if its because i got full cat too, but my butt dyno likes it more than my ark catback as well in terms of car responsiveness/performance and engine note. No regrets. Highly recommended.
You got picture of Afe Magnum? I cover bottom and top of my Afe stage 2 intake to block out heat from engine bay and it seem to work.

Quick Reply: F Sport Intake or Not?