Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharger questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 04:48 PM
byujakedmb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Supercharger questions

So I own a 3is 350, but i get mostly negative feedback when trying to ask questions on the 3is performance forum, so I figured I'd ask my questions here (also because the only boosted IS i know of are 2nd gen). Please don't move this discussion to the 3is forum as the questions mostly concern superchargers in general and not so much the car.

To those with experience installing superchargers on the IS (or just general automotive expertise), I was wondering a couple of things:

1) did you use a centrifugal supercharger?
2) what supercharger did you use or do you recommend?
3) did you use the stock mass airflow sensor?
4) did you change any part of the fuel system (pump, injectors, etc)?
5) did you retard the timing at all? how much and what did you use to do it?
6) what intake system do you have?
7) are you using an intercooler? which one and do you like it? can you notice a substantial difference with it?
8) what a/f ratio do you target? when is lean too lean?
9) do you have any other tips, recommendations, etc. about putting a supercharger on the is350?

I see about 7-9 lbs of boost is what most are using with little to no problems. is the pressurized air being properly read by the MAF? I would assume it would have to be with no tune available for our cars, right? Thanks for any info/help. I am not looking for a lesson in hp/$ efficiency and I dont care to buy a different car. I fully understand economic utility and any comments about trading in for an is-f will be completely ignored.Thanks again!
Old 12-11-13, 06:35 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You're best bet would be to start with this setup :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...ries-lqqk.html

Then piece together the other accessories needed to complete the kit. As far as I know, those who have ran a S/C setup on the factory fuel/tune had not had any issues up to 7-8 psi. Not sure if anything beyond that has been explored...yet.
Old 12-11-13, 08:36 PM
byujakedmb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gville350
You're best bet would be to start with this setup :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...ries-lqqk.html

Then piece together the other accessories needed to complete the kit. As far as I know, those who have ran a S/C setup on the factory fuel/tune had not had any issues up to 7-8 psi. Not sure if anything beyond that has been explored...yet.
thanks, definitely interested.
Old 12-12-13, 06:29 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Luv to see people modding this platform!
QUOTE=byujakedmb;8276976So I own a 3is 350, but i get mostly negative feedback when trying to ask questions on the 3is performance forum, so I figured I'd ask my questions here (also because the only boosted IS i know of are 2nd gen). Please don't move this discussion to the 3is forum as the questions mostly concern superchargers in general and not so much the car.

To those with experience installing superchargers on the IS (or just general automotive expertise), I was wondering a couple of things:

1) did you use a centrifugal supercharger?
Yes, Procharger c1 and c2. Rotrex c38-71 and c38-81. No comparison unless you have a gem of a procharger that doesn't break.

2) what supercharger did you use or do you recommend?
Hands down, Rotrex if you want a "one and done" setup.

3) did you use the stock mass airflow sensor?
Its a must, 100% stock, no clamped voltage or tricks.

4) did you change any part of the fuel system (pump, injectors, etc)?
You'll need to at over 7.5psi.

5) did you retard the timing at all? how much and what did you use to do it?
I can write a book about this but the short answer is let the stock ecu tune for you.

6) what intake system do you have?
Its all custom with forced induction. You can "start" by buying a cheap ebay cold air intake as it will already have a maf flange in place and a decent bend from your TB to intake box.

7) are you using an intercooler? which one and do you like it? can you notice a substantial difference with it?
Its a MUST; this isn't a mustang. You will need a way to keep IAT as cool as possible. Not only a FMIC but also 50/50 water/meth injection to cool intake charge as well. FMIC Core 27 x 6 x 3.5 fits very well on the stock bumper beam and lower opening not to mention its extremely efficient.

8) what a/f ratio do you target? when is lean too lean?
Search my posts as well as some other members. 12.0 made me nervous at first but the ecu compensated and settles 11-11.7. Occasionally I would get 12 and once a 12.5 afr with 7lbs WOT but I never knocked or shut down.

9) do you have any other tips, recommendations, etc. about putting a supercharger on the is350?
Its pleasantly simple and never in my car history have I owned a car that tuned itself this well with added boost...esp 7psi!

I see about 7-9 lbs of boost is what most are using with little to no problems. is the pressurized air being properly read by the MAF? I would assume it would have to be with no tune available for our cars, right? Thanks for any info/help. I am not looking for a lesson in hp/$ efficiency and I dont care to buy a different car. I fully understand economic utility and any comments about trading in for an is-f will be completely ignored.Thanks again!

Thanks Gville350, you speak the truth!

Last edited by mikellucci; 12-12-13 at 06:32 AM.